More on N.O.

Devious

Onward through the Fog
Donating Member
Registered
Here is another angle on the problems in New Orleans. This was sent to me by a old friend of mine who is a Board Certified Child Phsycologist. And by the way he is black. This may be true or not, I don't know.

Subject: Moral poverty in New Orleans

This is what an educated black man has to say about his black brothers . . .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moral poverty cost blacks
in New Orleans

Posted: September 21, 2005
1:00 a.m. Eastern
© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

Say a hurricane is about to destroy the city you live in. Two questions:

What would you do?

What would you do if you were black?

Sadly, the two questions don't have the same answer.

To the first: Most of us would take our families out of that city quickly to protect them from danger. Then, able-bodied men would return to help others in need, as wives and others cared for children, elderly, infirm and the like.

For better or worse, Hurricane Katrina has told us the answer to the second question. If you're black and a hurricane is about to destroy your city, then you'll probably wait for the government to save you.

This was not always the case. Prior to 40 years ago, such a pathetic performance by the black community in a time of crisis would have been inconceivable. The first response would have come from black men. They would take care of their families, bring them to safety, and then help the rest of the community. Then local government would come in.

No longer. When 75 percent of New Orleans residents had left the city, it was primarily immoral, welfare-pampered blacks that stayed behind and waited for the government to bail them out. This, as we know, did not turn out good results.

Enter Jesse Jackson and Louis Farrakhan. Jackson and Farrakhan laid blame on "racist" President Bush. Farrakhan actually proposed the idea that the government blew up a levee so as to kill blacks and save whites. The two demanded massive governmental spending to rebuild New Orleans, above and beyond the federal government's proposed $60 billion. Not only that, these two were positioning themselves as the gatekeepers to supervise the dispersion of funds. Perfect: Two of the most dishonest elite blacks in America, "overseeing" billions of dollars. I wonder where that money will end up.

Of course, if these two were really serious about laying blame on government, they should blame the local one. Responsibility to perform - legally and practically - fell first on the mayor of New Orleans. We are now all familiar with Mayor Ray Nagin - the black Democrat who likes to yell at President Bush for failing to do Nagin's job. The facts, unfortunately, do not support Nagin's wailing. As the Washington Times puts it, "recent reports show [Nagin] failed to follow through on his own city's emergency-response plan, which acknowledged that thousands of the city's poorest residents would have no way to evacuate the city."

One wonders how there was "no way" for these people to evacuate the city. We have photographic evidence telling us otherwise. You've probably seen it by now - the photo showing 200 parked school buses, unused and underwater. How much planning does it require to put people on a bus and leave town, Mayor Nagin?

Instead of doing the obvious, Mayor Nagin (with no positive contribution from Democratic Gov. Kathleen Blanco, the other major leader vested with responsibility to address the hurricane disaster) loaded remaining New Orleans residents into the Superdome and the city's convention center. We know how that plan turned out.

About five years ago, in a debate before the National Association of Black Journalists, I stated that if whites were to just leave the United States and let blacks run the country, they would turn America into a ghetto within 10 years. The audience, shall we say, disagreed with me strongly. Now I have to disagree with me. I gave blacks too much credit. It took a mere three days for blacks to turn the Superdome and the convention center into ghettos.

President Bush is not to blame for the rampant immorality of blacks. Had New Orleans' black community taken action, most would have been out of harm's way. But most were too lazy, immoral and trifling to do anything productive for themselves.

All Americans must tell blacks this truth. It was blacks' moral poverty - not their material poverty - that cost them dearly in New Orleans. Farrakhan, Jackson, and other race hustlers are to be repudiated - they will only perpetuate this problem by stirring up hatred and applauding moral corruption. New Orleans, to the extent it is to be rebuilt, should be remade into a dependency-free, morally strong city where corruption is opposed and success is applauded. Blacks are obligated to help themselves and not depend on the government to care for them. We are all obligated to tell them so.

The Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson is founder and president of BOND, the Brotherhood Organization of A New Destiny, and author of "Scam: How the Black Leadership Exploits Black America."

<!--EDIT|Goldwanger
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127996221 -->

The author of this rant, JL Peterson is a publicity ##### just like the rest. His stand is one which is designed to appeal to people who are prone to furthering racial division in this country, by saying that the moral base of poor black people has eroded. This is utter nonsense, one cannot hope to view the actions of a small number of any group of people, and then base your opinion of all people who look similar on tose actions. That is what prejudice is, and the fact that the man making these claims is black himself lends it no more validity. No doubt there are those who will seize this idiot's statement and use it as evidence of the incapability of black people everywhere to act in a decent manner, as if it is somehow more credible because of the author's race, anyone believing that just wants to believe it. In the same way that Jackson, Sharpton and Farrakhan have used this tragedy as a vehicle for the advancement of their own agenda and public exposure by introducing an aspect of racism, so Peterson is doing, but with a different tactic. He is just as guilty of preaching racism, if he were a white man saying those things about blacks, he would be leading the KKK. It is a shame that these four fools get any press at all, they all do a great disservice to intelligent, educated black people.
I said it in a post as soon as this tragedy hit, it's not about race, it's about economic status. No mainstream politician hates any race of people, they just don't care about poor people. Make no mistake, if a tragedy befalls a predominantly white poor area, say Eastern Kentucky, the President will not rush in and take charge, they'll have to figure it out for themselves just like the residents of N.O. did. The claims that the government did nothing (or even more ridiculous that they aided in the destruction) based on the race of the victims are just as stupid as the suggestion that black people have suffered a moral decay and are " too lazy, immoral and trifling to do anything productive"

I wonder what Bill Cosby would say about this?
rock.gif

Is this not close to what he has already said. I want you guys to understand that this is not a reason to start bitchin' about who is racist and who is not. Personally I agree with some of what this says but not all. Just as I agree with some of what Bill Cosby said.

