Okay, since we are back...

(MoosesBusa @ Sep. 06 2006,21:42)
(yamahor @ Sep. 06 2006,21:25)
(MoosesBusa @ Sep. 06 2006,21:21) What a way to go! Only person on file to die from a sting ray attack. Guess the lesson learned is not to try petting a sting ray while its being chased by a shark... He died like he lived ... on the edge close to nature.
rock.gif

Not THAT rare... but he was 1 of 3 in Australian history as I understand. And it wasn't being chased by a shark...
So he was just lucky enough to get the Sting ray with a bad attitude! nice  
 I heard there were no known cases on file on sting rays killing humans. Perhaps they were talking about a particular region or country that I didn't catch... Still ... Dayum
I saw on NBC Today show that there was only like 17 deaths like this. With a gazillion humans, it is rare, to say least.

A huge loss, he took a lot of risks and lived a good life.

I wish the best to his family.

(mofuggahere @ Sep. 06 2006,19:24)
(gsferrari @ Sep. 06 2006,19:18) Just Simple Natural Selection...

if you are a cold prick...

Although I am not a fan...quite the opposite in fact -
How do you not like the Crocodile Hunter? Guy did wonders for the wildlife community.
rock.gif

I for one am very sad about the news
I dont believe in invasive conservation. I've done 3 tiger surveys and 1 cheetah survey..apart from the less interesting bird and reptile surveys. We make every effort to minimize interaction with the subjects and we make every effort to make sure the environment is just the way we left it.

No film cameras (absolutely) and no film cameras unless you are documenting prints or if you are on a bird survey. Only hand wound cameras...no automatic rewind...

Point is - this guy and his antics go against everything I have been taught to practice while working with nature. Nature is best left alone...

I feel sorry for the guy but I cant help thinking that Nature had had enough of his abuse and fought back. A tiger isn't happy if you pull out a splinter from his paw...he will still eat you - this is nature.

Even if he was invasive, he seemed to be very effective at spreading awareness. I would have probably not have given his show a second look if he was not such an entertaining guy.

He certainly had charisma.

(MoosesBusa @ Sep. 06 2006,18:44) I figured he'd go out from a black Mamba bite or something... Feel sorry for his two young ones the most
sad.gif
Similar to my thoughts.. His life was taken away in a most unexpected way. Can you imagine being terminated during the prime of your life? Honestly, the thought of that happening jerks a tear until I pull it back.
Even worse is that he left behind his beautiful family, albeit very well off. Their father and husband was a legend in life and will continue as such in death. Goodbye mate... Crikie you were good!!!

Steve Irwin did what he did to show people that animals should be left alone! He also did his thing to let people know that these "scary" creatures deserve to be protected...

He wasn't abusive in any way. He tought so many people and children about wildlife and to respect nature... and he didn't "deserve" to die. He didn't want to die. He risked his skin so others could learn. Simple as that. And he kept doing it all even after becoming rich and famous...

RIP

Really sucks. I didnt watch his show too much but did admire his passion for what he did. I did figure if he went early it would be from a snake bite or a pissed off gator...something like that. Not in such a freakish way. From what I read he spooked it. And it just reacted to him. Just a freak accident. I too wonder if he had left the barb in...would he have lived? Guess we will never know.

(deldewey @ Sep. 07 2006,02:07) RIP steve mate  
smile.gif
Your posts are tasteless and uncalled for. I think that the rest of the board members will agree. Do yourself a favor and remove those pics before you lose face with the rest of us..
Projekt

(gsferrari @ Sep. 06 2006,20:07)
(mofuggahere @ Sep. 06 2006,19:24)
(gsferrari @ Sep. 06 2006,19:18) Just Simple Natural Selection...

if you are a cold prick...

Although I am not a fan...quite the opposite in fact -
How do you not like the Crocodile Hunter? Guy did wonders for the wildlife community.  
rock.gif

I for one am very sad about the news
I dont believe in invasive conservation. I've done 3 tiger surveys and 1 cheetah survey..apart from the less interesting bird and reptile surveys. We make every effort to minimize interaction with the subjects and we make every effort to make sure the environment is just the way we left it.

No film cameras (absolutely) and no film cameras unless you are documenting prints or if you are on a bird survey. Only hand wound cameras...no automatic rewind...

Point is - this guy and his antics go against everything I have been taught to practice while working with nature. Nature is best left alone...

I feel sorry for the guy but I cant help thinking that Nature had had enough of his abuse and fought back. A tiger isn't happy if you pull out a splinter from his paw...he will still eat you - this is nature.
"His Abuse" you have got to be kidding me. So when he organized the countless rescues or relocation of threatened animals. How exactly is this so called "abuse" occuring.

He and his organization in Australia has done so much research to better the wildlife community, the world should be so lucky to have a million Steve Irwin by "Crikey". Thousands of kids and adults alike i have been exposed to tons of animals and their needs because of the Croc Hunter, that alone is invaluable.

I am sorry but your description of his work is well..........just totally uncalled for and in appropriate, especially given the timing.

If those are your true thoughts on such a good person, i feel sorry for you.
sad.gif

People i am sorry about the rant, but i for one will sadly miss Steve Irwin as many others around the world will.

He died doing what he loved. We should all be so lucky.
I feel bad for his kids...
RIP Steve

Your posts are tasteless and uncalled for. I think that the rest of the board members will agree. Do yourself a favor and remove those pics before you lose face with the rest of us..[/Quote]

Sorry, but it appears you are not ready for British /Australian humor yet
rock.gif

I loved his shows and his carefree existance and will miss them, but I was not surprised after all that guy played with the most dangerous creatures known just like us always talking about going down on a motorcycle its not if its when, But he at least went doing exactly what he loved.

RIP Steve

Back