Proper fit on a Hayabusa

:welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup:

I rode street bikes from age 12 to 20, got married, had kids, bought my first Busa in '06 after taking 25 years off. The salesman wanted to trailer the bike 45 miles home for me. Scared me to death before he handed me the keys. Marsha, the owner of the shop , all 5'2" 110 pounds, brought the bike around for me. I have a 30" inseam and don't have any issues reaching the ground, but I squat the bike a little more than you will :laugh:

Best of luck and :welcome:

LOL, I almost thought I typed that post. Same here, last time I rode the track was in the 80's and then I got back recently and mixed it up with the young ones. Getting back on the street was easy, but getting back on the track did not go that well. :banghead:

By the way, I have an inseam of 30" also, and I ride a dirt bike with a seat height of 38". For the vertically challenged, you have to just learn how to hang off the side a bit and put one foot down only.

Happened to be checking out some vids and came across this one and it made me think of this very situation...right around the :40 mark.

[URL="
- ‪ever seen a $60k+ bike dropped?‬‏[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Christina, and welcome to our home. My Busa is bike number 13 for me (maybe 14, and I've since added 15 to the stable :)). As others have mentioned, the big Bus is not a great first bike. Last month I traded bikes with a friend, his new GSXR750 and my 2007 Busa. His comment: "it's the only bike I have ridden that the speedo needle climbs faster than the tach!". That is a recipe for disaster for a newbie.

One bike I owned that you might consider is the Suzuki Katana 600. These are common as dogs, maybe they get no respect, but they're available cheap and are remarkably similar to the big Busa in everything but power. Check the specs: almost the same wheelbase, rake and trail, and weight. The bikes handle very similarly, but the Katana takes more working of the gearbox to run fast. Said another way, the Busa feels a lot like a katana but with actual power. You can pick up a decent katana for as little as $2-2,500, ride it for a year, and then sell it for what you paid for it, plus or minus. If you drop it, parts are cheap and easy to get. It's big enough to take across the country, decently sporty, and a better bike than it's reputation suggests. Then, when you're bored with it, stepping up to the Busa will not be a problem. You will feel right at home.

That's not my best suggestion, just the one if you really want a Busa. My best suggestion is to look at a Suzuki SV650. This is a perfect first bike. Much lighter, decent power, great handling, and very forgiving. You will pay more for the SV, maybe $3-3,500, but it's a better bike than the Katana. Since it's lighter, you will be less likely to drop it. It will also make the big Bus feel very heavy the first time you get on it.

Good luck!

Hi there,

This is my first time on a forum of any kind but I seek the advice of experienced riders. A few years ago I fell in love with the Hayabusa and decided it was going to be my first bike. However, before going to the dealership and making a potential fool of myself I'd like to know if I would actually be able to fit properly on it (and if it turns out I can't I would definately like to try to find a solution i.e. modifications?). I'm a girl, 5'2 and 110 pounds. I'm relatively strong as I keep physically fit, and my leg length measures 34 inches (39 inches from the waist). Amongst family and friends I'm the only one who has any deisre to ride a bike and I don't know anyone who owns a Hayabusa. Thanks for your advice.
Something sounds a little "fishy" with your first post ??? .........but welcome anyways :beerchug:
BTW I'm 6'2 with a 34 inch inseam....how do you have the same only being 5'2? That means with a 39 inch inseam from your waist down, you only have 1 ft 11 inches of body (including your head) from the waist up??

Something sounds a little "fishy" with your first post ??? .........but welcome anyways :beerchug:
BTW I'm 6'2 with a 34 inch inseam....how do you have the same only being 5'2? That means with a 39 inch inseam from your waist down, you only have 1 ft 11 inches of body (including your head) from the waist up??

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

We've been had!!!!

