The elusive "wave"

As soon as I see another rider, I'll jump up and stand on the seat and wave with both arms. :laugh:

Nah, I'm usually concentrating too much on the road to notice other riders. :dunno:

I'll usually nod when I see another rider wave at me, though. I've never liked taking my hands off the controls while at the same time taking my eyes off the road.

The first time I waved to a biker on the Busa I just about shid my pants and dislocated that shoulder :whistle:

I have always given the low hand 2 finger wave. On my Honda Shadow I'd always get waves back from cruisers and once in a while from sport bikes. With the Busa I get waves back from all riders. Scooters and mopeds get a nod.
One thing we had a lot of when I rode Angeles Crest/Mulholland drive/Pacific Coast Hwy was the helmet tap for cops posted up ahead and a low horizontal wave for debris in road up ahead. I haven't seen that in Texas yet. Anyone else know about/do this or was it a Cali thing?

I have always given the low hand 2 finger wave. On my Honda Shadow I'd always get waves back from cruisers and once in a while from sport bikes. With the Busa I get waves back from all riders. Scooters and mopeds get a nod.
One thing we had a lot of when I rode Angeles Crest/Mulholland drive/Pacific Coast Hwy was the helmet tap for cops posted up ahead and a low horizontal wave for debris in road up ahead. I haven't seen that in Texas yet. Anyone else know about/do this or was it a Cali thing?

I have been saved many a time with two different police signals - The first was a left hand up and swirling around indicating a light on top of a cruiser. The other times it has always been the helmet tap.
I rode in Texas for a couple of years and never saw any signals either.
Bubba

Really!?!?! You know me that well?!?!? And your basing that on the statement that I don't like the stupid 'motorcycle wave'?

But I'm the problem.....

Not 'the' problem, but a contributor. It's the "If I don't acknowledge them, they don't don't exist." I see those people everywhere in the last few years. They won't even answer if I say hi to them. Those are the same people that see someone laying on the ground dying and they're saying "not my problem".

I hope I'm wrong about you.

Not 'the' problem, but a contributor. It's the "If I don't acknowledge them, they don't don't exist." I see those people everywhere in the last few years. They won't even answer if I say hi to them. Those are the same people that see someone laying on the ground dying and they're saying "not my problem".

I hope I'm wrong about you.

I never said said that I don't acknowledge other riders. If Another rider waves they get a nod in return although if I'm in the mood I'll wave back despite my feelings on the subject (I never initiate a wave). If I come upon another rider at a light or gas station etc I always say hello.

I equate the biker wave to driving around in my POS white work van and waving at every other van that I see, It's just silly IMHO.

depends where you are, heavy city traffic - not much waving gonna happen.
out in the country, more waving going on..........
Then there is the cruiser thing, some riders don't wave at sport bikes, some sport bike riders don't wave at cruisers. It's all random.

I never said said that I don't acknowledge other riders. If Another rider waves they get a nod in return although if I'm in the mood I'll wave back despite my feelings on the subject (I never initiate a wave). If I come upon another rider at a light or gas station etc I always say hello.

I equate the biker wave to driving around in my POS white work van and waving at every other van that I see, It's just silly IMHO.

I understand and respect your opinion, if I lived in an area, such as Europe where it is more common place to see riders, I may not wave as often and it might very well be a hassle, but I do not see riders all the time and still feel the camaraderie between those that ride and myself.

Your opinion means a lot to me because without yours, mine is meaningless.
Thank you for sharing.
BTW - Fsu does and War Eagle!

Bubba

I understand and respect your opinion, if I lived in an area, such as Europe where it is more common place to see riders, I may not wave as often and it might very well be a hassle, but I do not see riders all the time and still feel the camaraderie between those that ride and myself.

Your opinion means a lot to me because without yours, mine is meaningless.
Thank you for sharing.
BTW - Fsu does and Geaux Tigers!

Bubba

Living in a college town presents me whith a plethora of sandal and tshirt wearing teenagers riding around on mommy and daddy's money and I'm sure that has something to do with my opinion of the wave.

BTW, I fixed that last line for ya.... :thumbsup:

Living in a college town presents me whith a plethora of sandal and tshirt wearing teenagers riding around on mommy and daddy's money and I'm sure that has something to do with my opinion of the wave.

