The elusive "wave"

slash

Registered
i have been riding a bike almost 30 years, im 41 now and i have noticed that the low hand one or two finger wave to a fellow rider does not happen as much as it did as when i had my harley.

Granted, i have noticed that most all sport bikes acknowlege their brothers on two wheels with this salute. What is the story here, is it a cultural thing? are they above us? is this something that happens all over or just where i ride?

I have always been impressed by the "brotherhood", wether it be a full dresser a sport bike or a scooter. I was kinda let down when this phenomenon continued to happen especially after you give the wave and they leave you hanging, it gives that loser feeling deep down inside.

okay, Not really, but is sucks just the same!!:rofl:

thoughts?

Last edited:
Yeah, I wave to everyone no matter what they ride (even scooters), and I am often let down by the few who either don't see you or just don't acknowledge you.
But I still get the wave from most (even HD guys).
And the No. 1 reason scooters don't wave is:
25 mph is too dang fast to try something stupid like that!:laugh:

This may help explain. https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/random-thoughts/113229-rider-waves.html

post-6-19446-IMG_1391__Large_.jpg

Ugh..... I hate the wave. It is a relic from a bygone era that needs to die.

The following article from the latest issue of MotorCyclist magazine sums it pretty well I think...

Biker Friendly Salute - Motorcyclist Magazine

Why don't we just stop shaking hands when we meet people too.
This is another example of how we alienate ourselves and lose the kinship of others who share a common interest.
While I do agree there are inappropriate times (such as a hard corner or heavy traffic) but when there is ample time and each has seen the other, why not a wave to say hi? We share a common bond and there is absolutely nothing wrong with a simple friendly gesture.
I think this day and age could use some good ole fashion values from the past to remind us that we are all in this together.
I will continue to wave even if no one ever waves back again.
Just my opinion, but I'm stickin to it.
Bubba

Last edited:
This is another example of how we alienate ourselves and lose the kinship of others who share a common interest.
While I do agree there are inappropriate times (such as a hard corner or heavy traffic) but when there is ample time and each has seen the other, why not a wave to say hi? We share a common bond and there is absolutely nothing wrong with a simple friendly gesture.
I think this day and age could use some good ole fashion values from the past to remind us that we are all in this together.
Bubba

well said...:bowdown:

Bubba

:clap::clap::peace:

As soon as I see another rider, I'll jump up and stand on the seat and wave with both arms. :laugh:

Nah, I'm usually concentrating too much on the road to notice other riders. :dunno:

I'll usually nod when I see another rider wave at me, though. I've never liked taking my hands off the controls while at the same time taking my eyes off the road.

There are so many riders on on weekends on some stretches of road around here, if you wave at evryone of them, your left hand will be off the grip more often than it's on the grip. (I still wave, tough, unless in a tight spot).

CW

Used to be that I waved at evryone while driving my truck. Around here anyway. This town is so small you probably knew them but it got to where I was doing the waving and not getting any returns so I bout quit. It's sad that people just don't seem as friendly as they used to. I still wave to all bikers and if they don't wave back, well, I feel like it's their loss. This is my wave to all of you.:bowdown:

Here is something I would be curious to know. Whether or not wearing a helmet makes a difference to Harley riders.

When Im on the Busa and wave at other sport bikes I would say 98% of the time I get a responce from other sportbikes, and the majority of the time with Harley riders with Helmets.

When Im on the VTX ( which coming down the road would look like a Harley type bike ) I get a responce from pretty much anyone wearing a helmet, Sportbike or not. But the Squid Harley Riders ( No Helmets ) Seems to be about 50/50. Does wearing a Helmet make you so uncool you dont deserve a wave back... ???

Don't forget that there are plenty of Harley riders that are newbies/poseurs and probably don't even know about the wave yet!:laugh:

I wave to all riders unless my left hand is busy operating the Busa.

Here is something I would be curious to know. Whether or not wearing a helmet makes a difference to Harley riders.

When Im on the Busa and wave at other sport bikes I would say 98% of the time I get a responce from other sportbikes, and the majority of the time with Harley riders with Helmets.

When Im on the VTX ( which coming down the road would look like a Harley type bike ) I get a responce from pretty much anyone wearing a helmet, Sportbike or not. But the Squid Harley Riders ( No Helmets ) Seems to be about 50/50. Does wearing a Helmet make you so uncool you dont deserve a wave back... ???
IMO wearing a helmet beats eating through an iv or worse...
Posted via Mobile Device

I wave at all bikes and scooters

Bikers are envious because Busa riders have 5xthe machine for 1/3 the $.

Back