New Guy needs advice

Sharkey

Registered
hey all, new guy from Maine here. Going to look at a 99 with 9k miles this weekend. Really want an 08 but you know....anyhow, what should I look out for besides the obvious. Any year specific problems etc. I've owned a dozen or so bikes over the years and have been a wrench for a long time. Advice is greatly appreciated and I will eventually return the favors....

A '99 and '08 don't really compare. The '99 is unrestricted and runs a better top end speed. It is the first year Hayabusa. The '08 has many , many improvements and includes the majority of mods being done here on GenI bikes. More ponies and better braking and suspension, etc. Gear indicator, no fuss start. Others will chime in. Good luck.

Is it the copper '99

It's black and gray, looks good although I like the copper/white too. I understand about the restricted vs unrestricted and some of the usual year to year differences. I thought I read somewhere that certain years had chassis crack issues, and some years have build quality issues, you know, stuff like that. This one has a Power commander, speedo healer, chrome swingarm (I don't know if it is an extended one yet), Corbin seat with a passenger backrest(which won't be seeing any passengers!). Pictures look ok but hard to tell some things.
Again, thanks in advance...

Only 9k I wouldnt worry too much. Sure youll prob. have some isues but prob. not too serious. I'd be more worried about WHO owned it than the year or mi.:beerchug:

:welcome: to the org.

As I recall the 99 had some frame crack issues, which were related to the Light Frame. But yours should have been fixed, I know Suzuki had a recall and fix out for the year in question. But, as it's 10 years old now, and you say it's in good shape, I wouldn't worry about that part. Mainly I would be concern about the Brakes, pads, shocks and forks. Forks mainly (you might know the seller so this might not matter) because if the owner has been wheelie-ing the thing (extended swing arm might mean he's been drag racing the bike and then you need alot more to look at) , it's a sure bet the forks are done for. With 9K on the bike, a good Gold Valve job would be a good choice, along with stainless brake lines. Not many miles for a 10 yr old bike.

Remember some ride hard, and some baby care their bikes and will go forever while looking Brand New.

When you actually see the bike and can talk to the seller, you should be able to get the history. Which would seal or break the deal for me :beerchug:

Welcome to the oRg, I would like to advise you, but my knowledge is limited. Good luck with your decision, however, 9k on a 10 year old bike is not much mileage.

The mileage is great, but i would be weary of buying a 10 year old bike from somebody i didnt know. Welcome to the board and good luck with your decision.

Welcome!

:welcome:

Good luck. Trust your instincts if you have had lots of bikes before.
Test drive it and look it over and you should be OK.
99 was a good year too.

:welcome:to the Org. The frame issues I think you're speaking of is the sub frame they were aluminum. They're a lot of other improvements that were done also. ECU, Brakes, Suspension, Etc.

From Suzuki + Haynes manuals:

1999 (GSX1300R-X) - 1st model year.

2000 (GSX1300R-Y):
- Crankcase breather arrangement changed - no oil catch tank + larger breather housing; resulting in a smaller oil capacity.
-Clutch spring length + spring support bolt length increased.
- Fuel feed + return hoses changed + re-routed. Design of fuel level sensor + low level warning switch changed.

2001 (GSX1300R-K1):
- Cam chain tensioner design changed along with its housing to allow reception of oil from the front passage in the crankcase.
- Fuel pump moved inside the tank, incorporating the fuel filter and pressure regulator as well as a mesh strainer and a new fuel level sensor and low level warning switch. Having the pressure regulator inside the tank eliminated the need of the fuel return hose from the delivery rail on the throttle bodies, with the consequence being that the supply hose and fuel delivery rail arrangement was changed.

2002 (GSX1300R-K2):
- Clutch plate arrangement modified to incorporate an anti-rattle spring and spring seat. Clutch release cylinder piston and bore were reduced in diameter.
- Exhaust system incorporates an oxygen sensor which communicated with the ECM to reduce emission levels. To do this, the PAIR system control valve is triggered by a solenoid that is controlled by the ECM.

2003 (GSX1300R-K3):
- Incorporated a torque limiter on the motor idle/reduction gear train to dampen initial torque and reduce stress on individual components.

2004 (GSX1300R-K4):
- No significant changes.

2005 (GSX1300R-K5):
- Headlight electronically turned off during engine start to reduce battery load.
- First year of clear plastic front turn signals.

2006 (GSX1300R-K6):
- No significant changes.

cheers
ken

Thanks for the welcome and a lot of info....I know if I ride it I'll love it.. I'm 6'1' with a 36" inseam and it's the only sportbike I'm comfortable on (thats a good thing). I had a GPZ 750 Turbo I bought new in 84 and loved it but always wanted to go faster...enter Hayabusa.
Thanks again and I'll keep you all "posted"...

Back