She has long legs. :thumbsup:

We need pictures!!!! :worthless:

Well there are a lot of do's and dont's with the bike that you will have to learn. There are thing's to do first, Fix the 2x12 seat, lower it, Drive in C mode at first, Adjust suspension, Tires. That will get you started then you will be fine. :thumbsup:

Remember the bike weighs 550lbs. There are going to be times where you need to back up, maybe make a U turn manuver the bike with you Free while steering, this is where you may get into trouble. Goto the Dealer, ask for help and allow them to see if you can move the bike back with your Free, then try and to move it forward with your Free and then the lean tilt test. If you can all of those without dropping the bike its the first step, next is your abilty to control the bike in an emerency situation, quick braking, quick swerve etc. This is where a lot of people get in over there heads with a big bike. Yeah I am sure you could jump on a busa and head out on a highway and ride it to 150 no problem, the question is...... if your traveling 45 miles per hour and some cager cuts out in front of can you manuver throw the bike around with your body in control???
how about backing out of a Parking spot, can you back the bike up? Thats the difference kinda of like flying, anyone can grab the wheel of an airplane and Steve it, but can you land it?
Posted via Mobile Device

:welcome: I don't doubt that you could ride a Hayabusa, but I wouldn't recomend it as a first bike. You need to be very comfortable operating a motorcycle in general before getting on something like a Busa.
You can lower the bike, get a lower seat, raise handlebars, and other things to help you ride a big bike. The main thing is that the Busa is close to 600lbs, and about 170lbs heavier than the average 600cc sportbike.
You're going to need to walk any bike backwards and manuver it at slow speeds. The heavier the bike the harder that this will be, especially walking it back.
Get a small streetbike, or even a dirtbike and learn to ride first. Then sit on a Busa and lean it side to side, feel it's weight and decide if you can/want to handle it.
There are several threads on here about a Busa as a first bike, and you will find that this is the general opinion. Stick around, you'll get plenty of good advice and answers to any more questions that you may have.:beerchug:

Well said

Yes I do have a 34 inch inseam, and I appologize I meant 39 from the hip down. And yes I do have long legs...don't judge! We're all made different! :-). I'm not one to be all fancy with seamstress terminology with respect to measurements and what not but if my body is 62 inches long from head to foot and my legs are 34 inches then that leaves 28 inches from the legs up. That's how I think of it but whether or not it's "correct," im in the dark. Thanks for bringing it up though, tried to clarify as best I could.

I'm 5'4" and I have a 35" inseam. It happens.

Christina, welcome to the forum!

When I first got my license, my husband indulged me and got me a Suzuki Bandit 1200. Biiiiiiiig mistake. I should have gotten the Yamaha R6 like he suggested. It was tooo much bike for me and I dropped it...a few times....which scared me to death. Consequently, I was afraid to ride for years, even the Yamaha V-star 650 we got to replace the Bandit so I'd be more comfortable.

After that sat in the garage until it was paid off, I finally broke down and admited that i wanted a Vespa scooter. After not quite a year of riding the Vespa several times a week, I decided I was ready for something else and took over the Yamaha R6 my husband got as a track bike (that's another story).

Now, after a year of riding the R6 and the Vespa...I still absolutely love my Vespa and still ride it often. But I also love the R6 - even after wrecking it in January.

Moral of the story - don't let your wants out-weight your comfort and ability. Busas are wonderful bikes and I love riding 2-up with Dan, but I'm glad that I finally found something - my Vespa - to raise my comfort level while riding so I'd get the seat time in to be a better rider. I may some day feel that I'm ready to ride the Busa, but not right now.

This will flip flop a little but bear with me. Let me add that a hayabusa is not a good first bike because of the weight and power. That being said, you can ride a hayabusa if you respsect the power. You can fall on any bike, even a 250 if you don't respect the throttle. However, if you fall on a big busa, you will attribute it to the busa and then be intimidated by it and never ride it. You wil have a pretty bike sitting in the garage.

I would agree with Ajay, a SV650 is a great starter bike. It will help build your confidence.

It is kind of like Lebron James, if he had started small and made a few small lay ups, maybe he could have worked his way up to making the big threes.

as far as first bike busa, go for it if thats what you what but take a safty course so you can learn the basics, this includs how to pick up the bike if/when its droped.

also the seat height is about 32inches which is lower then a 600cc but the seat is also wider. so lowering links & triple tree, and insurance be everyone goes down and its better to pay deductable and increase in insurance then trying to pay $4k-5k for new plastics

also this is coming from someone who started on a busa with dirt bike experince or scooter experince.

Back