Much needed advice

czbusa

Registered
I've been riding on/off for a year. Mostly EX500s, SV650s, and Small aprillia cafe racers. I decided I wanted something that qualified as a cruiser. I didn't want some 300lb 150hp bike. I wanted something that was a bit heavier, but had the power needed. Granted I'm not an expert rider by any means, but I have a respect for the bike and a healthy fear of it as well..

Long story short... I was on ebay the other night and there was a 2000 bank repo Busa that is in great condition so I put a low bid on it and got super lucky and won it at a low reserve price.

I was pre-approved to purchase a bike and it's been nearly 6 months since I've been on one. Everyone says I'm going to kill myself, I keep telling them that I'm respectful/fearful of the machines, that's what keeps me alive.

I intend to take my MSF course to break any bad habits I may have. I've sat on a Busa but have yet to ride one.

Does anyone have any suggestions besides the obvious negative "You're too inexperienced for a busa, etc etc etc"...

I'd really like some insight from some riders..

More about me:
I'm approaching 30, 5'10 220lbs, very strong, good driving record, don't speed/etc and pretty good reflex wise.

Any advice/pointers/encouragement is appreciated.

Busa isn't really your everyday bike to ride in my opinion unless you have alot of riding behind you and have good bike skills. It really doesn't matter what you ride is it is how good you are on a bike. The busa is definately alot of power, so the best advice I could offer or suggest is if you indeed get one, take time to learn about the bike, how it handles and how well you can adapt to such a awesome bike. I have learned that I cannot tame this bike only ride it so with that good luck and keep the wheels up...
biggrin.gif

whats up im in houston too
but i ride, and usually live, in galveston. houston has waaay too much traffic, bad drivers, and cops. also theyre considering speeding cams. you may or may not be able to beat a ticket in houston, in galvez you can with $. try not to ride the fwy too much if you can help it.
lotsa ppl here pull out in front of you. cover that front brake always. one finger'll do it.

whats up im in houston too
but i ride, and usually live, in galveston. houston has waaay too much traffic, bad drivers, and cops. also theyre considering speeding cams. you may or may not be able to beat a ticket in houston, in galvez you can with $. try not to ride the fwy too much if you can help it.
lotsa ppl here pull out in front of you. cover that front brake always. one finger'll do it.
Hey there. Thanks for the 411. I'm familiar with Houston and I live in Galleria area, so I'm doing my best to ride on some suburb streets till I get more comfortable. I'm still waiting on the paperwork/etc, but here's a pic of the bike in all of it's 2000 glory LOL

4b_12.JPG

well take the course then take the advanced course but your right you need to find an injected bike to get used to for awhile cause injection is a whole new ball game but you know i never owned an injection bike i just borrowed freinds and seen how it was i rode my zx9r for 4 years and got used to it then i bought my busa...i am younger(25) and i know it but it is how much you respect it once you dont show the respect is when you get in trouble.

Busa isn't really your everyday bike to ride in my opinion unless you have alot of riding behind you and have good bike skills. It really doesn't matter what you ride is it is how good you are on a bike. The busa is definately alot of power, so the best advice I could offer or suggest is if you indeed get one, take time to learn about the bike, how it handles and how well you can adapt to such a awesome bike. I have learned that I cannot tame this bike only ride it so with that good luck and keep the wheels up...
biggrin.gif
I agree with you, however I've always wanted one and I just happened upon one that was low in cost and in good shape. I'll be totally honest as much as I want one, this thing is probably going to scare the he11 out of me. I definately plan getting my MSF course done (basic and advanced), and getting plenty of low traffic street time in the neighborhoods so I'm comfortable.

Houston is probably the worst place to get a motorcycle due to the idiot cagers on their cell phones with 10 kids in the car, but at the same time, what's life if not to have (responsible) fun with.

you can ride the busa like a grandmother from Pasadena if you want to; it's not gonna do anything you don't tell it to do.

It's really more about your own self control, 'cause it's real easy to get stupid on any sportbike - a Busa will just get you to "stupid" a lot faster.

ride like a granny will get you run over here, especially on the fwy.
i was doin like 75 on i45 off to the right of the lane.
idiot old man decides to split my lane. i coulda reached out and scraped his car with my hand.
ride too slow get run over
too fast get ticks and lose license.
theres a reason we got nearly highest ins. rates

ride like a granny will get you run over here, especially on the fwy.
i was doin like 75 on i45 off to the right of the lane.
idiot old man decides to split my lane. i coulda reached out and scraped his car with my hand.
ride too slow get run over
too fast get ticks and lose license.
theres a reason we got nearly highest ins. rates
Well like I said.. I don't plan to ride this thing fast anytime soon once I get it. I have only hit 90 one time on an SV, and going that fast shook me up a bit. I plan to cruise westheimer on this thing and just do local commutes for fun and enjoyment and get the practice down before I start gunning it on the freeways.

Welcome , you'll be OK, just take one thing at a time and be smooth and slow with the right wrist. Just remember it want bite you if your careful  
beerchug.gif

welcome! this was my first busa, but i've owned a zx-11 prior and have had many sizes and types,dirt & street, since i was a kid. take your time like others are saying. get to know the throttle, fuel inj. is touchie. all bikes, from 125 dirtbikes to 1300 street all need to be treated respectfully. like i tell my kids about their bikes "you dont own the bike, the bike owns you".

Back