Suggestions for a new laptop

TallTom

Registered
I have a 6 year old Sony VAIO A270P that is getting tired. Wireless flakes out, hinge is broken, etc. In its day it was the shcnizzle. Now it's easily outdone by pretty much anything.

I'd like to consider replacing her with something reasonable in price yet pretty capable.

Want to go smaller screen this time. Lighter weight. I need to word process, s/s etc there. No games or if I do they won't be too intense on graphics. Multi-media would be good but not demanded. At least 140 H/D and no less than 1M of Ram. I'm not tech savvy enough to know the rest of the bells and whistles. My Sony worked great and served me well. I'd like to be on par with what that did.

Like to see what is out there for sub 450. Does not have to be brand new but I don't want something 2 years old ready to be retired either.

Suggestions.

I use a Mac, but my Bro. has nothing bad to say about Toshibas. Think he gave around $550 for his last one. He gave his old one to his daughter that she still uses.

Inspiron M101z Laptop Details | Dell $429 2GB Memory, small screen, 4 lbs...can't really do much better based on what you're asking for. :)

Size of a netbook, with the power of a laptop. Dell really does have unparalleled pricing and service after the sale in my opinion. I know a lot of people like to dog Dell, but they're the big kid on the block, it's understandable. In my experience, I have only had one defective issue with a Dell, and they replaced the part overnight, no questions asked.

Last edited:
Suggest you start checking in regularly on slickdeals.net (yes, dot net, not dot com). This is a forum where people post deals on stuff and good deals float to the top, just like the oRg. Lots of good lappy deals. I bought a Lenovo 15" a few months ago for about $370 shipped. Not the highest end machine, but good enough. Even the low end processors today are dual core. (avoid the atom processors!)

For what it's worth, I'm writing this on my iPad. Now this little thing just blows me away. It's taken over probably 70% of my web browsing, and maybe 40% of my day to day work use. Battery lasts about 10 hours and the display is amazing!

for what you are lookig for i suggest asus. The are tough as nails and run very well. i have had at least 4 of them. I will continue to buy them as well. I suggest checking craigslist for the price you are wanting to spend it will be tough to find a new one that meets your needs. Without it being loaded with bloatware. the dells are nice but seem to have some motherboard issues. Toshibas are solid but once again seem to have way to much junk on them. If i was you i would look for a puter with an amd processor. Seem to be the quikest for everyday use.

The Dell 15z is a good PC that you can find on craigslist for around 450. I just bought a lenovo (ibm) y560 that retails for 1400 on craigslist for 550. So be patient and keep your eyes out. The good deals typically only last for a few hours so be persistent with your refresh button.

Even the deals you see in the paper for Best Buy are not bad prices for some of the entry 15.4in'ers. Many to chose from for less than 600 bengi's.

The Dell 15z is a good PC that you can find on craigslist for around 450. I just bought a lenovo (ibm) y560 that retails for 1400 on craigslist for 550. So be patient and keep your eyes out. The good deals typically only last for a few hours so be persistent with your refresh button.

I have seen a lot of the LENOVO lately. New name to me. What drew you to it? How is it and what did you you use for a but decision over the other more recognizable names?

I worry about buying something that is less money that you end up watching fall apart in 2 years.

I really appreciate your inputs guys. Shopping in the next few days to see of any deals.

Keep the inputs coming.

slickdeals.net is a way cool site.

Shop around online, going directly to the manufacturer's sites.

I went with HP, directly from them, Laptop was shipped directly from China to my door customized exactly the way I wanted it. ??? ???

If I had to do this again, it will be a Mac.

If you haven't done already, Google "best laptop under $XXX". You'll find some to look into for reviews. Cnet is pretty good too. Also, if you can hold out till Xmas when all the new models are released, you can find good deals on last years models.

To be more precise I know I can google and get back anything under a certain price. I just don't know what is good and what isn't when it comes ot brands, features etc for the price. Remember back when I purchased my Sony last, on-board built in wireless was a high end option. Now this is so routine they all have it.

And what may have been a good brand back them may be crap now as companies change their cost/profit structures.

HP used to be a crap desktop...now they seem to be right up there.

And I'm not real techie when it comes to knowing what to look for.

But great suggestions here so far.

Macbook Pro :thumbsup: I love mine but its definitely not in the bargain market but i feel its definitely a lasting machine :thumbsup:

Sorry, yea. I have had my Lenovo y560 for a month now and absolutely love it. Zero problems whatsoever with it, and I couldn't be happier. By far the best keyboard that I have used.

What drew me to it? Best components on the market (fastest cpu, biggest hdd, quality lcd panel, ddr3 ram) for nearly half the price of many others.

Highly recommend.

check out newegg.com and and get asus or toshiba. they are the best quality products, asus is my first choice , I build and fix computers, and I will buy asus parts before anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back