Not to start trouble

Brian, how can anyone take you serious with an avatar of Homer Simpson?
Word
biggrin.gif

People need to stand up and get some self respect and know that regardless if you are black, white, Asian you have what it takes to make this life what you want it.. You just have to have the determination to go and get it.[/QUOTE]

My sentiments exactly.

i also feel that this thread was just started to convey a thing....   a thing that was read.  not a thing that was dreamed up, or an idea thats lived by...  just an' article that was read.

I'm not positive....but I believe its just an article that was tossed out....

and blown way outa porpotion.

Just a thought.

o ya....

fug you.

RSD.
indeed. +1

Again, if you aren't racist, why does it bother you so much that I think you are?
Because that is a pretty heavy label to be throwing around, especially when the only person who is being devisive about color is YOU.

The better question however is why would you all me a racist? I challenge you to point out one statement I have ever made that indicates I'm a racist. Let me help you out, click the "profile" button in the bottom of my post box and then click on the "show all posts by justintime2" option. You can have all the time you need.
Sorry for the delay, but i'm at work and sometimes I actually have to do stuff!
Anywho, the comment in smily's thread about the Florida school teacher was the first that springs to mind, you thought she had a point......
Be safe fighting fires.......

I usually do not get too involved in political nor racism issues...but being 100% Puertorrican/American, this teacher boiled my patience to the limit!  I can not believe someone who is supposed to be teaching our children for a better future can make such hateful statements like this!  Let me know what you all think...I'll be giving my opinion later.

WESH.com
Text Of Controversial Letter

POSTED: 12:06 pm EDT August 24, 2005
UPDATED: 12:20 pm EDT August 24, 2005

Note: This letter was released by the Orange County School Board. The district noted that this is a copy of the letter allegedly written by teacher Jan P. Hall. Hall has not formally acknowledged writing this exact letter because it has not been shown to her yet by her attorney, the district said. However, Hall has told school officials that the handwriting in the letter copied in the newspaper El Nuevo Dia looked like her handwriting and she admitted she wrote a letter of this "nature" to an unidentified congressman.

Dear Honorable Congressman,

Please consider my views when you are voting and representing voters.

I believe we must close the doors to all foreigners for awhile (sic) until we get this economy and the schools back on their feet. As a classroom teacher in Florida for 28 years, I know that foreigners are the largest users of our taxpayers' money. Foreigners are taking all of the jobs that poor and little-educated Americans could have. Many people are being paid under the table, and therefore they are not paying their fair share of taxes. Schools are dealing with too many problems with language differences, and time is lost to our American children who have parents who pay taxes. I'm seeing money going to local charities going to Mexican, Haitian, and Mid-Eastern immigrants instead of to the poorer people of American descent.

Our school at Sadler Elementary where I teach is 92% Puerto Rican. Please consider changing the laws and keeping these people home in Puerto Rico. They are trashing Orlando daily.

These P.R. children are holding American children back academically, and Puerto Rican teachers can keep getting extensions on their temporary certificates so that they are allowed to teach without proper training. I can truthfully say that Puerto Rican teachers at my school ask me continually for help with math, as they do not get but the equivalent of a fifth grade education in Puerto Rico. They almost always can do no algebra and rely on the system to get by.

I find that Haitian children are more aggressive in the classroom and have not been to school regularly. Their poor conduct is yet another real problem.

In Winter Haven, FL, a large orange grove area with Mexican migrants to do the work, jobs that poor blacks and poor whites used to take are filled by Mexicans, who I am told bring in drugs and disease, such as incurable TB, for the most part.

I know that the solution is difficult, but other countries protect their borders and do not allow foreigners to take citizens' jobs. Please do not allow criminals to stay, as they are filling the jobs in FL.

It's time to get our troops home!

Very truly,
Jan P. Hall
Copyright 2005 by WESH.COM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

<!--EDIT|justintime2
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127372095 -->

And this was my response:

That is a poorly written letter, especially for a teacher. I don't know about the specifics of her area or whether the facts are accurate or not but there are several problems here.

We need to do something about securing our borders and stopping illegal imigration. The school systems, hospitals, jails, public welfare entitlements, and infrastructure are being assaulted by illegals who in the end,when everything is balanced out, are adding nothing to the system and are dragging it down. We need to have a sound immigration policy and allow only people who respect and follow it to stay.

The other issue is a private letter sent to a legislator being posted up for the world to see, that's wrong. I think she could have generalized more and been far more articulate about getting her point across but the underlying theme sounds like a fair position. Although you are right about PR Smiley.
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|justintime2
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127410430 -->

There go MB, I searched and found it for you.
wink.gif

I pointed out that the lady can't write and should have generalized more about the problems and not the specific race to get her point across. Which is a valid one as illegal imigration and border security are huge problems, for the tax payers and our schools.

I also pointed out that Smiley was right about PR. This lady obviously can't decide which minority group she likes the least and hasn't figured out how PR fits into the US.

You will also notice I don't turn it into a racial pi$$ fest and instead focused on the underlying theme of her letter. Which is controlling our borders, curbing illegal imigration, and making sure entitlements and resources go to American's before law breakers.

