New wave of smaller bikes

I had to go
back and look ;

I never made it
to the last bike
laugh out loud .

:lol:

I got to thinking on this earlier, we had a few small bike which were significant before:

RD/RZ series, that RZ500 was a cool bike
RG series, both the 250 and 500 were/are iconic and if they are in Walter Wolf garb, even more so
TZR 250. a race bike on the street
FZR400, what a great little bike
NS400, Honda made a great bike here even though it was a triple and 100ccs down on it's competition
400 Bandit, a little heavy but a great motor
250 Ninja-decent bike for it's day
Suzuki GS400S, not too bad

Japan had a whack of smaller bikes which never made it across the pond too.

Anybody remember those bikes I missed?

I agree and you typically hear I need to get a 1000 because I’m too big for a 600 but from a height perspective they are the same basically the liter bike is just wider thru the tank and frame a bit. But egos keep majority of riders from giving the smaller bikes a look.

I would rather the 1000 because I know the 600 wouldn’t feel good enough for me

Neighbour down the way bought a CBR300R and has a pipe on it....I thought there was a lawn tractor coming down the street...they look good but don't sound great.
I thought the same thing about a Ninja the other day! A guy pulled beside me at a red light on a Ninja 300 I think it was and I thought it looked kinda cool but when we pulled off I couldn't help but laugh. It sounded like a weed eater

I thought the same thing about a Ninja the other day! A guy pulled beside me at a red light on a Ninja 300 I think it was and I thought it looked kinda cool but when we pulled off I couldn't help but laugh. It sounded like a weed eater
I had no markings on my old Gen 1 Bandit and one of those 300's pulled on me out on the hiway a few years back...he got a real surprise.

A few miles down the road I was meeting up with a few buddies at a coffee shop and this guy eventually caught up and pulled in...he thought my bike was smaller and that his bike would have done a little better against it. That old Bandit would really pull hard when pushed.

....that being said, I'd ride one...

Last edited:
When my Nephew sells the R3 to upgrade to something bigger, my brothers and I are going to Buy it. Yamalube has a 100 000 mile guarantee. We thought we would put that to the test.
Every road trip a member of the “R3 club” will be randomly selected ride the crap out of it, bouncing off the rev limiter as we try keep up to the Big bikes.

08F030FA-2231-46AD-AFED-AF92C1ED139E.jpeg

2ACDE063-27EA-4FE6-8B26-2EE5581DF5CD.jpeg

9EF67A31-C834-48AC-B3FB-26213BA96F96.jpeg

178A72D4-264C-4B99-AAAD-31819EA44254.jpeg

Back