rifle suggestions

teamorion22

Registered
Soon I will be in the market for a semi auto for my 14 year old brother. He want to go dear hunting with me. The rifle needs 2 be powerful enough 2 kill a buck at around one hundred yards but I don't want it 2 knock him on his azz. And I will probably buy it used. I appreciate any suggestions
michael

.270 will take down anything in N America and isn't terribly bad to hang on to. My son can shoot my .308 fine, we do need to work on how he holds it, kicks his shoulder a bit.

A .223 would be a piece of cake to use, but I'm not sure how well it would take a deer without a very well placed shot.

I'm unfamiliar with how the .243 shoots, but is a popular youth rifle around here and might be a good inbetween caliber.

Good luck and clean kills!

I'd go with a 30.06. Their only like 350 at Academy for a decend bolt. If your looking for used then go to Cabelas online and checkout their gun room area.

i am left handed so I don't really want to buy him a right handed bolt action that I will probably end up firing more than he does. thats why I am looking for a semi auto. I have fired my friends 270 and I didnt think it kicked bad. I'll probably borrow it and go 2 the range with my lil bro and see how he takes 2 it.

Take a look in your local pawn/gun shops. They can usually give you some pretty good advice if in the used gun side.

243 is a good starter rifle. Just enough, but not too much for a young un~!~

You can usually pick up a decent rifle for around $400, but seems a good scope is what goes over the price range any more~!~

.25-06 is another caliber that would be a good choice.
Posted via Mobile Device

I shoot a 243 but I bought my son a 270. The knock down power is better on the 270 but I love my 243. It definatly will do the job but shot placement is a crutial. Sometimes the 243 won't pass through but it makes a mess inside. 30 06 will make him not want to pull the trigger. I had one and couldn't make accurate shots because of the kick so went to the smaller caliber. Never any regrets.:thumbsup:

You definitely want something that is easy to shoot....243, .25-06, or a .270...anyone of them would be a good choice. A .30-06 although a great round and has dropped more game than probably any other caliber in the world is gonna kick too hard for a novice shooter.

Check out this one Stevens Mod 200
It is a nice rifle for the price range. My Bro-n-Law has one and shoots less than M.O.A. at 100yards with factory ammo.

Also do not have preconceptions about recoil with your brother. What ever he hears from you is how he will react to the gun no matter the caliber. I have personally seen 6'+ 200lb+ men that couldn't handle a 30-06 and 5' 120lb women that can shoot a 458 Win Mag. No one ever knows until they shoot what each one's personal tolerance is. Let your brother decide what he wants and can handle. The more involved he is in the entire process the more he will thrive in the pursuit. The more important factors should be
1- SAFETY
2- Have fun If it's not enjoyable the rest is a moot point.
3-SAFETY
4- Get a gun that fits the person that is primarily going to shoot it.
5- Safety
6- proper form both in mounting the gun and shooting
7- Safety
8- Proper hearing protection It is amazing how much the muzzle blast affects the perception of "felt" recoil.
9- Safety
10-Have fun

Also most manufacturers offer managed recoil loads that are good for target practice and at reasonable range have close point of impact to their full power cousins. This will need to be confirmed in the individual firearm.

Good luck and good on you for getting him involved!!:beerchug:

Scope? He's only looking for a hundred yard rifle.:whistle:

After he kills one he's gonna want to go past the back yard~!~ :laugh:
You're right though, a scope can be added at any time later if he wants one...just sayin, they seem to be a good portion of the cost anymore.

Marlin or Winchester 30/30 Lever Action.:thumbsup:

Didn't think about the 30-30...great rifle~!~

Grew up with one and killed my first deer with it

great advice everyone. thanks. I never really though about what busabret says about the perception of recoil. good stuff. I plan on taking my .30 06, my friends 270, and I can probably get my other friends 243 then goin to the range. After that I will take him 2 the gun/pawn shops. He is enrolled in the huntersafety program in a couple weeks. he has already taken the quizes online and he learned alot.
if there is anything else you guys can think of let me know
thanks again
michael

I don't believe you mentioned if he has done much shooting or not...be sure to get him good ear protection, not only to protect his ears as stated before but also to let him feel the gun shoot without getting "gun shy" from the noise~!~

My wife will shoot anything, even a 454 or 44 mag, as long as she has ear protection. I know in the woods he can't use, but starting out and getting him used to the gun it helps tremendously~!~

a 270 is bassicaly a 30-06 case neck down for a 27 cal bullet.a 30-30 is a good brush gun about 200 yards max distance but a good deer gun.

Back