SECOND GEAR JERK UNDER ACCELERATION

Really, we all should have a 2nd gear meeting/repair session.

Picture_004.jpg

Mine (05LE) started at about 12,400 miles. It does it between 7200 and 7600 rpms. I just short shift second now. I shift out at about 5500 and get into third. I have owned the bike since 1595 miles. It has never been to a drag strip, I don't launch it hard and the front wheel has been off the ground maybe 5 times. I was told by the guy that is doing my big bore package and fixing the tranny that sometimes shid happens. There are folks out there that run a lot harder than I do and have no problems. This has been a sorta blessing for me. My wife suggested we do the other mods while we had the engine apart to do the tranny.

Don

(Somebody1010 @ Feb. 09 2007,15:54) i wanna know the out come and what richmond suzuki told you.
Basically he said that I am FU**ED.... Said that he thinks that the shift fork is bent and that is from abuse...... Said that he could tear it down but I would be stuck with a $2,300 bill if he did so because he was 99% sure that they wouldnt cover it....... So to make a long story short he fed me a line of bs when i took the bike in...... (Said "worse case you are looking at a grand, if they wont cover it".... Now I know why he sells more Suzuki products than any other in Houston..... He is a hell of a talker, I will give that to him.....

Im just going to do the teardown and fix it myself. Ill do headwork and a few other things while its down....

Don't feel bad guys... the 2nd gear slip has been around for years. I have a '89 Yamaha FJ1200 that has the same design problem. Mine hasn't done it yet, but I heard from many on the Yahoo FJ site that had. There is a shop that is highly recommended for fixing the 2nd gear problem & undercutting the gears, but I don't remember the name at the moment. I can look it up if anyone is interested.
beerchug.gif

(SKILLZ @ Feb. 14 2007,11:49)
(Somebody1010 @ Feb. 09 2007,15:54) i wanna know the out come and what richmond suzuki told you.
Basically he said that I am FU**ED....  Said that he thinks that the shift fork is bent and that is from abuse......  Said that he could tear it down but I would be stuck with a $2,300 bill if he did so because he was 99% sure that they wouldnt cover it.......  So to make a long story short he fed me a line of bs when i took the bike in......  (Said "worse case you are looking at a grand, if they wont cover it"....  Now I know why he sells more Suzuki products than any other in Houston..... He is a hell of a talker, I will give that to him.....

Im just going to do the teardown and fix it myself. Ill do headwork and a few other things while its down....
Yep that's the same thing Cycle Nation in Braselton GA told me. They quoted me a price between $1000 and $1500 (maybe more depending on what has to be replaced. Charles of HFD1 Motorsports quoted me $650 to $900 to do it. He is the guy I had tune my bike after I installed all the mods and he does an awesome job. Guess I will be breaking down here soon and taking it to him.

AAAssjani.gif
I have this problem on my '05 LE. Started at around 5000k miles. We need to get a petition going. Suzuki is obviosly the source of the problem. They need to recall these trannys.

check that the bike is idling properly. if it is idling a little high, it will surge between gears.

Cloud

Tranny is bad, 2nd gear is jumping in and out under acceleration. I just got mine off out the shop, extended warranty covered it. I went ahead and paid to have 1-3 gears undercut, and solid chromeoly shift rods installed. Mine was done by Full Spectrum Racing in longwood.

