New Guy From Denver Shopping...

Mochi

Registered
Evening folks,
I'm new around here, plan on buying my first Busa in the next 72 hours or so. I've been riding for a number of years (6 or 7) on various different bikes from a Ninja- EX500 up to, and crossing over to a Shadow VT100 with various sizes and styles in between. I've always been in love with the Busa's curves and the almost natural crossover between sport and touring. I'm not an extremely long distance rider so the Hayabusa works in favor of short adventures into the mountains. I also love the fact that its a rather rare bike that I dont see the "crotch rocket boys" hanging out with downtown. So, I'm pretty comfortable with the fact that its an adult toy and should be respected.

I've already found some great advice here, like the kickstand mod, and I'd like your opinions. In the area there are a few for sale, used of course but in relatively good condition. I'm narrowing my choices to the three I want to go and test ride:

A 2006 with 6k miles on it no mods or upgrades listed. Listed as "mint condition"
A 2005 with no milage listed but still with one year left on a warranty
A 2000 with 15k miles, rear sprocket, powder coated wheels, DB windshield, PC, and Yosh pipes.

Now all of them are red (I've seen posts where black is the deciding factor ) and I'm really looking for the things I should be wary of for the years. Also, anything you guys and gals might look for in terms of warning signs. The 15k miles doesn't really bother me my Shadow had 40k on her when all was said and done and ran like a champ minus a small oil leak that an un-qualified mechanic caused. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

:welcome: aboard!
The busa is a great bike, it has the power, looks and comfort all over, dont get it wrong, its great on long distance rides, many members here ride 1000's miles frequently. You might want to look into a gen II, couple of upgrades. Good luck on your search.

All those bikes,are basically the same but the 2000 does not have a factory speed restrictor..but that can be changed..

I would probably leave the 2000 alone. The bike is over ten years old. EVERYTHING on that bike is ten years old. Unless its cheap ($3000/$3500) I would leave it alone.

They did make a cranberry in '06. Great looking bike, mine was black :whistle: '06 was as good as the Gen I got. The 2000 is unrestricted but there were several recalls I believe. The ECU is different. Throw some prices up. Kickstand mod = don't drink and ride, park the bike in gear, park on level surfaces or at least park with the butt and or kickstand downhill, add your own ........

:welcome: to the oRg

If the 3 bikes are in the $5-$6K range, then as Hayabusa4life above hinted at......thrown in an extra $2K and you're in Gen II territory. P.S. Buy the NEWEST bike you can afford so my vote goes to the 06.

Thanks for the advice guys. I didn't post pricing as they range from 4-6k. I don't like the way the gen II's rear faring looks. It's, IMHO, not as slick. I'm leaning toward the 05 just based on price, $4,000, but have always liked the 06 because it's been a trend that the end of a model line or the year before they begin to change is when they get it all right. The 00 worries me a bit because it's modded, with all of the things I plan on doing, and it's a Craigslist post so I don't know the mind set of the owner. I'll gauge that this afternoon or tomorrow morning when I go for my inspection.

Welcome! I'd get the 2006, learn the busa weight, handling, power....then upgrade to the G2 when ready (after 50k miles or so).

I don't like the way the gen II's rear faring looks. It's, IMHO, not as slick.

Reminds me of how I felt when the Gen II first came out....that azz end is FUGG-LEEE! But here I am now on my 2nd Gen II (yup, I slowly learned to like that henie). Best of luck with your search...take your time and get the bike that really "MOVES" you :thumbsup:

Second Gear is an issuse with some of the gen I bikes. Do a search so you can learn all about it as it cost a few g's to undercut 2nd gear to fix it.
Welcome to the org.......FYI, Gen II's rock! :welcome:

depending on the mileage vs cost between the 05 and o6 i would do the 05. the only difference between the two is the color scheme.

might want to check into the service history on the bikes also. make sure they've been properly maintained with quality products.

Kinda off-thread, but the same Mochi from the Sabre forum? Same name, location, and a reference to a VT1100 so I had to ask. :)

Back