Are riders getting even MORE unfriendly??

Seems to me that some hd rideers wave and some give you a dirty look, lately more dirty looks than waves. Sportbike riders are sick of waving and gettin dirty looks so they forget to wave all the time.

I wave at all riders...and I get a wave in return 90% of the time from sportbike rides and 70% of the time they turn around and want to ride with me and my busa...I get about a 50% wave return rate from HD riders...and a 0.5% turn around and ride with rate...though it has been known to happen in the past!!
biggrin.gif

I remember the first time I waved at a harley rider and he didn't acknowledge me back. I was livid, then I turned to confused, then I felt sorry for him. I felt sorry because he was so closed minded to a specific type of bike rider, that he couldn't see past the HD Windscreen on his bike to give me a HI. So every class I teach I always mention "The Wave", the simple little thing, no matter what type bike your riding, that lets another rider know that you are part of that fraternity, brotherhood, sisterhood, and/or family. In South Florida when I ride, I would say that out of 10 riders I pass, 6 will wave. The others never even acknowledge me. When I ask my classes why they don't wave at bikers on other brands of motorcycles I always get the same response "They never wave back" These are harley guys saying sport bike guys never wave back.. I'm confused, is this true. My fellow sport bike/sport touring riders don't wave. Yes it is true, Most of my turn down waves are from sport bike riders. Maybe we are going to fast to see the other rider, I don't know. But as long as im riding I will be waving. No matter what kind of bike your riding, you can count on me to acknowledge your love for the ride.

Here are some compiled reasons why most harley riders dont wave
biggrin.gif

Top 10 Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave at Other Motorcyclists.

10) They're way too cool to acknowledge any non-Harley riders.

9) They're too busy daydreaming about owning a real motorcycle.

8) Their engine is too weak to handle the added wind resistance of a waving hand.

7) The Rottie (in back of the pickup truck with the tied down Harley) is easily upset by rapid hand movements.

6) Are you kidding? Risk their lives trying to control a Harley with just one hand!

5) They're too busy humming "Born to be Wild" while fantasizing about being Peter Fonda or Dennis Hopper.

4) They're too busy figuring out how to pay for the next order of genuine Harley accessories (including the "official" HD calculator needed to add up the cost).

3) If we really have to tell you, you won't understand anyway.

2) They can't see you because their half-shell helmet keeps falling down over their eyes.

1) They think we are actually trying to draw their attention to the parts falling off their bikes, and they are sick and tired of it.
ices_rofl.gif
jump9.gif

Funny thing about that. I am of the opinion that the RUBS just don't know any better or are too busy being terrified by their hick ride's vibes to wave (rubber mounts on new sportys notwithstanding).

When I'm out in the stix, almost all bikers wave because in such cases comradeship means survival, in a loose sense anyway, and anyone "out there" on a bike usually is more laid back anyway.

Long-time bikers, even not-to-serious ones, really seem like a nice bunch and are pretty forthcoming. Inevitably, when folks are in groups, they tend to be less outgoing, but that's to be expected.

Chromed-out groups of wannabes in partial leathers, joke helmets, with trophy spouses (are their trophy husbands? Hmmm...) with a clear lack of gang affiliation are distinctively silly, however, and make me want to pack water balloons.

<!--EDIT|mcoyote
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080672603 -->

Well... around here not too many HD riders will wave at sportbikes but some do... I wave at everyone, hey you're on a bike, I'm on a bike it's all good!!

As far as the "bad attitude" thing, it goes for sportbike riders as well... Even Busa (gasp) riders!! I went to a local biker hangout this weekend and when I pulled up and got off the bike, I spotted a couple Busa's and went over to see if it was anyone from the board or just to chat up the Busa and they didn't even acknowledge me or say Hi when I said hello!!! Some Harley guys were standing around my bike when I walked back over to it and they gave me mad love and props on the bike and asked questions about it?? Go figure!?

In some of the canyons out here, Harley riders (some) will purposefully block the road so you can't pass them on your sportbike. They would prefer you take an extra wide path around them and risk getting hit from oncoming traffic than slide to the side and let you by...

