cop shoots dog at dog park

C;mon man, we are talking about a damn dog park, what's wrong with you people?:poke:

Yes I see your right .
I forgot they have signs posted at dog parks saying it's illegal to commit a crime there .
And yes I forgot criminals follow laws .
:rofl: :poke:

Ever watch pit boss?

yea, the midget with the attitude. he does love his pits, but he doesn't do us owners any justice. makes us all look like drug dealers and ****. sometimes, respectable people do own pits. and we love our animals, and they love us. but same deal, some cop overreacting and executing an animal for no reason.

i think if you take your do to a dog park u ought to know this could happen (not the shooting) but the rough play between dogs, its only natural for them to do this, that being the case i dont think it justifies the shooting of the dog..

:poke:
I can agree with what you are saying, but just think, If YOU were to have done that, tell me that you would not be in any hot water with the law. I'm sure that discharge around children or in a park would be more that enough to put you away for a few months. Its obserd that the dog got shot, but the part that pisses me off even more is that no more investigation is planed. Oh, its a cop/military so its fine he knows what he is doing.

That sounds awfully like what happened with the dog, don't it? That is why you have to be educated and permitted to CC, so you know how to handle a situation.
Ok, lets hypothetically think that it was a police dog... I'm sure it could have tore the husky a new one. No need for a gun... :poke:

Actually if it was a police dog, it would be considered assaulting an officer, so more than likely the dog would have been shot by his partner, the cop with a gun.

As to the fact about being trained to carry a CC - If the scenario I painted of defending a loved one was to happen and I had a gun or knife or any other weapon, then by saying "im gonna kill you" would give the person more than enough room to shoot me. I left out the part about a weapon. I do have a CC and know when I can use it. The dog's weapon was his teeth.

I think it all boils down to the husky owner/babysitter being naive and neglegent knowing that the husky could be easily misinterpreted as harmful when it was only "playing rough".

DISCLAIMER - I'm not LEO, or in any way affiliated with the military or any type of law enforcement. I do read a lot though :poke:

Ok Speed I was trying to google some backup info to show you things do happen at dog parks.
When I googled 'rape at dog park' this is what came up first.
You gotta LYAO...
Can a dog be charged with rape if they hump my dog at the dog park? - Yahoo! Answers
:rofl::rofl:

Then I found this article form the Baltimore Sun.
It states yes there are 2 sides to this story BUT police have refused to release the shooters name and also refused to allow him to be interviewed by outside sources.
Unleashed: Cop kills Bear-Bear at Arundel dog park: Justified? - Pets in Baltimore: Dogs, cats, animal shelters and rescues in Maryland by reporter Jill Rosen - baltimoresun.com
A quote by one who knew Bear Bear the one who was shot..
Tarnna Hernandez saw Bear-Bear all the time. She lives two doors down from the Rettaliatas and Bear-Bear plays with her children and Marshmallow, her year-and-a-half-old Dalmatian/Australian Shepherd mix.

“I’ve never personally seen him be aggressive toward any dog or human or anything, for that matter,†Hernandez said. “My two very young children love Bear-Bear and would attack him every time they saw him with hugs and love.â€

I have not seen that dog hurt anyone. Or snarl. He’s never even barked,†she said. “His only way was to get out a gun out and shoot him? Uh-uh. It’s completely unbelievable.â€

And some of the comments posted there as well...
99% of them are against the cop and along same line as here, they dont understand...

Posted by: Rufus Jenkins | August 3, 2010 9:49 PM
If two children were playing roughly, would the cop have shot the child prior to the parent being able to intervene?
If the cop felt threatened, he could have kicked the dog. Who shoot's a dog? In an off leash dog park, no less. Was that the only way or best way to handle any situation? Shoot to kill? Police officer or not! He is a murderer. This is animal cruelty. The ASPCA needs to investigate.
Had this been a civilian with a carry license, would charges be pressed? How about excessive force or discharging a firearm without cause?
This police officer sounds like a danger to society and the people he is supposed to protect. It sounds like he responds with excessive force. Makes you wonder what else he would respond to in that way. There should be consequences to his actions. Don't go to dog parks, especially off leash parks, if you can't comprehend that dogs are animals. This police officer is an embarrassment to dog owners and police officers alike.

Posted by: Tim Heath | August 3, 2010 10:01 PM
There is only one reason this guy should have pulled his gun and shot a dog...the dog was savagely attacking a human being and there was no way to stop him. This was not the case.
While the Anne Arundel County Police Department may not think that a crime was committed, there certainly was. A dog may be considered property by some, but by others, a dog is considered a member of the family. To have a member of your family taken from your life under such violent circumstances is a crime and that man should not be allowed to carry a gun. He clearly did not show good judgment. How can he be trusted to carry a gun in the future...on or off duty.
I have been to dog parks on many occasions, and seen dog fights. Most do not last long, and rarely is there any damage to either dog. This is a travesty of justice, and the police need to investigate further and bring justice for Bear-Bear and his owners.

And a comment posted by the dead dogs owner which is very interesting...
Posted by: Tracy | August 4, 2010 1:53 AM
My wife and I are greatful for everyones kind words. We will make the best attempts to make this right in our eyes. Bear Bear deservied the best. As for the person involved he has not come forward and apologized at all. Not that i am sure that would help. However we do have his name and we are going to post it in the neiborhood on flyers so people know who to be on the look out for. Animal control informed us there wasnt a scratch on the shepard. so where was the threat? Why is our dog dead? Why can we not press charges? What type of officer is he and who does he work for. My wife and I have been getting stonewalled all day with his details. He will pay for this

The shooter must be some sort of higher up untouchable is what i'm beginning to lean toward. He did it because he knew he could and walk away.
Maybe ? FBI, Secret Service, Homeland Security ? Maybe ?

