Police dog attacks teenage girl at school

I was a K-9 officer and that dog shouldn't have chased unless commanded to . My Dog was a marshmellow unless you were threatening/yelling at me or I said the command . When I told my dog to sit or stay , it did not matter if people were running around . poorly trained is what it comes down to and i'm talking about the officer and dog.

What was your policy as far as bites were concerned ? Nine day quarantine ....... disposition if dog found in the wrong ?

I was a K-9 officer and that dog shouldn't have chased unless commanded to . My Dog was a marshmellow unless you were threatening/yelling at me or I said the command . When I told my dog to sit or stay , it did not matter if people were running around . poorly trained is what it comes down to and i'm talking about the officer and dog.
Did you have to help train him? The officer I lived to said they were still working with his dog. I can't remember all the details about it. He told us not to run from the "pup" (he was still huge) He had both his old and his new dog for a while, he was trying to get them to let him keep the old dog after the dog "retired".....I don't think they let him though, didn't see the old one after a while... Then they moved away.

dadofthree , I was air force and we train all the branches of the military plus alot of civilian. All the federal port cops at the seattle airport where I work were trained at Lackland AFB . We didn't have any policy for bites other than if you were in the wrong you were in deep s@$#. I don't think they would punish the dog because we were always told that the dog was worth more than we were :). I know alot of dogs were not to great as far as control , and those dogs went to the army for sentry duty because they didn't need to be trained to stop biting on command . If I sent my dog to bite you and you stop and put your hands in the air All I do is say "out" and he WILL stop . If during training the dogs fails to learn this process they become sentry dogs not Law Enforcement . I never heard of any instance where there was a mistake but I do realize in the civilian world you have alot more going on .

Gregor6, We trained our dogs alot and at every base you went to you changed dogs and got whatever dog they had there . I had two differenet dogs Boz a 3 1/2 year old and Duchess a 2 year old bomb dog . Both awesome dogs . If my dog was off leash and you happened to run by they would not take off after you . These dogs are not trained to be mean they are trained to follow commands. During searches when you are "pumping up" your dog or doing exercises they get excited and can be hyper , this dog is probly only let out of the car when there is something he's going after . Now you shouldn't let others touch your dog but they should have normal interactoin with people.

I would never want to be a Cop without a K-9 as a partner , not that I don't think they are better than people but they will NOT hesitate to protect you with thier life, and you would be amazed at the respect you get when you walk into an NCO club where there is a fight going on with 10+people and you say "watch'em" the dog starts barking and EVERYONE stops instantly!:laugh:

Just wanna throw this out to frisbee, this is something that always bugged me and people think i'm nuts for it. Say you watch a reality cop show and they let the dog loose on someone, dog takes down suspect and as cops take over dog is still pulling and barking towards the group while the handler is trying to pull him out. In my eyes thats a very poorly trained dog. With zeus he could be mid flight towards a bite sleeve and told out and would come down dead in his tracks. Seems like that level of training at least out my way just isnt there. Is that just a police thing? I never really looked into how the military trains they're dogs.

Just wanna throw this out to frisbee, this is something that always bugged me and people think i'm nuts for it. Say you watch a reality cop show and they let the dog loose on someone, dog takes down suspect and as cops take over dog is still pulling and barking towards the group while the handler is trying to pull him out. In my eyes thats a very poorly trained dog. With zeus he could be mid flight towards a bite sleeve and told out and would come down dead in his tracks. Seems like that level of training at least out my way just isnt there. Is that just a police thing? I never really looked into how the military trains they're dogs.
when a dog is in "Drive" mode it just doesnt break that easily. at least not in the real world that is. in sport competitions it does but those are sport dogs biting a jute sleeve or suit and is almost always during the day time and the dog can sense training from reality.

when a dog is tasting sweat, blood, tears and has a strong sense of "Fearmones" from the suspect it has bit it just doesnt break off immediately when the handler says break. I have been around Police dogs for 16 years and work with Police dogs on a regular basis. I have seen probably 25-30 different Police dogs in action during real live suspect take downs and NONE of them just break when the handler says break when its a live bite. biting onto a sleeve in training is a whole different concept for a dog then when out in the street.

recalling a dog before they take a hit on the sleeve in training is easy and done all the time during recertifictaion but again when the dog is on the street biting a human being it just doesnt happen that easily. some dogs will come off a lot easier then others but in my experience most have to be pulled off.

its not a police thing, its just that a dog knows when its training and when its real and when its real that dog is so amped up and in drive that it loses its focus to just release its bite on a suspect in the field.

there are some that break better then others but its just not like it is during training. a Police dog is only about 40% cabable after it leaves the K-9 Police academy. its REAL training like a cops training comes from the street and not on a field with a helper.

