Wave rotors

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Just curious why if they are such an improvement over the normal regular round rotor I don't see them in any MotoGp or other racing series ? Is it just me ? What big name high $ teams use wave style rotors ?
I see a lot of Brembos as well as ceramics but no waves ? What gives ?

had this discussion on another site awhile back....

nobody could find any proof of the factory claims, or any actual tests that have been done using the wave rotors against OEM stock rotors or the higher priced stuff. of maybe ten guy that had them, most could not say there was any difference. although some said they had better feel after the initial bite(first contact of the pads to rotors).

just some random info....

Interesting that you bring this up. I was watching The Isle of Man TT last night, and they did a little bit about the bikes themselves. They had a super sport class and super bike class that they were showing/describing and both of them did actually have wave rotors. I don't remember what team they belonged to, but they were $100,000 bikes. . . Might just be a sponsor thing, but there ARE some pros out there running wave rotors.

You don't see wave rotors in MotoGP because they are using ceramic rotors.

Generally beter rotor performance is due to the grade of material they are made of and their design (full floating etc) The waves are just supposed to help in cooling. Not a big deal unless you're hard core road racing. I've run the EBC cast iron superbike rotors before & it was a night & day difference from stock. Have some wave's installed on one of my 900's but I haven't had a chance to take them out for a spin yet.

I was looking for the same thing myself. They claimed that they gave more surface area to the pads. But...hmmm...I don't know if I believe that. There does seem to be quite a bit of marketing hype around certain things. That is why I didn't go out and pull the pin on $800 worth of brake mods. I figure that the calipers, pads, and rotors all have to be calibrated to get that optimal bite. Not sure if the rotors alone are going to make that HUGE of a difference. I posted last week asking about this, I made some calls, and it still seems a little vague unless you slap on a complete system. Even then for street use it might be overkill.

What I noticed the most was initial bite or feel at the lever, thats it, actual you get better results switchin to ss lines

Definately don't bother unless you upgrade your lines.....

The bike I had the rotors on had kevlar lines & high end pads. Not to mention billet triple clamps. That combined with the rotors was enough braking to throw you over the bars if you weren't ready for it.

The wave rotors look like they would weigh less (lower unsprung weight). Some people say they can feel a pulsing in their lever.

Back