Yes I see your right .
I forgot they have signs posted at dog parks saying it's illegal to commit a crime there .
And yes I forgot criminals follow laws .
:rofl: :poke:

You can never tell when a crime is going to happen. I could provide plenty of examples when ordinary people were caught in the middle of crazed individuals in perfectly safe parts of town. A dog park is not dangerous per say, but some of the people that go there or pass by might be unstable and/or dangerous.

:poke:
As to the fact about being trained to carry a CC - If the scenario I painted of defending a loved one was to happen and I had a gun or knife or any other weapon, then by saying "im gonna kill you" would give the person more than enough room to shoot me. I left out the part about a weapon. I do have a CC and know when I can use it. The dog's weapon was his teeth.

There are limitations and common sense involved in every conflict. So if someone has a gun to your head, are you going to first go for your gun, knowing that he can put three rounds in you head by the time you can get armed?
I have been in that situation, and was praised by the whole police dpt. for unarming the idiot, the holding him at gunpoint till the police arrived. Granted this was in my own living room and I had every right to shoot, I didn't.

And I promise you, I'm not trying to straight up fight with you, I just enjoy a good debate once in a wile. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
By the way, I'm not saying the cop had a right to shoot the dog without the other side of the story. I'm playing devil's advocate. IF the husky was really attacking and biting/mauling at the cops dog then I think he had the right to shoot him. If the husky was really only playing a little and mouthing and nothing serious then it's horrible the dog was shot. We'll never know I guess..

There are limitations and common sense involved in every conflict. So if someone has a gun to your head, are you going to first go for your gun, knowing that he can put three rounds in you head by the time you can get armed?
I have been in that situation, and was praised by the whole police dpt. for unarming the idiot, the holding him at gunpoint till the police arrived. Granted this was in my own living room and I had every right to shoot, I didn't.

And I promise you, I'm not trying to straight up fight with you, I just enjoy a good debate once in a wile. :thumbsup:

Same here man :beerchug: just a good debate. I've walked into a situation similar to yours and saw loved ones being held hostage when I opened the front door and I took off running knowing that they had to chase me or just take off because they were found out. 2 of them with guns, would have shot someone inside if I started a shootout with them. I agree there are many variables in each situation that need to be addressed.

I do love a debate which is why I'm playing devil's advocate, because we don't know the whole story. Just saying "IF" the dog was seriously attacking his dog and couldn't get them apart safely, I probably would have ended up shooting the other dog.

This is unbelievable that anyone is even remotely supporting the officer. Anyone knows how sensitive dogs ears are. Even if we assume that the dog was indeed attacking, officer couldve just shot in the air or beside the dog on the ground. That loud bang wouldve been more than sufficient to scare the dog away.
Moreover someone said that it was found later that the officer's dog wasnt event harmed in anyway. So where was the threat? That husky was a regular there, and obviously he wasnt an aggressive dog. Otherwise he wouldnt have been left unleashed.

This is purely the over usage of authority and power and knowing the fact that he can get away with that.

I understand that LEOs needs to be cautious and prepared for any situation, but it seems nowadays they crossed the borderline and became scared chickens. Any little thing is soooo scary to them that they have to use the maximum force. If they are that scared man, then they shouldnt be in law enforcement. They should go find a desk job somewhere 'safe' for them.

that would be one sorry cop if he would shoot my boy. i dont care if the dogs were fighting... you break it up. for god sakes he is a cop. when people start fighting do you shoot them??? or simply do your job and break it up. this is someone who should not be able to carry a pistol. and why exactly do you need to carry at a dog park with your wife??

+ infinity.

If that had been my dog, that cop would be permanently maimed. I'd happily go to jail for crippling some a-hole who shot my dog. It would be worth it.

Clearly what we have here are dog-owners who don't know anything about dogs.

When a dog is on a leash (as the federal officer's was) the dog is in a protective mode and will be defensive to any other animal approaching it's family. The moment the leash comes off the dog will understand that it is free to play and will no longer be in that protective mode.

Had the officer just let his dog off the leash it would have solved the situation and the dogs most likely would have played nicely. Alternatively, he could have left.

When you take a dog into an enclosed dog park, TAKE THEM OFF THE LEASH.

Jail is where you go when you get drunk, prison is where you go when you do something wrong, like shoot a cop.

It's not that the "DOG PARK" is dangerous. Everyone who thinks that it is "stupid" to need to carry a gun to a "Dog park" is insanely naive. It's not the stupid fact that it's a damn dog park. It's the fact that people, no matter where you go, are unstable. People have gone into grocery stores shooting the place up, schools, businesses, in perfectly safe and reasonable parts of town. Crazy/evil people who are out there to do harm don't discriminate location.

As for just "breaking up the fight" - dogs in a fight will mistakingly bite anyone. I'm not going to get a pierced artery/stiches.

Last edited:
If both or all dogs are off the leash most of the time they will run and play as friendly as can be but let one loose dog approach an owner and his dog who's still on leash and that dog will act differently. His instinctive defensive manner will most often overpower him and a 'fight' will occur .
(I watch 'The Dog Whisperer' ) :)

Clearly what we have here are dog-owners who don't know anything about dogs.

When a dog is on a leash (as the federal officer's was) the dog is in a protective mode and will be defensive to any other animal approaching it's family. The moment the leash comes off the dog will understand that it is free to play and will no longer be in that protective mode.

Had the officer just let his dog off the leash it would have solved the situation and the dogs most likely would have played nicely. Alternatively, he could have left.

When you take a dog into an enclosed dog park, TAKE THEM OFF THE LEASH.

At least somebody else knows same .

This is why I don't go to dog parks .
I would most likely shoot the owner only cuz I love dogs :)

Back