Proper fit on a Hayabusa

Christina

Registered
Hi there,

This is my first time on a forum of any kind but I seek the advice of experienced riders. A few years ago I fell in love with the Hayabusa and decided it was going to be my first bike. However, before going to the dealership and making a potential fool of myself I'd like to know if I would actually be able to fit properly on it (and if it turns out I can't I would definately like to try to find a solution i.e. modifications?). I'm a girl, 5'2 and 110 pounds. I'm relatively strong as I keep physically fit, and my leg length measures 34 inches (39 inches from the waist). Amongst family and friends I'm the only one who has any deisre to ride a bike and I don't know anyone who owns a Hayabusa. Thanks for your advice.

A hayabusa is definately not a bike for a beginner. Yes they do look amazing but I would stronly suggest you start out on something much smaller before a hayabusa. If you already have experience i would definately lower the bike a bit till u get the feel for it.:welcome:

Welcome to the oRg, we have many lady riders on the board. You can can lower the busa with links and new triple clamp. Be aware this bike weighs in close to 600 pounds. :welcome:

:welcome: I don't doubt that you could ride a Hayabusa, but I wouldn't recomend it as a first bike. You need to be very comfortable operating a motorcycle in general before getting on something like a Busa.
You can lower the bike, get a lower seat, raise handlebars, and other things to help you ride a big bike. The main thing is that the Busa is close to 600lbs, and about 170lbs heavier than the average 600cc sportbike.
You're going to need to walk any bike backwards and manuver it at slow speeds. The heavier the bike the harder that this will be, especially walking it back.
Get a small streetbike, or even a dirtbike and learn to ride first. Then sit on a Busa and lean it side to side, feel it's weight and decide if you can/want to handle it.
There are several threads on here about a Busa as a first bike, and you will find that this is the general opinion. Stick around, you'll get plenty of good advice and answers to any more questions that you may have.:beerchug:

Female rider here :welcome:

I have a girlfriend that used to ride a Busa at just 5'2", but she is all legs. I'm 5'6" and had to lower my Busa 2" to flat foot it. You'd have to be able to flat-foot it before even considering taking it out.

As for it being a first bike? It wasn't my first; mine was the smallest Harley (883 Sportster, which was about the same weight as the Busa). I will say that you'll drop the Busa, just expect that. It's a heavy bike, and it is costly to fix/replace plastics if you can't stand the scuffs/cracks/dents you get when you do. I was told by most that I'll kill myself on the Busa, but the throttle works the same on any bike. You can choose to go fast or slow; respect it and you'll be fine. For any newbie, I'd say just be aware that dropping any bike costs money in damage to the bike and your ego, so it is a pricey toy to damage. My advice to avoid the costly mistake of messing up a Busa is to get something cheaper to learn on if you can. It will save you a lot in the long run, let you see if riding is really for you, and I always recommend all riders taking the MSF course. :thumbsup:

WEAR GOOD GEAR, PERIOD...full face, boots, gloves, leather jacket and pants with padded protection in the knees, thighs and rear if possible...

If you have any questions, you can PM me :)

:welcome: to the oRg!

Last edited:
:welcome: to the .oRg! It appears you have good taste in bikes, but like others have suggested, it's usually a good idea to try and crawl before you try and run. People seem to think that most of the hang up on new riders starting a Busa is strictly because of the power (which obviously brings it's own concerns), whereas Sixpack and TTV have suggested, it's a heavy bike even for a grown man. You CAN control how much throttle you give any bike, but you can't control having to slowly manuever it with your legs, coming to complete stops, and situations like that require low speeds, balance, and leg strength.
The choice is yours. Just remember, your first bike doesn't have to be your last. People are always looking for starter bikes, so a smaller one will be easy to sell or trade-in when you're ready to move up the ladder, and even then, I wouldn't suggest a Busa. I never like sounding like I'm trying to rain on someone parade, but Darwin does work. :rulez:

Hayabusas are great bikes. We love them, that's why we're all here. However, it's not a good first bike. People have done it, but in general, it's not a great idea. That, and given your stature, there will be a very steep learning curve. The last thing anyone wants is to drop their bike, and for a person who weighs roughly 1/6 as much as the machine, if you get it down, you won't get it up. I'm 5'10 180lbs, and when mine tipped in the garage, I had trouble picking it up.

