Are riders getting even MORE unfriendly??

MeatGrinder

Registered
It was nice yesterday in Cleveland, Ohio. So there were a ton of bikes out. I'm really surprized at the attitude of most mc riders. Of course most "new generation" Harley riders won't even look at you, let alone wave, if you ain't on a HD. There are REALLY brainwashed.
But other sportbike riders were acting like the HD owners. 9 out of 10 wouldn't even give a nod as they passed by.
I started riding in the 70s, and there weren't a lot of bikes on the road. We waved to each other, it was the thing to do. But every year the "mc brotherhood" gets more and more snobbish. I'm to the point where I'm giving up on it, and ignoring everyone too. I'll wave, if waved to, but thats it now.
I know whats wrong with the new HD riders, but whats up with the sportbike owners? Do they look at the Hayabusa as an outcast or something?
Funny, the hardcore, "biker" Harley riders waved more than anyone. And me on a Busa, go figure...

That's why I just smile and wave to everyone!
biggrin.gif

I want them to know the Busa owners are a nice bunch of guys!
wink.gif

I don't care if it's a moped, I still wave!
laugh.gif

Josh
pirate.gif

The Harley guys are iffy at best...that's a topic that we've debated a few times on here...I ride with Harleys all of the time, and it's so funny to see some of the guys actually stop waving when they see my Busa in the crowd...
laugh.gif

The sport bikers I pass are always waving...I chalk it up to complete AWE that I've got the bike they want!
tounge.gif
Or, they're just nicer in VA!
cool.gif

yeah, what he said.

I wave or at least nod to everyone. Out here Hog riders rarley wave. Oh well.

I get that too. Changing this starts with each of us. Don't act like they do... wave anyway! I'm thinking about doing a wave, then if no response, HONKING and waving frantically and maybe standing up [if conditions permit] - just to make them feel silly for not 'acknowledging' a fellow biker. I'll let ya know how that goes.

Almost every bike that passes around here gives the wave. Only ones that do not are the militant bikers. All other old young seems to give the noid or wave.

I think we're seeing a product of the horsepower hype for the new model bikes. You're right it seems to be worse this year. I get that who does he think he is type look & it used to fire me up but now I just laugh. Motorcycle equivalent of penis envy.
tounge.gif

Actually, I had just the opposite experience yesterday. I rode the Ronin up inot the Catoctin Mountains and 100% of the riders I met waved !! And then when I got to the summit area and parked a few H-D riders came over and complimented the 'Busa. It was a good day.

DJ

I do what i call a back-hand wave with just 1 finger when i see harley riders. i got tire of getting no response with the traditional wave. u guys should try it one day...its a new trend.

I do what i call a back-hand wave with just 1 finger when i see harley riders. i got tire of getting no response with the traditional wave. u guys should try it one day...its a new trend.
That's what my husband does from his Harley to the sport bikers!
smile.gif
They never see it; that's why he's still alive!
tounge.gif

That's what my husband does from his Harley to the sport bikers!  
smile.gif
 They never see it; that's why he's still alive!  
tounge.gif
i hope hes not doing it to u vabusa, LOL, kidding. but im suprise they dont see him doing it since he s on a very slow bike. i can imagine myself speeding and they not seeing me.

I wave at every bike regardless. I say lead by example! If they don't wave back, who cares. Bad kharma is always its own punishment so don't waste your time even getting mad.

I remember the first time I waved at a harley rider and he didn't acknowledge me back. I was livid, then I turned to confused, then I felt sorry for him. I felt sorry because he was so closed minded to a specific type of bike rider, that he couldn't see past the HD Windscreen on his bike to give me a HI. So every class I teach I always mention "The Wave", the simple little thing, no matter what type bike your riding, that lets another rider know that you are part of that fraternity, brotherhood, sisterhood, and/or family. In South Florida when I ride, I would say that out of 10 riders I pass, 6 will wave. The others never even acknowledge me. When I ask my classes why they don't wave at bikers on other brands of motorcycles I always get the same response "They never wave back" These are harley guys saying sport bike guys never wave back.. I'm confused, is this true. My fellow sport bike/sport touring riders don't wave. Yes it is true, Most of my turn down waves are from sport bike riders. Maybe we are going to fast to see the other rider, I don't know. But as long as im riding I will be waving. No matter what kind of bike your riding, you can count on me to acknowledge your love for the ride.

Here are some compiled reasons why most harley riders dont wave
biggrin.gif

Top 10 Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave at Other Motorcyclists.

10) They're way too cool to acknowledge any non-Harley riders.

9) They're too busy daydreaming about owning a real motorcycle.

8) Their engine is too weak to handle the added wind resistance of a waving hand.

7) The Rottie (in back of the pickup truck with the tied down Harley) is easily upset by rapid hand movements.

6) Are you kidding? Risk their lives trying to control a Harley with just one hand!

5) They're too busy humming "Born to be Wild" while fantasizing about being Peter Fonda or Dennis Hopper.

4) They're too busy figuring out how to pay for the next order of genuine Harley accessories (including the "official" HD calculator needed to add up the cost).

3) If we really have to tell you, you won't understand anyway.

2) They can't see you because their half-shell helmet keeps falling down over their eyes.

1) They think we are actually trying to draw their attention to the parts falling off their bikes, and they are sick and tired of it.

laugh.gif
 Excellent coach!

I wave at everybody.  I especially like waving at the cops, especially if he's got the radar on me and I'm doing the speed limit.  It's like, I see you...you see me...we're cool.

I always give a vigorous thumbs up to a local group of Vespa scooters too.  Some real classics there.

It seems that older or more self confident Harley riders will always wave.  Nothing to prove.

<!--EDIT|Big O
Reason for Edit: "&quot;nothin to prove&quot; comment"|1080644045 -->

I wave, what is alot of fun is to be in a long sweeper, give the Harley guys the wave and watch NONE of them wave back cause they are still trying to figure out how I can go round a corner with just one hand on the bars...
biggrin.gif

Nah, I could give a poop. Alot of the places you stop around here when riding have a mix of all sorts. The Harley crowd usually just forms up their own little click of 50 something dentists and tries to look hardcore while doing everything they can to avoid a u-turn or anything that might expose the lack of ability some of them are so rampant with...

By and large though, I figure small little minds on Harley's don't wave but the majority of the folks out there on rice or Iron give the wave if they see you...
I'm not going to get to wrapped up about it... Hell I don't wave sometimes if I am busy on the Bike.

I wave, what is alot of fun is to be in a long sweeper, give the Harley guys the wave and watch NONE of them wave back cause they are still trying to figure out how I can go round a corner with just one hand on the bars...  
biggrin.gif

Nah, I could give a poop.  Alot of the places you stop around here when riding have a mix of all sorts.  The Harley crowd usually just forms up their own little click of 50 something dentists and tries to look hardcore while doing everything they can to avoid a u-turn or anything that might expose the lack of ability some of them are so rampant with...  

By and large though, I figure small little minds on Harley's don't wave but the majority of the folks out there on rice or Iron give the wave if they see you...
I'm not going to get to wrapped up about it...  Hell I don't wave sometimes if I am busy on the Bike.
jump9.gif
ices_rofl.gif
jump9.gif

jump9.gif

I always wave even if I don't get one back...I try to take them out with Hayabusa kindness. LOL
laugh.gif

We got the same thing this past weekend from Hardley rand sportbike riders both . Most do wave but some try and uphold that bad ass biker attitude to the end . We wave anyway because it really doesnt matter what you ride as long as you ride .

Back