BTW, I fixed that last line for ya.... :thumbsup:

I too grew up in a college town (cow town) and know your frustrations about the "outsiders" and the spoiled brat frat syndrome that goes on. I was considered the "Greaser" if you will, and no one even understood where I came from, it did not matter to them. They were clearly educated far beyond their intelligence and were above all.
Bubba

Good to hear from a fellow member of the hometown boys!
Are you from N'orlens?

Hope I have not assumed too much or offended anyone!
No intention to do so.

Last edited:

I'm glad I was wrong.

I see it so much around Seattle and Portland that I guess it just jades my perspective way too much.

Man what a cool site this is, not only can we agree to disagree, but we can agree on so many agreeable things and get along and agree to not do a than amd alf
What the ??
Dang............ there goes that rooster again.
:laugh:

Last edited:
different take on the wave

Here in the North Georgia mountains, I see the wave, from another sportbike, as a signal that the next few miles are LEO free, and good for spirited riding. They like to hide in the shadows of the trees, and in their dark brown cars, it's not easy to see 'em til you're on 'em. The helmet tap tells you what's up the road, and has saved my hide many times.
It's harder when they're rolling, oncoming, and tag you with laser or radar, romping on it. The local leo's aren't too aggressive, but the state troopers are extremely aggressive. Last year a Harley rider was killed when a Trooper warped a u turn to chase another bike. Especially the ones with the hemi Chargers!

Re: different take on the wave

Here in the North Georgia mountains, I see the wave, from another sportbike, as a signal that the next few miles are LEO free, and good for spirited riding. They like to hide in the shadows of the trees, and in their dark brown cars, it's not easy to see 'em til you're on 'em. The helmet tap tells you what's up the road, and has saved my hide many times.
It's harder when they're rolling, oncoming, and tag you with laser or radar, romping on it. The local leo's aren't too aggressive, but the state troopers are extremely aggressive. Last year a Harley rider was killed when a Trooper warped a u turn to chase another bike. Especially the ones with the hemi Chargers!

Yeah the helmet tap has saved me many times in the mountains. And the peace sign is the okay for at least a few more miles of smiles.:laugh:
Ride on Brother, and Ride safe.
Bubba

depends where you are, heavy city traffic - not much waving gonna happen.
out in the country, more waving going on..........
Then there is the cruiser thing, some riders don't wave at sport bikes, some sport bike riders don't wave at cruisers. It's all random.

I remember when I first started hunting. Many moons ago young grass hopper. I would see people driving cars,trucks or whatever wave at us. I asked why they do that out here in the country. Nobody seemed to have the real answer. I chalked it up to just being neighborly. Now when out hunting I always wave to passer buyers.

Why don't we just stop shaking hands when we meet people too.
This is another example of how we alienate ourselves and lose the kinship of others who share a common interest.
While I do agree there are inappropriate times (such as a hard corner or heavy traffic) but when there is ample time and each has seen the other, why not a wave to say hi? We share a common bond and there is absolutely nothing wrong with a simple friendly gesture.
I think this day and age could use some good ole fashion values from the past to remind us that we are all in this together.
I will continue to wave even if no one ever waves back again.
Just my opinion, but I'm stickin to it.
Bubba

+1:thumbsup: agreed. I always wave to any rider, so long as conditions are safe, even the snobish, prudish, holyer than thou harley riders.

Why don't we just stop shaking hands when we meet people too.
This is another example of how we alienate ourselves and lose the kinship of others who share a common interest.
While I do agree there are inappropriate times (such as a hard corner or heavy traffic) but when there is ample time and each has seen the other, why not a wave to say hi? We share a common bond and there is absolutely nothing wrong with a simple friendly gesture.
I think this day and age could use some good ole fashion values from the past to remind us that we are all in this together.
I will continue to wave even if no one ever waves back again.
Just my opinion, but I'm stickin to it.
Bubba

With ya on this one! :thumbsup:

Ugh..... I hate the wave. It is a relic from a bygone era that needs to die.

The following article from the latest issue of MotorCyclist magazine sums it pretty well I think...

Biker Friendly Salute - Motorcyclist Magazine

Sounds like someone needs a hug!:lol:

Man, I wave to anyone riding...heck there was this 8 year old in my neighborhood a couple of weeks ago, as I was coming down the street he was riding his bike and he threw out the two finger biker wave:rofl::rofl: I gave him a wave back and laughed all the way home.

Back