R1 Throttle tube mod.

I just did the R1 conversion for my Gen1 and you must do it asap. It just makes the busa come alive, throttle is so much more responsive and my acceleration is ridiculous :laugh:

last I read people said the R1/R6 were the same part number. Are they different?

I knew the '04 R1 tube would work and at the price (I don't recall, but it was surprisingly cheap.) I got the R1 and the R6 tube for the same year. Different part numbers but they were identical in every detail. As mentioned previously the '06 R6 tube is quicker from what I'm told although I haven't compared it personally.

I didn't see anything about low speed throttle control, how is it? The stock Busa throttle seems a bit sloppy to me but wit 180+ WHP on tap I'm not sure going to a quickturn throttle is the answer either.

I adjusted very easily. It was a tick twitchy at first but within a few miles I was smooth as ever. The real test was this weekend with the wife on the back up in the mountains. She said I was smooth as glass even after I got tired. It's not a huge difference actually, before the mod I had to regrip in order to hit WOT. Not much, but enough that if I needed emergency braking getting to the brake lever wasn't easy or couldn't be done safely. Now I can go from closed to WOT with no issue and from my normal grip position.

The '06 model had the R6 tube in it when she got stolen, I was doing some cleaning and found the R1 tube in a drawer so I decided to try it. Easy as pie to install. Now I need to decide on a new pair of grips and I'll be golden.

Wow. Just did this mod Wednesday night. What a HUGE difference it makes!

While I had the tank up and could look down into the throttle cable cam, I stook over the bike using normal grip and cracked open the throttle as far as I could. I was nowhere near WOT. I had no idea. I bet I've never had that bike WOT once since I've had it. Sure, I've hit redline a time or two, but physically watching how far the throttle cam moved using a normal grip, I can tell it's never really gotten all the way to the stop.

With the new throttle tube, I can open it all the way to the stop from normal grip.

Talk about a kick in the shorts in acceleration. It's as though every little bit of twist now is comparable to twice the twist before. Just rolling into the throttle, giving it 1" of rollback, is like giving it 1.5" of rollback before (seat of the pants feel. I'm sure that's not exactly how the actual math works out). But the bike REALLY gets up and goes now with very little effort. It takes NO effort to crack it open WOT. And at partial throttle, it almost feels like having one tooth down up front, if that makes any sense. It just "feels" a lot more torquey and feels like it gets through the RPMS's quicker.

I had no idea how much power this bike made until I was finally able to get it WOT in just a quick crack of the throttle. I have a lot more respect for it now, that's for sure.

Other than the $5 I spent on the trash can trunk mod, this is probably the best $15 I've ever spent on the bike.

Ive read several threads on the thottle tube swaps and the majority of busas done the R1 for everyday riding. I did the R1 swap and it was a world of difference. Alot of the guys that did the R6 used it on the track or drag strip. For the relatively low cost of this mod I would do the R1 first then if your curious and looking for more I would do the R6 :thumbsup:

And it's an easy swap too, if I regularly raced a street bike I could see swapping back and forth. It can be done in 20 minutes or so.

Are u doing the r1 or r6 ?
The r6 mod is twice the price of the r1 tube.

I'm doing the R1. I use my bike for everyday riding. I want the throttle just a lil tighter, and after reading multiple threads I’m convinced this mod will give it to me.

I've been floating around on this site for a while now, got my 03 Hayabusa a few months ago and have been loving it so far. The bike had some of those engraved aluminum grips when I bought it. They look pretty but are slippery and dangerous especially when it's cold out so I ditched them finally and put on some proper grips. I performed the R1 throttle mod described here with no problems and holy crap it woke the bike up! I'm not sure if the fancy metal grips had a lazy cam on the throttle tube or what but this mod really changed the bike for the better. I highly recommend it, especially for something that takes almost no time to do. Thanks for the idea!

That's another reason why I chose the R1 vs the R6 throttle..... it requires modification of the throttle tube and such vs just bolting on the R1 throttle tube.

Im pretty sure whether you have a Gen1 or Gen2 if you use the R6 tube your gonna have to do some grinding/trimming of the throttle housing assembly to get it to fit and even then Ive heard of guys having issues with it sticking and having to tweak it a few times to get that smooth snappy response

You take a razor blade down the grip and then peel it off. You can use a lot of things to apply new grips. Some use grip glue, hair spray, and the list goes on....

A Lot of companies sell their own brand of grip glue so it's really a matter of preference. Me personally I prefer to use grip glue and then safety wire them. An old habit I carried over from dirtbikes

This mod has me very curious. I don't recall ever having to "regrip" to hit WOT. In fact, I remember the first time I rode my busa, I thought the throttle was too quick/twitchy/jumpy. I've been happy with my stock throttle since I adjusted the slop out of the cables. This does make me curious though:

Not verbatim but: "With stock tube my throttle plates were not even close to wide open." Has anyone else verified this? That the stock throttle won't fully open the butterflies?

Back