I could care less if you think I'm a biggot or not, but I will not let you just say it and leave it unchallenged. YOU ARE WRONG.
wink.gif

wink.gif

While we need to consider the rights and feelings of everyone regardless of race, creed, etc., this country needs to stop pretending issues don't exist simply for the sake of politcal correctness or to avoid stepping on someone's toes. I deal with illegals every day and it is a major problem. This woman may be misguided, but her statement would be flamed regardless of how she chose to make it. This subject just seems to be hopeless. Almost everyone around me seems to ##### about it, but so long as it doesn't directly effect their lives, (or so they think) they just go with the flow and don't make any real public statements. Go ahead and flame me if you must, it will reinforce my statement. I hold no animosities towards anyone based on race. People of ALL races need learn to help themselves IMHO, and the feds need to stop taxing us just to give it away in the form of handouts.

<!--EDIT|bronc3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127389854 -->

And nagin was reelected because his oppenent was a white.
Let them sleep in the bed they made
Posted via Mobile Device

I am late to this party and don't plan to stay long. But ignoring most of the bickering and name calling, I am taking a hard look at the original post. I am interested in facts. All these numbered items look and smell like facts. If they are true, I would have to agree that local officials have a lot to be accountable for. But all the facts need to come out before jumpoing to any conclusions. There may have been reasons for the Mayor holding back. Period, end of story. The race of those officials is irrelevent.

In case you aren't familiar with how our government is SUPPOSED to work:
The chain of responsibility for the protection of the citizens in New Orleans is:
1. The Mayor
2. The New Orleans director of Homeland Security
(a political appointee of the Governor who reports to the Governor)
3. The Governor
4. The Head of Homeland Security
5. The President

What did each do?

1. The mayor, with 5 days advance notice, waited until 2 days before he announced a mandatory evacuation (at the behest of the President). The *he failed to provide transportation for those without transport even though he had hundreds of buses at his disposal.

2. The New Orleans director of Homeland Security failed to have any plan for a contingency that has been talked about for 50 years. Then he blames the Feds for not doing what he should have done. (So much for political appointees)

3. The Governor, despite a declaration of disaster by the President 2 DAYS BEFORE the storm hit, failed to take advantage of the offer of Federal troops and aid ! until tw o DAYS AFTER the storm hit.

4. The Director of Homeland Security placed assets in the area to be ready when the Governor called for them

5. The President urged a mandatory evacuation, and even declared a disaster State of Emergency, freeing up millions of dollars of federal assistance, should the Governor decide to use it.

Oh and by the way, the levees that broke were the responsibility of the local landowners and the local levee board to maintain, NOT THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.

For those who missed item 5 (the President's level of accountability), it is made more clear in a New Orleans Times-Picayune article dated August 28:

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - In the face of a catastrophic Hurricane Katrina, a mandatory evacuation was ordered Sunday for New Orleans by Mayor Ray Nagin.
Acknowledging that large numbers of people, many of them stranded tourists, would be unable to leave, the city set up 10 places of last resort for people to go, including the Superdome. *The mayor called the order unprecedented and said anyone who could leave the city should.

Gov. Kathleen Blanco, standing beside the mayor at a news conference, said President Bush called and personally appealed for a mandatory evacuation for the low-lying city, which is prone to flooding. *The ball was placed in Mayor Nagin's court to carry out the evacuation order. With a 5-day heads-up, he had the authority to use any and all services to evacuate all residents from the city, as documented in a city emergency preparedness plan. By waiting until the last minute, and failing to make full use of resources available within city limits, Nagin and his administration screwed up. *Bigtime.

These boobs let 569 buses, which could have carried 33,350 people out of New Orleans in one trip, get ruined in the floods. Whatever plan these guys had, it was a dud. Or it probably would have been if they'd bothered to follow it.

Now with that said, I am starting to squint my eyes as I read the rest. It is the following statement that starts to bother me:
As for all the race-baiting rhetoric and Bush-bashing coming from prominent blacks on the left, don't expect Ray Nagin to be called out on the carpet for falling short.
It's more convenient to blame a president for what went wrong than to hold a black mayor and his administration accountable for gross negligence and failing to fully carry out an established emergency preparedness plan.

To hold Nagin and his administration accountable for dropping the ball amounts to letting loose the shouts and cries of "Racism!". It's sad, it's wrong, but it's standard operating procedure these days.

Mark my words: you will not hear a word of criticism from Jesse Jackson Sr., Randall Robinson, the Congressional Black Caucus, the NAACP, the Rev. Al Sharpton, or Kanye West being directed toward Clarence Ray Nagin Jr.
[/QUOTE]
I know that all you hear is what you see on the news, but you guys gotta realize that all prominent politicians and religious leaders, black or white, have their own agendas. *They use incidents like this to further their causes. But this doesn't only apply to black people, you had better believe that the next candidates for mayor, govenor, president, and leader of the KKK, will use this incident to further his cause or to injure his opponent. For example, read this quote:

The disaster in New Orleans is what you get after decades of corrupt government going all the way back to Huey Long.

Funds for disaster protection and relief have been flowing into this city for decades, and where has it gone? *Into the pockets of politicians and their friends.

Decades of bad government in New Orleans have sapped all self reliance from the community and made them dependent upon government for every little thing.
[/QUOTE]

This sounds as much like opportunistic, political, opinionated BS as anything that Jackson, Sharpton, or West could say. There aren't any facts to back it up. ALL OF THESE PEOPLE ARE JUST TRYING TO FURTHER THEIR INTERESTS The sooner we realize that, the sooner we can weed out the BS spoken by black people as well as white people.

<!--EDIT|Thinker62
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127338749 -->[/QUOTE]

Well said

Back