*Flame suit on*

Is this not close to what he has already said. I want you guys to understand that this is not a reason to start bitchin' about who is racist and who is not. Personally I agree with some of what this says but not all. Just as I agree with some of what Bill Cosby said.

*Flame suit on*
I agree with what some of Bill Cosby has said, I don't think he's looking for fame, he's saying what he feels. I think that Peterson is looking for his 15 minutes, and thinks that this is a good way of getting it. While I think using a tragedy such as this as a vehicle for personal gain is repugnant, it seems many people are bent on doing exactly that. I have long benn of the opinion that when jesse Jackson et al attach themselves to a particular viewpoint it simply lessens the validity of said view. These people, Peterson included are hucksters that claim to lead black people, when the reality is that black people comprise far too large a group to benefit from the leadership of one or two individuals. It would be absurd to think that all white, asian or latin people all need one leader, yet these people purport to know what is best for all blacks. Until it is recognized that there is a great deal of diversity within the black community, we can not possibly begin to be united.

This is what an educated black man has to say about his black brothers . . .[/QUOTE]

It is a shame that these four fools get any press at all, they all do a great disservice to intelligent, educated black people.[/QUOTE]

Can't we just just have educated people?  Is there some different level of education for a black man than a white man?  

Sorry, it just struck a nerve.
Not to mention, some of the dumbest people I know have college educations.

<!--EDIT|si-lo
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128018806 -->

Ya know, a man I respect very much stayed behind and I do not think he would fall into the category of morally poor.
That man is Fats Domino.

This is what an educated black man has to say about his black brothers . . .

It is a shame that these four fools get any press at all, they all do a great disservice to intelligent, educated black people.[/QUOTE]

Can't we just just have educated people?  Is there some different level of education for a black man than a white man?  

Sorry, it just struck a nerve.
Not to mention, some of the dumbest people I know have college educations.[/QUOTE]
The four I mentioned, (which is your second quote) claim to be educated black men, yet spout nothing but nonsense. thus they are doing the disservice to those black people who are truly educated, as they are held up as the example.
I agree the world is full of educated idiots, these four just happen to be claiming to represent blacks.

Well, here is something else I have noticed about so called leaders. Down here in South Texas the Hispanic population is the majority of the population. So there are several of these so called Minority leaders and saviors. Most have been around for several years and always talk so much BS about how much they have done for their "peoples" yet the majority of their (blind) followers are really doing no better now than when these leaders took office. But all of these leaders have become incredibly wealthy in the process. I don't think this is right but the minority's are so blinded by what I think is racism that they will keep re-electing these crooks over and over instead of even considering someone who is Anglo. And I am not saying the Anglo will be any more honest. But why let the same elected leaders keep screwing you over just because they are the same race as you.

This actually become an interesting thread. I agree with Brown, too many times people attach Jesse, Al, or Farakhan to a cause and it looses validity. They truly do not represent "black folks" as a whole. I don't need or want them to speak for me.

To all white members, how would you feel if eveyone were to associate your opinions and beliefs to George W., Billy Clint, Rush Limbaugh, or Ross Perot? I'm sure many of you agree that each of these people have some questionable characteristics.

As far as those people referred to as shiftless, lazy, tired and waiting on the government.......... Yes there are some welfare queens, and those who believe that the government should subsidize their whole well being, but last time I checked those people come in all persuasions. I don't think that what some of these people do is right as far as trying to get over, however none of us can choose whether or not people deserve to live or die.

We as "Americans" are sick in the fact that our country can play God and force our beliefs on every other country, and in our own backyards we choose to write-off those who don't have have enough money to "buy" the support of the government.

I have not said alot about what I have seen, as I have been working in New Orleans and more recently in East Texas. I have not posted pictures of it. What I have seen is alot of people - Black, White, Hispanic, etc - in long lines for gas, water, and food, with nothing but destruction around them, some with no home to go back to. We fight day in and day out about who did what and what not, but and the end of the day many of our fellow Americans are going without many of their essential needs being met.

It is really easy for us to say if a storm was coming my way then I would leave. SO what about when you come back and there isn't anything there
rock.gif
? It seems so easy to judge others when you are not the one affected.

But why let the same elected leaders keep screwing you over just because they are the same race as you.
Or from the same political party as you........
I agree 100% with what you said. Voting along racial, or for that matter party, lines is dumb. You should vote for the person whose philosophy is closest to yours.

This thread starts to touch on something that I feel will weaken our country.

People dependant on the gov for care are rising faster than people who support(financially) the gov.  That is just my observation not necessarilly a fact.

As someone who was given nothing and worked for everything, it really pisses me off to know people are being supported by the gov(us) for being lazy and/or fat.  Anyone who wasn't mentally or physically challeneged could have done everything I have.

Now I am not talking about not helping people in need after a disaster.  But I wish there was a way to help those who will get back on their feet and play their part as a citizen.  And not send the money to help those who have no interest in getting back on their feet and just want to sap as much from the gov(us) as they can and not to line the pockets of corrupt officials.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128025818 -->

Back