Not to start trouble

BrianKesler

Registered
I dont wanna start controversy or arguments, but i got this newspaper article from New Orleans. Without saying anything else, i agree.

In case you aren't familiar with how our government is SUPPOSED to work:
The chain of responsibility for the protection of the citizens in New Orleans is:
1. The Mayor
2. The New Orleans director of Homeland Security
(a political appointee of the Governor who reports to the Governor)
3. The Governor
4. The Head of Homeland Security
5. The President

What did each do?

1. The mayor, with 5 days advance notice, waited until 2 days before he announced a mandatory evacuation (at the behest of the President). The he failed to provide transportation for those without transport even though he had hundreds of buses at his disposal.

2. The New Orleans director of Homeland Security failed to have any plan for a contingency that has been talked about for 50 years. Then he blames the Feds for not doing what he should have done. (So much for political appointees)

3. The Governor, despite a declaration of disaster by the President 2 DAYS BEFORE the storm hit, failed to take advantage of the offer of Federal troops and aid ! until tw o DAYS AFTER the storm hit.

4. The Director of Homeland Security placed assets in the area to be ready when the Governor called for them

5. The President urged a mandatory evacuation, and even declared a disaster State of Emergency, freeing up millions of dollars of federal assistance, should the Governor decide to use it.

Oh and by the way, the levees that broke were the responsibility of the local landowners and the local levee board to maintain, NOT THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.

The disaster in New Orleans is what you get after decades of corrupt government going all the way back to Huey Long.

Funds for disaster protection and relief have been flowing into this city for decades, and where has it gone? Into the pockets of politicians and their friends.

Decades of bad government in New Orleans have sapped all self reliance from the community and made them dependent upon government for every little thing.

The sad thing is that there are many poor folks who have suffered and died needlessly because those whom they voted into office failed them.

For those who missed item 5 (the President's level of accountability), it is made more clear in a New Orleans Times-Picayune article dated August 28:

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - In the face of a catastrophic Hurricane Katrina, a mandatory evacuation was ordered Sunday for New Orleans by Mayor Ray Nagin.
Acknowledging that large numbers of people, many of them stranded tourists, would be unable to leave, the city set up 10 places of last resort for people to go, including the Superdome. The mayor called the order unprecedented and said anyone who could leave the city should.

Gov. Kathleen Blanco, standing beside the mayor at a news conference, said President Bush called and personally appealed for a mandatory evacuation for the low-lying city, which is prone to flooding. The ball was placed in Mayor Nagin's court to carry out the evacuation order. With a 5-day heads-up, he had the authority to use any and all services to evacuate all residents from the city, as documented in a city emergency preparedness plan. By waiting until the last minute, and failing to make full use of resources available within city limits, Nagin and his administration screwed up. Bigtime.

Mayor Nagin and his emergency sidekick Terry Ebbert have displayed lethal, mind boggling incompetence before, during and after Katrina.

Mayor Nagin and his profile in pathetic leadership police chief should resign. That city's government is thoroughly incompetent. The people of New Orleans deserve better than that crowd of clowns is capable of giving them.

These boobs let 569 buses, which could have carried 33,350 people out of New Orleans in one trip, get ruined in the floods. Whatever plan these guys had, it was a dud. Or it probably would have been if they'd bothered to follow it.

As for all the race-baiting rhetoric and Bush-bashing coming from prominent blacks on the left, don't expect Ray Nagin to be called out on the carpet for falling short.
It's more convenient to blame a president for what went wrong than to hold a black mayor and his administration accountable for gross negligence and failing to fully carry out an established emergency preparedness plan.

To hold Nagin and his administration accountable for dropping the ball amounts to letting loose the shouts and cries of "Racism!". It's sad, it's wrong, but it's standard operating procedure these days.

Mark my words: you will not hear a word of criticism from Jesse Jackson Sr., Randall Robinson, the Congressional Black Caucus, the NAACP, the Rev. Al Sharpton, or Kanye West being directed toward Clarence Ray Nagin Jr.

+1

as was mentioned in another post and Captain chimed in with the same info.

This was the fault from the bottom up, not from the top down.

Local political figures did screw up

I dont wanna start controversy or arguments, but....
Why bother? It will only strain relationships even more. I don't think you are going to change anyone's mind about the topic, we all have access to this info, some will chose to believe what they believe no matter what, I'm out of these conversations for a while. Tchau!
Kev

<!--EDIT|Kevin Kesler
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127171224 -->

+1

+2

My friend in Baton Rouge has told me that a petition has allready started to remove the govenor from office.

