President takes responsibility

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
The Prez. acknowledged the federal government didn't respond to Katrina as it should have and has accepted full responsibility. Click me.

My question is, will he suffer any punishment? I mean, the head of FEMA was fired wasn't he? Just a thought ...

Not sure he'll be punished, but he will be scrutinized about who he has chosen for positions within the government. Did he put the right people in the right positions sorta thing... imo

I am pleased he stepped up and took his share of the responsibility. It is not totally his fault, but it is nice to see that he sacked up.

I watched this morning as he addressed the U.N.

was sounding good... world peace, opening free trade, ELIMINATING WORLD POVERTY!

how about trying to eliminate poverty at home first!!!!!
mad.gif

something you won't see many democrats do(they are always a victim and it was someone elses fault), like the mayor of NO. or the Gov of Louisana and the FEMA guy was not fired he resigned. just my .000002 worth

Group: Super Administrators
Avg posts/day:No posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I watched this morning as he addressed the U.N.

was sounding good... world peace, opening free trade, ELIMINATING WORLD POVERTY!

how about trying to eliminate poverty at home first!!!!!

+2

da busa guy Posted on Sep. 14 2005,17:00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
something you won't see many democrats do(they are always a victim and it was someone elses fault), like the mayor of NO. or the Gov of Louisana and the FEMA guy was not fired he resigned. just my .000002 worth [/QUOTE]

And here we go again
sad.gif
, thanks dude !!!
argue.gif

I don't see where his accepting some of the responsibility matters...He's not running for office again or is he???The bottom line is that the system failed and now everyone is wondering how would/could the USA respond to a major assault...

Why should the President or any politician take responsibility or accolades for that matter for anything. If you really believe that it is the responsibility of someone else to watch out for you, you are an idiot and deserve everything that happens to you through out your so called life... exceptions being those who dont have the mental or physical capacity to actually take care of themselves... case in point, I was in the local Savon yesterday and there was a man in a wheel chair trying to get something off of the shelf and having somewhat of a problem doing it. I was standing a few feet away from him and noticed his difficulty when a woman approached, grabbed the item for him and handed it to him and proceeded to chew me out for not helping him. My response to her was, if he wanted help, he would have asked for it. He proceeded to tell the both of us that he was pretty tired of people feeling sorry for him, handing him things, opening doors and just generally making him feel less of a man than he actually was... he thanked her, but he shaked my hand.

Ok, my take on this was the president did something he did not have to do and really should not have done.

What he did was step up to the plate, take responsibility so everyone would shut the f'up and get back to doing what was important, fixing the problem.

The problem in this case is it is not a federal government fubar,

We live in the "UNITED STATES" for all intensive purposes every state is responsible for themselves.

The federal government CANNOT repeat CANNOT just go into a state and start doing what it it wants.

There are probably pages and pages of reasons for this, however a few of the reasons are protection of states from the federal government. Federal government involvement means the state making a formal request for assistance.

In the case of terrorist attacks, that is the United states being attacked by a foreign enemy which IS without a doubt a federal issue. in those cases the federal government has immediate jurisdiction and can immediately act. As required.

Local states have local police, county police, and state national guar agency's these agency's can be mobilized by the governor of the state.

However if the governor decides he needs federal assistance there is a crap load of hoops that must be made. I am sure phone calls just do not do it. Since if the federal government steps in the state could be liable for some of the costs incurred by the federal government.

So for legality reasons I think actual formal documents of assistance request are supposed to be made before the federal government can act.

As far as why were able to help so quickly over seas when disasters strike, it is because there are no legal restraints stopping the federal government from infringing upon the rights of a foreign land as there are with our federal government infringing upon the rights of local states

With all that said. Did the head of FEMA, MR Brown make any mistakes? I have no clue, I have never held that position and I do not know what the responsibilities were, however I do know there was such a feeding frenzy every swinging penis wanted someone's head on a platter, and sometimes the government will offer up a sacrifice for no other reason than to try and make the public happy, even if the sacrificial lamb did nothing wrong.

As far as the president taking blame.. anyone who thinks he is directly responsible is clueless about the workings of our government and all the red tape involved with the federal government stepping into a state to help.

The government is too large and too many things going on for one individual to have his hand in every fricken jar. There is a chain of command below him that he trusts to take care of most matters. If there is ANYONE to blame, I think it is the local state governments for not taking better precautions. The state could have declared a stated of emergency and ordered a forced evacuation of everyone. But they didn’t. they just "advised" that everyone should leave.

And maybe the FEMA head honcho did screw up, maybe he didn’t.

But president bush accepting responsibility was nothing more than.

"ok, I am to blame, now you have no one else to try and blame so you can now get back to what is important, helping people and fixing the problem"

And once again, most of the people criticizing the governments response are just sheep following the feeding frenzy of a smaller group of people that have no clue and are just looking for someone to point a finger at.