Well Speak of the devil. Heres my sequence of events. My busa was bought in Oct 2006 1st bike ever. So you can imagine how i babied it for quite some time. Had my 1st service done by the dealer. Well at 3850 Miles I did my own oil change. I went to the dealer and bought oil and a Suzuki filter. (They gave me honda 10w40) Dont know if that makes a difference but anyways. I put maybe 100 Miles on or so and no problems. I just got my swing arm tag holder and I put it on. I didnt have the manual that comes with the bike so just by looking at the bike it seems i didnt have to adjst the chain if i only loosen the Axle nut and slide the tag holder on the right side then retighten. I have never done it before and as i said i didnt have the manual. Could I have overtightned the axle nut or did the chain require adjustment even though i only loosend the nut. Could it be the oil? I dont know since im fairly new at this. Then it happened last night(same day i put the tag holder on). Just filled my bike up with gas. Started driving then it jolted on a turn seemed like the tire broke loose like I ran over some gravel or something like I chirped gears almost. Then it did it again but it was only in the higher rpm and under heavy load. (light load it did notn seem to do it. I thought maybe I put to much gas and the breather was geeting clogged but it did it later on also and only in 2nd gear it seems. I will do more testing later. I have not been drivng the bike very hard and never raced or anything. Never launched hard from a dead stop. If this is a consistent tranny problem It is a Hayabusa DEFECT!!! And needs a recall or something. Believe me they will fix it or take the bike back. I will print everey topic about this and send it to them. Also Companies hate when you get BBB get involved beacuse they have to follow up with the issue no matter what. It is completely stock except for appearance mods. I have never shifted with out the clutch either.

O YEAH AND IT IS A 06 LE

(Cadillac94Pimpin @ May 24 2007,13:47) So you can imagine how i babied it for quite some time.

[...]

It is completely stock except for appearance mods. I have never shifted with out the clutch either.
Sounds like my situation. I wasn't the first owner of my Busa (2003) but when I got it everything was great and since I was getting used to the power and riding position (Busa was my first sportbike, cruisers and dirtbikes previously) I babied mine a lot too. Honestly, i think that is what caused my problem - the bike would complain about going into second gear whenver i was just in the mood to cruise around. I'd grip the clutch, shift slowly, match revs and re-engage the clutch but whenever i had the urge to get on it and was blasting through gears like i was some kind of race driver, it shifted like a charm.

After this problem showed up I started reading about other peoples experiences with it and learned that you gotta kick the shifter hard into and out of each gear and you know what? It shifts smoother when i kick the shifter quick and hard instead of more casually. I have a feeling that if I had done that from the start then I wouldn't be having this problem now.

Got my bike used so it never had a warranty and i've considered that maybe the guy i got it from screwed me but to be honest it didn't do this when I first got it but after a while it started happening just barely and only got worse. Now i skip past second gear when i'm riding. Sucks, but I just don't have the money to get it fixed right now.

So, when you see guys around here who say "ride it like you stole it" they are just trying to help you out  
biggrin.gif

I have the same problem. the suzuki rep keeps telling me to let a dealer tear it apart. **** that. I dont need to give anyone 350 dollars to tell me what I already know, and then tell me they wont fix it. I am serious about this guys, i dont know about you, but im 22, work full time and go to college part time and 1300 for a transmission job just isnt going to cut it. this is such bullshit that suzuki is leaving us high and dry. i dont drag race or ride excessively hard either. my busa is BONE STOCK 06 LE. what do I have to do to get my baby warrantied, shes less than a year old and only has 5500 miles on it.

I always thought mine was funny... I put the TRE on it... and I swear it shifts SO much smoother. Especially second gear.

(tiki240 @ May 30 2007,14:44) this isnt about shifting into 2nd gear. this is about the bike trying to kill us in second gear.
Wow, sorry. I misunderstood the first post, and didn't bother to read the other 3 pages.

Excuse me.

Complaining to your Dealer or Suzuki will only fall on deaf ears. A year or two ago some guy was planning on suing but of course he disappeared. He wouldn't have stood a chance anyway since his bike was highly modified and stretched.

Only thing that will get Suzuki's attention is a class action lawsuit. Suzuki wouldn't stand a chance if only half the people who have had this problem got together and pushed the issue with a class action attorney. Or maybe a good lawyer could force Suzuki to submit all transmission repair records...there would probably be enough to fill a semi trailer!

I will have access to a lawyer in july. All I need is people who are willing to see this issue all the way through till it gets resolved. have you fixed your bike with your own money and been denied warranty? is your bike still broken? well then lets do this. the only thing we have lacked so far is organization. Who is serious about getting in on a class-action suit? its time to stop ranting from behind computer screens. We've been loyal to suzuki, its time they showed us at least the same.

Back