Engine Rattle on Decel

loboboy

Donating Member
Registered
Ok guys I have been having this problem for a while now and have a few questions that hopefully someone can shed some light on.

On decel at around 2500 RPM there is a noticeable rattle in the engine. It is not a main bearing rattle more high pitched and the valves are ok since I just check them when I repalced 2nd gear. I also checked the cam chain guides and the tensioner (which is new) and still I have a noise.

My question is, the cushion springs in the clutch basket, can those be making the noise? It will also make the noise if I set the high idle for cold startup, and after I ride the bike a while it will go away a little bit then come back.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

It isn't your engine mounts, is it?

--Wag--

Just put the engine back in the bike and torqued to specs so I would guess no. You can physically hear it in the engine area.

New Clutch Plates?
rock.gif
no but it is not that old of a set.

I also have this issue, after several searches on this site and talking to other Busa owners. I have found out it is the hydraulic cam chain tensioner, on deceleration the oil presure drops and slack devolops in the chain making the noise.Its harmless but annoying, and from what I heard pretty normal in these engines.My Suzuki mechanic friend told me if you lossen the two screws holding the tensioner and pull it out slightly the ratchet mechanism will click out a notch and take up the slack because it's in between adjustment, this just speeds up the self adjusting process.The other option would be to install a manual adjust tensioner.

as long as it is harmless I am cool with it but I just don't want the chain to go slack at high rpm and eat a valve.

Back