If you do wave, then how?

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
The wave or not to other riders thing has been covered. However, I saw a post by Pacman in another thread about how he waves. Got me started thinkin'... Pacman's wave is completely different than what I get 100% of the time around my area. Pacman says he brings hand to chest level and waves, showin' the (freshly shaven
laugh.gif
) palm of his hand.

Ok, every single rider that has waved at me since I got the busa (all riders I have met have waved, by the way... even Harleys) waved by takin' the clutch hand and pointin' that hand/arm at approximately 45 degrees downward with a couple or all fingers extended as if they're pointing down at my lane. Make sense? If you're ridin' and you stuck your straightened out arm straight out to the side and then lowered it approx 45 degrees that's how they/we wave.

When I first got the busa I hadn't rode on the street much so I had no clue. I'd wave by pullin' up a couple fingers on my left hand, keepin' the hand on the grip. Got some pretty funny looks until I adopted the full arm wave I described above.
wink.gif

So, is this a regional thing? Or is it pretty universal? Is Pacman just a wierdo? (hehehehe...
laugh.gif
) Give yer location/area of the world and tell how most folks wave if you don't mind. I'm just curious...

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080679461 -->

laugh.gif

Yep Bullet, arm down and a few fingers out, usually the 2 finger peace-be-with-you sign.  I figure that keeps the hand as close to the controls as possible. Central Arizona

When I first started riding (18 yung and dumb and full of... well, you know) I'd hold my left fist in the air as a sort of victory salute.  Kinda like this
super.gif
but I didn' yet have the mohawk!
biggrin.gif

Oh and BTW - Pac-man is a wierdo.

(And I should know wierdos!)

<!--EDIT|Mikey D
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080679730 -->

I get all sorts of "waves" out here in Cali...   Including the royal salute, peace sign, the one you said, chest thump to peace sign, and about anything else you can think of.

firedevil.gif

<!--EDIT|CorrodedAlien
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080681528 -->

orangespinningskullreduced.gif

I usually do the two fingers down at a 45, most seem to do the same back. There is always a little variety, but not much. Greenville, South Carolina. USA.

Same in VA; most point to the ground just like BT described...damn, Pacman's looking like he's got the "hey, lookit! I'm riding!" kind of wave!
tounge.gif

Sorry...
laugh.gif

Central Iowa: I have two basic types - the 45 degree fingers alternating tween full open palm / peace / or gun hand pointer for the open road [which is really BETWEEN normal turn hand signals as to not confuse people behind you]..... and for the freeway with a concrete dividing wall where the first wave would not be seen, I do the up in the air almost like a right turn hand signal, but up by helmet, so it can be seen.

Some other experiments have shown that a fast up and down Kung-Fu grip thing is no good. Neither is the limp wristed fast hand flop. Fun to laugh about at parties, BAD idea out on the road. Never tried the Royal Queen pivot wave - never saw a reason to use that one. Standing up and spanking your buttocks is also a less than preferred salute.

NY here. Most wave as mentioned above. I however do more of a high-five wave - like you would wave to someone on the street walking in the opposite direction on another side of the street.

If I can't take me left hand off the handlebar at the moment, I don't. But, if I can, it's like I said. To me it's a bit mental. It just seems to me that little wave down at 45 deg may not be noticed, so I give high-five wave.

i usually just point at them and laugh maniacally behind my full face shoei. .. haha

nah, i do normally just point like.. "you da' man!"

even though I know it's really me

Lower the arm at the 45 degree angle here in Chicago. There was the one exception last summer though. It was only my second day out on the Busa and I happened to have another Busa pass me going the other way. He promptly saluted me by getting his bike almost completely perpendicular to the road. I felt so inadequate not being capable of saluting back at the time
sad.gif

I've done the peace sign for 20 years..............it started with a guy always doing it to me....so I reciprocated......years later I met him and found out he was just waving normally......but he was missing a few fingers!!! HAH!!!....on a 'busa it just seems normal to do it low....your hand is already down there!!!!!

"peace"

The wave or not to other riders thing has been covered. However, I saw a post by Pacman in another thread about how he waves. Got me started thinkin'... Pacman's wave is completely different than what I get 100% of the time around my area. Pacman says he brings hand to chest level and waves, showin' the (freshly shaven
laugh.gif
) palm of his hand.

Ok, every single rider that has waved at me since I got the busa (all riders I have met have waved, by the way... even Harleys) waved by takin' the clutch hand and pointin' that hand/arm at approximately 45 degrees downward with a couple or all fingers extended as if they're pointing down at my lane. Make sense? If you're ridin' and you stuck your straightened out arm straight out to the side and then lowered it approx 45 degrees that's how they/we wave.

When I first got the busa I hadn't rode on the street much so I had no clue. I'd wave by pullin' up a couple fingers on my left hand, keepin' the hand on the grip. Got some pretty funny looks until I adopted the full arm wave I described above.
wink.gif

So, is this a regional thing? Or is it pretty universal? Is Pacman just a wierdo? (hehehehe...
laugh.gif
) Give yer location/area of the world and tell how most folks wave if you don't mind. I'm just curious...
Heheh...so I see I have got another mind's wheel turning. That's good. BT, you know I love ya, bro! I was lookin fer the post where I put it, but I can't seem to find it.

Sometimes I just extend my arm straight out and do that finger thing. Most other times I do that hand at chest height thing and wave my hand side to side. Heheh....it's funny how the other riders look at you sometimes.
laugh.gif
I'm also experimenting with standing on the pegs, bouncing up and down and screamin like Tarzan at the top of my lungs. I'm sure the island's finest would question me, but hey: it's all about having fun, right? Heheh...

As fer yer bud Pac bein a weirdo, BT....yeah, most of his friends call him that. Heck, even my wife does! Haha...I have no probs with it, though. At least I can make them smile.

So yeah....sometimes the arm parallel to the road, most times wavin' like a Parade Queen, soon to be bouncin' liek an ape and screamin like a lunatic.

Aahh....the good things in life!
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

And no, I didn't forget about you, Mikey! So you think I'm a weirdo, huh? HUH?!?!

You're just jealous 'cause these voices only talk to me....

Two Fingers, Down Low 45 degrees, means peace bro, and smooth roads ahead.

Here in Maryland even the MSF Instructors teach the newbies how to render the proper 45 degree wave
smile.gif

DJ

Back