rattling noise and jerking

nczukrider

Registered
Whats up everyone I have an 04 busa. I just changed my rear sprocket to a 42 tooth sprocket I put every thing back together tightened the chain. When I put it in gear as it was on the stands I heard a rattling noise coming from the rear wheel and as the tire was spinning it was jerking in some spots.

To elaborate on this I put the bike in first and observed what appeared to be a wobbling motion in the back tire while the bike was in gear. It spins freely then jerks spins freely then jerks.

My thoughts... Did you replace the chain or justthe rear sprocket? How many miles on the chain? Did you adjust that chain on the ground or in the air? Did you adjust the chain with the tq arm loosened of torqued?

Remember that the rear has no resistance on it in the air so the movememnt of the chain is much more visible... if it is jerking, it might be bouncing onthe front sprocket if it is too loose.

My .02 is that you may have a combination of chain 2 loose, plus wheel out of aligment (slightly is enough)

Also, if you didn't loosen the torque arm, ther is a tendance for the tire to kick out when torquing the rear axle...

Sounds like the chain has some links that are binding. Still the original chain?

(nczukrider @ Jul. 23 2007,12:30) To elaborate on this I put the bike in first and observed what appeared to be a wobbling motion in the back tire while the bike was in gear. It spins freely then jerks spins freely then jerks.
Are all of your Cush drive rubbers in and seated?

Its still the original chain, it only has 8k ok on it. I did try to adjust while in the air (duh). No I did not loosen the torque arm. What should I do now?

I took it off the rear stand and tried to adjust but when I did the left side the chain got so tight that it had no play at all . I have the adjustment blocks lined up with markings on the swingarms on both sides.

Reloosen your axle nut and the torque arm, adjust the chain to about 2-3 inches of movement and tighten the axle, then tighten the arm. Don' t forget the codder key

beerchug.gif
Happy to help, ride safe.

Sorry, just now got back in to see this... what happens is that with the tq arm fully tightened, sometimes it pulls the axle forward a little when torquing the axle, so you end up with a misaligned wheel...

Back