We just don't want you to get hurt, or discouraged from riding.

Start with something which will be easy to fix when you fall off a few times in the parking lot. If you have never ridden a motorcycle before, that is going to happen.

Dropping a Busa in the parking lot will cost you more than $1,000 every time.

:welcome: to the .oRg! It appears you have good taste in bikes, but like others have suggested, it's usually a good idea to try and crawl before you try and run. People seem to think that most of the hang up on new riders starting a Busa is strictly because of the power (which obviously brings it's own concerns), whereas Sixpack and TTV have suggested, it's a heavy bike even for a grown man. You CAN control how much throttle you give any bike, but you can't control having to slowly manuever it with your legs, coming to complete stops, and situations like that require low speeds, balance, and leg strength.
The choice is yours. Just remember, your first bike doesn't have to be your last. People are always looking for starter bikes, so a smaller one will be easy to sell or trade-in when you're ready to move up the ladder, and even then, I wouldn't suggest a Busa. I never like sounding like I'm trying to rain on someone parade, but Darwin does work. :rulez:

Whatchu talkin bout III?! I never said it was heavy for me!:laugh:
I did almost crash my friends' R1 and 636 in the driveway recently though. I threw a leg over, grabbed the bars, and when I pulled and leaned right to set the bike upright off the kickstand...I nearly slung them to the ground on the right from being used to the Busa's weight!:rofl: This is common, and a bad habit of mine:rofl: It's good the smaller bike's are so easy to lift back up, the Busa is no problem, but takes a little effort.:laugh:

I think if you got a Busa first, even with it lowered and set to fit your size, it could discourage you. It's size and weight will make it more difficult for you to learn how to Comfortabley ride a motorcycle.
One of my wife's friends is your height and weight and I take her riding occasionally. She has sat in the drivers seat and she is tiny there. Even if my bike was set up for her size, and even though she's strong for her size, it would still be alot of bike for her to try to handle.
A smaller bike to start out will definately benefit you in the long run.:beerchug:

another part that people and i found is that the seat is wide and feels wide even up by the tank. it helps in comfort but think about what it does to your stance.:welcome:

The test is to get on the bike and lean it over both side at a 35% angle and of course someone there to catch you if you fall. If you cant lean the bike sitting on it then I would suggest a lighter bike.
I would never suggest a Hayabusa for a first bike.

The Hayabusa a long big bike and heavy. One your size would be more comfortable on a Gixxer 600 and still have plenty of power that you wouldnt even be able to use to its full potential.

pull the trigger!! You can ride it.. just take your time with it. Sit on it at the dealership and lean it around and see how u can handle.. the weight of the bike is most noticeable when its sitting in one spot.

I believe you can do it! :welcome:

Thanks for all your advice, it's helped a lot. I've gotten a lot of grief for this choice of bike from non-riders but coming from those more experienced I'll heed a little more caution. I also forgot to factor in potentially dropping it...

I'll continue with more research before making a decision. Thanks for welcoming me in.

:welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup:

I rode street bikes from age 12 to 20, got married, had kids, bought my first Busa in '06 after taking 25 years off. The salesman wanted to trailer the bike 45 miles home for me. Scared me to death before he handed me the keys. Marsha, the owner of the shop , all 5'2" 110 pounds, brought the bike around for me. I have a 30" inseam and don't have any issues reaching the ground, but I squat the bike a little more than you will :laugh:

Best of luck and :welcome:

:welcome: Christina. I have seen a few ladies on the busa that has had it lowered and all that. They so look like they ride it fairly good but when they stop you can tell some of them are not in complete comtrol. Do you have anyone that would let you sit on one? Like lankeeyankee said got on one and see how it feels and go from their. Whatever you do just be careful. Its a lot of crazies out here. :welcome: again

Back