Engine rattle on decel...

Furball

Registered
Just changed oil to synthetic and have just a little too much in right now...that is the only change since I started noticing this rattling noise near the left lower section of the engine on deceleration....If I am cruising along at 60mph in 6th and let of the throttle a rattle starts at about 2150rpm and stops around 2000rpm....Does anyone have any clue what could be making this type of noise...

I wonder if it is clutch chatter or maybe the front sprocket....any other ideas....The bike is an 04 and has close to 9000 miles on it....When do sprockets and chains usually wear on these....Rear sprocket looks good, but not sure about the front....

If anyone can give me some ideas I would appreciate it.....thanks....

Could be something as simple as the notorous wind screen vibration....do a search.

Did a search and found nothing, and it was definitely near the engine....The chain was a little loose so I tightened it up and the sound pretty much went away....So I think it may have just been extra slack in the chain (thank god)....Just put 1100 miles on the bike last weekend and I guess the chain got a little stretched....

That and try coasting it... get up to speed and kill the engine. Do you still hear it when coasting. This will give you an ear for the body work, wheels, bearings....

If it happens when warming it's the valves. The self adjuster takes a bit to get pressurized. I just let mine warm up good the first start each day, then take off.

Mine does the same thing but only when its cold. Once its warmed up it goes away. Is this normal?? Bike has 4500 miles.

It was definitely the drive chain tension....haven't heard it in weeks....it was happening all the time hot or cold...and I do let the engine run for a good 30 secs b4 taking off

Back