I just don't understand it, we all ride... we have something in common, you would think that would make some type of "bond" between us... Oh well, I will continue to wave and speak to both sportbike riders (even when they're HATERS) and Harley riders if they are nice to me!!

Lo.........

Well I was blown off for the first time by a sport bike yeaterday, and it was a Busa of all things!

I was going to my side job (It was 87 degrees out and a fine time for a 35 mile ride!) on Rt 17 and I merged to the right to get off the 19th st exit.  A silver & grey Busa passed me in the middle lane.  I sped up along side him, on the off ramp, and gave him a vigerous-cool-like-dat! nod and he looked over and then looked straight ahead.

WTF?

Attention board members:  If that was you on the silver & grey yesterday at about 4:00pm on Rt 17 by the 19th St exit (in Arizona) ...

WTF?!?

When I started riding in 1990, in Montreal Canada, there was not too many bikes and evertime a bike crossed another one we would salute, even touring and most harley.
These days many riders do it for the fashion, the chicks.
It's not in there blood. I had a bike since I am 12 and probably have one for the rest of my life, they won't.
Like many of my friend who bought brand new bike, were poping wheelees in there first months, crashed and got ride of it.
To answer you question, there are not necessarily unfriendly, they are not real bike lovers!

I wave at bicycles, kids on skateboards, whatever. I try to wave at anyone that needs to be noticed a little more than a typical cager. That is why I wave at every bike I can, I figure it is a good way to bring more awareness to the bikes evrywhere.

Wave every time and don't worry about what the other guy is doing unless you see something that just shouldn't be there. Even when passing other riders going same direction I still wave to them, and then laugh when the HD's make a bunch of noise trying to catch back up to me just so they can get in front. So pathetic its almost cute

hrmm...I think that a lot of the riders now are just playing the "cool" part....

I don't worry too much about people wavin or not...at least not all the time. I just laugh it thinking "oh YOU'RE so cool...why don't we get off our bikes so I can just break your face?"

As much as I hate to say it, I am now in the 'crowd' that doesn't wave and rarely nods. Some time ago, motorcycling transformed from a recreation into nothing more than an impractical, yet somewhat cost-effective form of transportation.

To everyone that has a choice between two- and four- wheels, count your blessings. Ride year-round, in all-weather, dealing with close-calls on your life every day... mix that in with living in a city filled with soccer moms that think that anyone wearing a helmet must be a convicted felon; who brainwash their kids to think the same; and have old farts tell you that you look like a martian... and I can bet that you would just as soon strike the next warm-weather riding squid you see dead before you lift a finger to return a wave to anyone.

Of course, anyone that's been on these boards long enough should know how much I 'love' living in this city, so that might have a tiny bit to do with my attitude. Ah, maybe I'll feel like waving again someday. Just not around here anymore.
laugh.gif

for the most part i wave when waved to...or nod for that matter. i use to wave at all the riders out there......but when i waved to a rider on a harley in the past...... the guy never even acknowledge i was out there sharing the same road.....go figure....oh well???

for the most part i wave when waved to...or nod for that matter. i use to wave at all the riders out there......but when i waved to a rider on a harley in the past...... the guy never even acknowledge i was out there sharing the same road.....go figure....oh well???

I love to wave to everyone on two wheels, including the kids on bicycles.
And maybe the one wheel salute too,if conditions are favorable.

I point at the Hardley riders, this really gets them confused. When they look back, I hope they see the words on my jacket... hardley davidson, turning gasoline into loud noise without that "pesky" horsepower byproduct for a hundred years. Really, if they did make an airplane...would you fly in it??? And the fleecing of America continues....
laugh.gif

For a short while after I got together with my wife she didn't understand the wave. she would always ask, "did you know them", my reply was always, "No but they were on a bike, they have to have some redeeming qualities".

Now when we pass any bike, they get a double wave. Boy she catches on fast, lol.

Here in NC I get a return wave about 95% of the time, doesn't matter what their riding. I guess it's pretty friendly down south. Chris

Back