R1 Throttle tube mod.

Exactly what it does, from idle the throttle turns less to reach WOT. WOT=Wide Open throttle.

Before I couldn't quite reach full throttle without repositioning my hand. Now I can go full throttle from my natural riding position.

Last edited:
So how exactly do you do this, i would like to know what i'm getting into before i start tearing up my bike LOL Thanks!!!

Raise the tank, remove the top throttle cable from the bracket.

Remove the bar end.

Remove the two screws that hold the switch/throttle housing together. One on the front, one on the rear. You'll need a short screwdriver unless you want to remove the fairing.

I took the cables loose from the housing so I could lube them, but I don't think it's necessary.

Taking the top cable off under the tank should have given you enough slack to get the cables off of the tube.

Slide old tube off.

Reverse procedure to install. Readjust cables and that's all there is to it. The plastic washer that's on the new tube goes inside the housing.

Dollar for dollar it's the best thing I've done for my bike.

It also relieves a little pressure while riding. Since you reach cruising throttle with less twist it's easier to ride longer.

Went for a short ride tonight, I love it.

Did this today as well and i really like it. It's a little bit harder to twist but not bad at all and i actually like it that way. :thumbsup:

....still riding?:laugh:

jepp, weather is still fine, so i don´t dare to stop ;-)

mod works fine, but to be honest, i wouldn´t call it as dramatic as some people descripe the change. it´s o.k. and the effect is o.k. too if you keep in mind it just costs about 15 bugs and half of an hour of your time to mount.

go for it, but don´t expect a radical change, it´s more a small but good improvement. there´s definitely no need to scare the effect. feels better and smoother then original, even when you do serious cornering.

with the r6 tube installed i was able to adjust the cables much more precisely. there´s no more need to give a big "slack" to it. before the mod i had to do so or the throttle wouldn´t return to idel position as is should. mechanically this mod is a big step forward, no doubt. it also allows using standard grip-rubbers, cause its tube is smooth, while the busa tube has an "edge" near the housing.

jepp, weather is still fine, so i don´t dare to stop ;-)

mod works fine, but to be honest, i wouldn´t call it as dramatic as some people descripe the change. it´s o.k. and the effect is o.k. too if you keep in mind it just costs about 15 bugs and half of an hour of your time to mount.

go for it, but don´t expect a radical change, it´s more a small but good improvement. there´s definitely no need to scare the effect. feels better and smoother then original, even when you do serious cornering.

+1 I did this mod 2 seasons ago and not that big a deal.. Don't get me wrong I like it but no real big deal.. For what little it cost and as easy as it is to do.. Just do it.. haha :thumbsup:

Back