Not saying Bush and Fed gov. didn't screw up, just saying they weren't the only ones to screw up.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127184989 -->

Another point that you will not hear in the mass media is that an action to rebuild and strengthen the levies that failed was squashed 20 years ago by a group of tree huggers that were worried about the impact the construction would have on the local wildlife. I hope the F'n tree huggers died along with the wildlife they ultimately sentenced to death. THAT would be justice!

+1

+3
+4
smile.gif

Brian, what is your point with this post? To post something like this is pointless. All it does is reveal your true thinking. To start off with a claim of not wanting to start controversy is akin to me saying I don't want to start a fight and then slapping your wife.
Everyone with any power of independent thought knows that the Mayor, Governor and all the elected officials are to blame for this. Your article claims that the plan they had, even if executed would have probably failed anyway. Why would someone say that? The implication there is clearly that the author and obviously you also, think that black people are incapable of taking care of themselves. That is insulting and ridiculous. These statements and the fact that you believe in them enough to bring them up again show your true colors. You and all the people that share your viewpoint sicken me. People are dead and all you can do is cry about who did/didn't do what. Who gives a $hit who is to blame? What the f@#k does that that prove at this point? The time for assessing blame will come after the damage is cleaned up, the people helped and the city protected and rebuilt. There's plenty of blame to go around. Once you get older Brian, I hope you will understand the racial, social and economic factors that impact politics a little better.

Actually I think at this point someone does need to point fingers at the Mayor. The idiot started to open up the area to let people go back in and then he backed tracked and stopped letting people in.

The individual is incapable of making the correct choices in emergency situations. This CAN cause more lives.

So yes, due to the current state of things, whomever the idiots are making the mistakes should be removed from a position of making further mistakes.

And if the Mayor HAD utilized all the buses that were damaged in the flooding, he not only could have saved a shid load of people at the beginning, but he would still have working buses to continue not only moving people out, but when it was safe he could have utilized them to move people back in.

I am not prejudice, but I do think things have swung so far to one side that anytime anyone criticizes someone other than a white person, the race card is often thrown into the mix. and THAT sickens me.

Like someone wrote in another post, what does it matter what color you are. more and more people are entering into mixed relationships so eventually the human race at some point will be a cool shade of brown. So I kind of think this talk of racism is just a bunch of crap.

If it were a white mayor doing this stuff he would have been hammered by now.

Now who's racist......... who is going to believe that an attempt to drown the black part of New Orleans was a government plot?

Louis Farrakhan: Levees Were 'Blown Up'

Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan is telling his followers that the levees in New Orleans may have been deliberately "blown up" to kill the city's black population.

The influential preacher was in Charlotte, North Carolina, on Monday, where he detailed his Hurricane Katrina conspiracy theory.

"I heard from a very reliable source who saw a 25 foot deep crater under the levee breach," Farrakhan explained. "It may have been blown up to destroy the black part of town and keep the white part dry."

Farrakhan didn't say who he thought was behind the plot to blow up New Orleans' levees.

The Muslim minister also blasted both FEMA and the Red Cross, saying their response to Katrina victims after the levees were blown up was inadequate.

Farrakhan is a fuggin joke to begin with!! He wants a race war. All that S.O.B. is good for is starting trouble. The only thing you ever hear that fugger say is that the whites wanna keep the blacks down and they should fight......well, thats bullshid!!! He never says anything to promote whites and blacks to get along.
I do not particularly care for the man, but atleast Jesse Jackson doesn't promote violence. He atleast tries to get BOTH races to get along.
Skin color doesn't mean shid people!! It is what type of person you are that counts!!!!!!! There are WHITE and BLACK scumbags!!!!!!!!

Just my .02

Group: Members
Avg posts/day:2.65

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Farrakhan is a fuggin joke to begin with!! He wants a race war. All that S.O.B. is good for is starting trouble. The only thing you ever hear that fugger say is that the whites wanna keep the blacks down and they should fight......well, thats bullshid!!! He never says anything to promote whites and blacks to get along.
I do not particularly care for the man, but atleast Jesse Jackson doesn't promote violence. He atleast tries to get BOTH races to get along.
Skin color doesn't mean shid people!! It is what type of person you are that counts!!!!!!! There are WHITE and BLACK scumbags!!!!!!!!

Just my .02 [/QUOTE]

Bingo !

All I can say is if someone did anything like that to hurt and kill innocent people ESPECIALLY of a certain race. they need to be executed.

I however would find it hard to believe that it was sabotage

Unfortunately there is still racism in this world and if something like that was done it was more than likely done by some fanatics acting on their own.

But I don’t think anyone was too concerned with utilizing a natural disaster to try and wipe out the black population. I think for the most part people were more concerned with saving their own hides.

