Prayers needed rider down and brother of org member!!!

update from drew's facebook :

Nate is now 65 hours into the 72 hour swelling period and his vitals are still looking good. Not much has changed over the last day or so. Yesterday he started getting nutrition through a tube and it looks like an inverted bottle of grey poupon. A nurse came in this afternoon and turned the flow up. I told Nate not to eat too much or he'll get a belly ache.

His head was stapled shut this morning and his head bandages were removed, showing a terribly and partially shaved head. I know Nate is upset because he just had a haircut last week and they messed it up. He has his hair cut every week or two, but never longer. His face is no longer swollen and he looks like himself, except for all the tubes in his mouth, the wires attached to his head, and all the machines surrounding his bed.

When a nurse comes in to open his eyes and shine a flashlight in them, to give him noogies on his chest (pain stimulation), and measure and then empty his urine collector, Nate moves an arm to brush the nurse away. It's encouraging to see that. His arms are semi-strapped down so that he doesn't pull anything out.

I told him a dirty joke last night when it was the two of us in his room, and I swear I saw the corner of his mouth move when I hit the punch line. Although heavily sedated, Nate is still... Nate. — at MetroHealth Medical Center.

Im so sorry Drew. I also have a brother named Nate and would be devastated if I had to go through what your dealing with. My prayers are have been sent to you and your family. Remember that these things happen and even though we dont know why it is part of the design. I hope Nate pulls through.

Continued thoughts and prayers for Nate! I hope he's taking a turn for the better...thanks for keeping us posted Chris!

I'm sorry I've not posted in this thread, but I've been keeping tabs on it for the last week. I'm very thankful for Greg creating this thread and for Chris updating it with several facebook posts I made. Thank you to others that have sent me facebook messages to give condolences/kind words and to share your own stories. I appreciate all the support you all have shown my brother and family during this very difficult time.

I was with Nate when he went down and saw the whole thing happen. Here are a few things I know to be facts.

1. No one cut him off.
2. No one was in front of us or behind us (to cause sudden braking or rocks being kicked up)
3. We were on a straight.
4. The skies were clear and no water was on the road.
5. No potholes or road debris were present.
6. No animals were in the road or on the sides of the road.
7. No alcohol or drugs were involved.
8. No clear indication of mechanical problems/failure of the bike have been identified (by me at the towing yard).

A few things I'm having questions about that maybe you all could possibly help me understand.

1. Nate did not break any other bones other than his skull (being limp in an accident can help alleviate this, instead of tensing up)
2. Nate had minimal road rash, with NONE on the palms of his hands (indicating he didn't try to stop or catch himself) He wasn't wearing gloves.

It's unclear at this time what the prognosis will be, but Nate hasn't opened his eyes after being taken off sedation and pain meds. It may be up to a year before he does, which every moment that passes could bring him closer in doing so. He's been moving his left arm and legs a bit since his injury, although the nurses, doctors, and other family members have said he's moved his right arm a few times. He contracted VAP, (ventilator-associated pneumonia), a few days after being in ICU, which is normal but still just as deadly. Today (Monday, September 17th), Nate will have surgery to install a tracheostomy tube that will allow him to cough up stuff from his lungs and not have his mouth open at all times, which was introducing bacteria and allowing bacteria to grow. He'll also have a feeding tube installed directly into his stomach (abdominal). The swelling in his face and head has gone down dramatically, but because he's been laying down for more than a week, his feet have swollen.

It's going to be a long journey with this injury no matter what happens, but the outcome is still undetermined. I'll update things as they happen.

Please 'yall, ATGATT! Nate wore the helmet I gave him 95% of the time. It was JUST THIS TIME he decided he wasn't going to wear it, even after I made a comment to him about wearing it.

Just keep praying!

prayers sent drew thank you for the update, so from what you observed do you think Nate blacked out, kinda sounds like that doesnt it?

prayers sent drew thank you for the update, so from what you observed do you think Nate blacked out, kinda sounds like that doesnt it?

With no defense reactions it does seem like he lost consciousness, especially given the observations. Hopefully he will pull through 100%!

drew ... i keep praying for nate and your family....the accident sounds truly strange but you are right...it sounds like he fell asleep (dont laugh...i did it on a bike and the accident to prove it) or he blacked out...

Regardless of how it happened, its usually that one time when you get into that mindset of "it will never happen to me" when something does happen.
Our thoughts and prayers are with Nate and his family!!

Nate was not able to get the tracheostomy tube in today because the surgery list was already full. It was scheduled for this Thursday. I am bringing his chapstick in today anyway.

The Helicopter that took my brother and I to the hospital did something really mean (unintentionally of course). When the 'copter landed, the wind it produced pushed BB over. :( It wasn't a malfunction of the kickstand, so don't point fingers!

What damage I've surveyed includes a gouged throttle meister, gouged right fairing (in multiple areas but not cracked), gouged roaring toys mirror, and scraped pegs (rider and passenger). I've not given the damage much thought, actually. Because the damage will be more than my deductible, should I file a claim with my insurance company? I didn't file a police report because no one physically hit it or was directly involved in the damage. I love the color of the Phantom Metallic Grey of the LE '05 and wouldn't change the color to anything other than a jet black. I'm thinking about sanding the fairing and adding bondo, then painting the whole bike rattle can style. I can't afford anything at this point, as the parking at the hospital is $5.50 a day and lots of that $4.00 gas to get there. I need a gas tank, as the one I have has ALMOST rotted itself from the inside out, even after having it reconditioned at a local radiator shop a few years ago. I've been trying to figure out a way to scratch some coins together to buy a "painter tank" from Goldenchild for several months now, but all avenues for cash has all but dried up. I'm hoping to save up some money to get one from him sometime over the winter, or some cash from family this Friday (my birthday). Hopefully I'll have my own little thread about BB's recovery, along side Nate's! :cheerleader:

All in all, I'll take a damaged bike every single time, knowing the thing that caused it saved Nate's life. A bike can be replaced, a life can't.

IMAG0469.jpg

Thanks for the update and Nate is in my thoughts. Hate to hear he always wore his helmet, but didn't this time :( So sad...long road ahead...

It really does seem like he blacked out or fell asleep, I have also fallen asleep riding. Did he look limp before the crash? Anything out of the ordinary?? Praying for your family...

Although he didn't get his neck drilled yesterday, he did open his eyes half way and was squeezing hands more purposefully. It's a big step in my book. Hopefully today his eyes will be opening just as much, as I'm not greedy to think they'll be all the way open just yet. One day at a time, as any progress is excruciatingly slow. :cheerleader:

Back