So fine, president bush, the highest office in this country has accepted responsibility. Good for everyone making him do this.

Now what are you going to do? Keep whining about it, or accept his acceptance and get on with fixing the problem?

1342530-icon.gif

argue.gif

argue.gif

argue.gif

argue.gif

argue.gif

laugh.gif
Shad up
poke.gif

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126783082 -->

argue.gif

argue.gif

argue.gif

argue.gif

Can anyone confirm this article
rock.gif
This puts a nice perspective on things if it is true.

Politics over duty

This is a post from a fellow over in Merritt Is, FL, a reporter who's been researching what went on before the storm hit.

I think all of Nagin's pomp and posturing is going to bite him hard in the near future as the lies and distortions of his interviews are coming to light.

On Friday night before the storm hit Max Mayfield of the National Hurricane Center took the unprecedented action of calling Nagin and Blanco personally to plead with them to begin MANDATORY evacuation of New Orleans and they said they'd take it under consideration. This was after the NOAA buoy 240 miles south had recorded 68' waves before it was destroyed.

President Bush spent Friday afternoon and evening in meetings with his advisors and administrators drafting all of the paperwork required for a state to request federal assistance (and not be in violation of the Posse Comitatus Act or having to enact the Insurgency Act).

Just before midnight

Friday evening the President called Governor Blanco and pleaded with her to sign the request papers so the federal government and the military could legally begin mobilization and call up.

He was told that they didn't think it necessary for the federal government to be involved yet. After the President's final call to the governor she held meetings with her staff to discuss the political ramifications of bringing federal forces. It was decided that if they allowed federal assistance it would make it look as if they had failed so it was agreed upon that the feds would not be invited in.

Saturday before the storm hit the President again called Blanco and Nagin requesting they please sign the papers requesting federal assistance, that they declare the state an emergency area, and begin mandatory evacuation.

After a personal plea from the President, Mayor Nagin agreed to order an evacuation, but it would not be a full mandatory evacuation, and the governor still refused to sign the papers requesting and authorizing federal action.

In frustration the President declared the area a national disaster area before the state of Louisiana did so he could legally begin some advanced preparations.

Rumor has it that the President's legal advisers were looking into the ramifications of using the insurgency act to bypass the Constitutional requirement that a state request federal aid before the federal government can move into state with troops - but that had not been done since 1906 and the Constitutionality of it was called into question to use before the disaster.

Throw in that over half the federal aid of the past decade to New Orleans for levee construction, maintenance, and repair was diverted to fund a marina and support the gambling ships.

Toss in the investigation that will look into why the emergency preparedness plan submitted to the federal government for funding and published on the city's website was never implemented and in fact may have been bogus for the purpose of gaining additional federal funding as we now learn that the organizations identified in the plan were never contacted or coordinating into any planning - though the document implies that they were.

The suffering people of New Orleans need to be asking some hard questions as do we all, but they better start with why Blanco refused to even sign the multi-state mutual aid pack activation documents until Wednesday which further delayed the legal deployment of National Guard from adjoining states.

Or maybe ask why Nagin keeps harping that the President should have commandeered 500 Greyhound busses to help him when according to his own emergency plan and documents he claimed to have over 500 busses at his disposal to use between the local school busses and the city transportation busses - but he never raised a finger to prepare them or activate them.

This is a sad time for all of us to see that a major city has all but been destroyed and thousands of people have died with hundreds of thousands more suffering, but it's certainly not a time for people to be pointing fingers and trying to find a bigger dog to blame for local corruption and incompetence. Pray to God for the survivors that they can start their lives anew as fast as possible and we learn from all the mistakes to avoid them in the future.

Thanks Doug. That post pretty much backs up what I was saying..

I agree, when the dust settles I think a lot of people who were pointing fingers are going to realize they were pointing them in the wrong direction.

I had not idea about funds being diverted from levee maintenance to gambling ships and recreational improvements. If that is true that is just real sad that the federal government HAD been trying to help the area and local government screwed the pooch.

Probably a huge amount of loss of life due to mishandlings by local officials in a lot of areas

On another note, the school that my wife works for has two new students from Louisiana.

The family has been relocated to my town. One of the students is in junior high and the other is in grade school.

Our local community and churches are helping people relocate here and from what I understand 400 people (or 400 family's, not sure which) have arrived in Fresno which is about 30 miles from me…

Sounds like some people have left the area for good and have no intentions of ever going back.

I LOVE that George Jr thought it was just such a travesty that Trent Lott's home was detroyed and vowed that a bigger and better home would be built for that fug.

I love that Barbara told the press that the folks at the astrodome were all underprivileged folks anyway, so they should be getting along just fine and be happy while crammed into the dome...'cause it's better than where they came from, right?

Dear Lord, please forgive them for their fuggin stupidity.

Back