Sabotage ? If anything was sabotaged it was the big companies trying total their business by setting fire to them and blaming it on the looters.
wow.gif

Howz that for a thought ?
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127234423 -->

Brian, what is your point with this post? To post something like this is pointless. All it does is reveal your true thinking. To start off with a claim of not wanting to start controversy is akin to me saying I don't want to start a fight and then slapping your wife.
Everyone with any power of independent thought knows that the Mayor, Governor and all the elected officials are to blame for this. Your article claims that the plan they had, even if executed would have probably failed anyway. Why would someone say that? The implication there is clearly that the author and obviously you also, think that black people are incapable of taking care of themselves. That is insulting and ridiculous. These statements and the fact that you believe in them enough to bring them up again show your true colors. You and all the people that share your viewpoint sicken me. People are dead and all you can do is cry about who did/didn't do what. Who gives a $hit who is to blame? What the f@#k does that that prove at this point? The time for assessing blame will come after the damage is cleaned up, the people helped and the city protected and rebuilt. There's plenty of blame to go around. Once you get older Brian, I hope you will understand the racial, social and economic factors that impact politics a little better.
Sorry Mr Brown but race baiting isn't gonna work on this one or this board. Get off your trip of black people can't take care of them selves garbage. No body said that other than you. The article is right on and yes Bush bears some blame as the buck ultimately stops at his desk.

The coruption in NO, the absolute incompetence of the Mayor and Governor, and there state Senators are to blame for this mess. Oh and guess what, the people are to blame as well in a lot of cases, black and white.

Your trying to minimize this discussion by going the J.Jackson route and race baiting it is rediculous.
mad.gif

Now who's racist......... who is going to believe that an attempt to drown the black part of New Orleans was a government plot?

Louis Farrakhan: Levees Were 'Blown Up'

Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan is telling his followers that the levees in New Orleans may have been deliberately "blown up" to kill the city's black population.

The influential preacher was in Charlotte, North Carolina, on Monday, where he detailed his Hurricane Katrina conspiracy theory.

"I heard from a very reliable source who saw a 25 foot deep crater under the levee breach," Farrakhan explained. "It may have been blown up to destroy the black part of town and keep the white part dry."

Farrakhan didn't say who he thought was behind the plot to blow up New Orleans' levees.

The Muslim minister also blasted both FEMA and the Red Cross, saying their response to Katrina victims after the levees were blown up was inadequate.
Now if we had an actual press core instead of a left wing media chuckle head club, this story would be reported for what it is. This guy is an absolute piece of garbage and has nothing worthwhile to say. I would also venture to say that anyone who follow's or listens to him is probably mentally retarded if they truly believe this crap.

Can you imagine if Fallwell said this, WOW would their be reporting then. Since the libs believed Bush should apologize for noodle head saying we should assassinate knuckle head, where is the same for the Clinton's or Hary Ried to do the same on Farrakhan's behalf?
rock.gif

Can you imagine if Fallwell said this, WOW would their be reporting then. Since the libs believed Bush should apologize for noodle head saying we should assassinate knuckle head, where is the same for the Clinton's or Hary Ried to do the same on Farrakhan's behalf?[/QUOTE]

The sheep that follow him !
sad.gif

Dude does have some good point but like all AssHats, he'll say anything to sucker in fresh meat to follow him. He's just another politcian hard at work !

For me, I follow the beat of my own drum with the man upstairs leading the way !

Actually I think at this point someone does need to point fingers at the Mayor. The idiot started to open up the area to let people go back in and then he backed tracked and stopped letting people in.

The individual is incapable of making the correct choices in emergency situations. This CAN cause more lives.

So yes, due to the current state of things, whomever the idiots are making the mistakes should be removed from a position of making further mistakes.

And if the Mayor HAD utilized all the buses that were damaged in the flooding, he not only could have saved a shid load of people at the beginning, but he would still have working buses to continue not only moving people out, but when it was safe he could have utilized them to move people back in.

I am not prejudice, but I do think things have swung so far to one side that anytime anyone criticizes someone other than a white person, the race card is often thrown into the mix. and THAT sickens me.

Like someone wrote in another post, what does it matter what color you are. more and more people are entering into mixed relationships so eventually the human race at some point will be a cool shade of brown. So I kind of think this talk of racism is just a bunch of crap.

If it were a white mayor doing this stuff he would have been hammered by now.
So I guess President Bush should be removed from office because of his failures in Iraq!

Anyways instead of pointing your finger to blame someone...how about lifting a finger to help the victims of this terrible tragedy.

Back