when a dog is in "Drive" mode it just doesnt break that easily. at least not in the real world that is. in sport competitions it does but those are sport dogs biting a jute sleeve or suit and is almost always during the day time and the dog can sense training from reality.

when a dog is tasting sweat, blood, tears and has a strong sense of "Fearmones" from the suspect it has bit it just doesnt break off immediately when the handler says break. I have been around Police dogs for 16 years and work with Police dogs on a regular basis. I have seen probably 25-30 different Police dogs in action during real live suspect take downs and NONE of them just break when the handler says break when its a live bite. biting onto a sleeve in training is a whole different concept for a dog then when out in the street.

recalling a dog before they take a hit on the sleeve in training is easy and done all the time during recertifictaion but again when the dog is on the street biting a human being it just doesnt happen that easily. some dogs will come off a lot easier then others but in my experience most have to be pulled off.

its not a police thing, its just that a dog knows when its training and when its real and when its real that dog is so amped up and in drive that it loses its focus to just release its bite on a suspect in the field.

there are some that break better then others but its just not like it is during training. a Police dog is only about 40% cabable after it leaves the K-9 Police academy. its REAL training like a cops training comes from the street and not on a field with a helper.

Thats what I couldn't say , because like I said in the military you don't have near the activity that they get in the civilian world . I know the dogs here where I work are pretty mellow too but you don't get alot of action at the airport , and alot of them are bomb and drug dogs .
GNBRETT , I envy you getting to still work with dogs , I've told the cops at the port here I would be willing to help and take bites .

Thats what I couldn't say , because like I said in the military you don't have near the activity that they get in the civilian world . I know the dogs here where I work are pretty mellow too but you don't get alot of action at the airport , and alot of them are bomb and drug dogs .
GNBRETT , I envy you getting to still work with dogs , I've told the cops at the port here I would be willing to help and take bites .
good helpers are always hard to find. people dont realize hoe exhausting decoy work is.

when I retire I plan on doing something with dogs and bomb dogs is something I might pursue that when I hang it up in a few years. or maybe search and rescue.

BAN ALL POLICE DOGS!!

...if my dog did that, what ever breed it was would be banned, so I think all police dogs should be too.

:poke::poke:

if this was a civilian dog it wouldnt have been put down either, from my experience anyway.

I spent years listening to "experts" Critique and tell me and courts how, why where and when defense dogs react the way they do and your explanation is by far one of the better ones i've seen:thumbsup:. It actually makes me wonder if the night of my incident he didnt take it as just "field practice" with a little blood, as i said on a sleeve and competition he could be stopped dead in his tracks, which in turn was the case when he got the real deal, stayed at my side, went on command and then came right off and back when commanded but that was also his first and turns out last real case scenario. There also wasnt a ton of distraction around him either.

There also wasnt a ton of distraction around him either.
hit the nail on the head there....:goodidea: cops running, suspect(s) running, cats, dogs, other animals, sirens, horns blowing, people including cops disturbing track scents, etc.... are all distractions a Police K-9 will encounter in the field and the dog will often go into prey drive really fast and when a dog is in strong prey drive it does not want to let go of what its caught.

thats why you will often here that a Police K-9 is "sleeve happy" and when it has the sleeve it wont let go very easily and the sleeve is slipped off. im not a big fan of sleeve training at all my self for Police dogs. im a firm believer in suit training for Police dogs.

ive seen poorly trained or worked K-9's run right along side of a suspect looking for that sleeve and refuse to bite. thats usually a result of a police dog that sees little action in the street cause either its handler is useless and never exposes the dog to real life action or simply poor training or just a dog that should have washed out in the academy. can be all sometimes.

if you watch a KNPV trail you will see how a "REAL" Police dog should act. Police departments dont have the time or resources to train their dog like that tho. KNPV dogs are usually Malinos which imo are the best dogs period for Police training but thats just me. there are plenety of incredible Sheppards dont get me wrong but a Malinos can just do things physically that Sheppard has more difficulty doing.

to complete a Police K-9 academy it takes a green dog about 4 months to complete its training. a KNPV trained dog which is usually seen in Europe but are here as well will take close to a year just complete one aspect of its training. 3-5 years before a KNPV dog is completely trained. French Ring is also a favorite of mine and again takes years to get a complete title. they are usually trained to attack the legs and there are pros and cons to that but its a pretty impressive feat nonetheless when you watch them compete.

I will say that we have a black Sheppard that is simply one of the best Police K-9's I have ever seen period. incredible biter, tracker, obedience, drug dog, etc... gives new meaning to the phrase "clear headed". he would tear ur throat out if u got near the car but as soon as he jumps out of the car he will jump up and lick ur face. he is the prodigy of police dogs and would sell for probably $60k if sold by one of those estate protection dogs you see on the internet all the time scamming people. one in a hundred thousand easily.

Back