my road rage incident

Ken02busa

Donating Member
Registered
I was driving to Calgary today, (Central Alberta) and everything was about normal, the odd bobohead speeding, tailgating, cutting off when no one ahead of him, but not too bad.

I got just north of Red Deer, and saw a Semi coming off a ramp on to the highway, followed by a little gold chevy. I moved to the left lane, giving him ample room. I was doing 110 kph, the speed limit. I saw the little gold car coming in the right lane, where he cut in between the semi and I. I was about 10' from his rear tires, no chance in hell the guy in the car didnt see me. All of a sudden, the guy in the car cut in between the semi and me, IN MY LANE. I slammed the brakes, had nowhere to go, had to take the ditch or wipe out the car. If it had happened 1000 yards back, I would have hit a concrete pillar, a few yards ahead I would have went off a bridge. In any case, dangerous as hell.

I was able to regain control, the dually f350 is a wonderful truck, started blinking the driving lights and 4 ways, and got the guy to pull over. I pulled in front of him, stopped him on the right side and bailed out of the truck. Since there was absolutely no room to get out and talk to him on the driver side, I went to the passenger side, and noticed the sunroof was wide open.

Bear in mind, I am 6'6, 340, short 'almost' cop cut hair, black biker shirt on and veins throbbing everywhere. This kid looked nervous.

When I walked up to the car, my beltline was at the sunroof. He had to look up a long way. I leaned into the sunroof, and gave him the riot act. He almost immediately went to tears, damn little 20 yr old kid, but held his ground and didnt get out, didnt get lippy, didnt even acknowledge that he almost killed me.

I told him that I was 25 year fire fighter / Rescue, and that I had pulled dead people from vehicles for situations just like this. I saw a little smirk come over his face, and lost it a little, told him that one f***ing word and I would pull him out of the car by his lips. He then teared up again, started apologizing, saying he was going to be more careful, would never put anyone in this situation again, blah blah blah. I think he pissed himself, he was looking very young, very scared.

I was trying to decide if I should pull him out by his eyelids and give him a little bit of a scare like he put me through, or just flip the car over, but decided to stay out of jail.

I didn't have to pull a gun, didnt need a baseball bat, but guys, how much of this can a guy take? Had I been out of the cage today and on the Busa when the little chit did this, my wife would likely have been writing this.

Next week I am doing a 3000 km trip on the Busa. I am happy I practise defensive driving daily, but wow talk about getting the heart pounding.

Where some of you guys live, would there be a chance of guns being pulled? That's one of my biggest fears.

(Ken02busa @ Jun. 05 2007,01:06) Where some of you guys live, would there be a chance of guns being pulled? That's one of my biggest fears.
guns.gif
There is a good chance. You just have to use some street smarts before you do anything like that around here.

I guess I should say that I am never 'without defense'. I always have a CQC 7" in my pocket, was a bouncer for 12+ years and took karate privately with one of the instructors from Cold Lake Army base. I can handle myself. I have never heard of anyone pulling a gun on someone on a highway in Calgary, but sure dont want to be the first to see it either.

My ass is still frosted. grrrrr
guns.gif
guns.gif
guns.gif
guns.gif
guns.gif
guns.gif
guns.gif
bobohead drivers

guns.gif

guns.gif

guns.gif

guns.gif

guns.gif

guns.gif

Wow I would think twice about doing something like that here in Los Angeles. You never know what kind of crazy your rolling up on. Seem's like every other kid out here has a gun and are ever too willing to use it. I guess you have to use your better judgement.....

(hayadooin @ Jun. 05 2007,09:12) Wow I would think twice about doing something like that here in Los Angeles. You never know what kind of crazy your rolling up on. Seem's like every other kid out here has a gun and are ever too willing to use it. I guess you have to use your better judgement.....
This is true of SoCal in general, to many crazy people...period. If you get out of your car you are apt to get shot then run over.

God created man, Sam Colt amde them equal. Everyone in Alaska has a gun and the right to carry it. Not a lot of road rage up here but also I think everyone treats each other with a little more respect than this kid treated you, due to the fact that we are pretty sure everyone is carrying.

Hey, I'm just glad no one was hurt and it sounds like you got your point across
smile.gif

Its sad that people do this everyday. you try and confront them they pull a gun. its almost as bad as a thief hurting himself on your bike while trying to steal it then suing you for the injuries.
guns.gif

A kid just about ran me over two years ago on the Busa. I was making a left turn onto the street I lived on, when I saw him coming. There was too much on coming trafic to turn and he was rolling about 85 in a 35. I pulled onto the double yellow stripe and he ran onto the berm to avoid hitting me. I then ran him down. He pulled into the next area large enough for the car and bike to fit into at a safe distance. My thoughts were "this kid has got some big balls". Before I could get off the bike he was appologizing and just short of balling his eyes out. (I'm just a little guy at 6' 235. I've had a wee bit of training since I was 18, and I know the human body fairly well.) He kept saying he was sorry and he didn't see me untill the last minute. I kept my cool and told him, next time he might not run into some one as nice as I am going to be this time. And if he did it again, I'd make sure he ate his meals through a tube for the rest of his life.

Lets just hope for these kids, it was lessons learned.

In southern IL, there are only a few that carry. When I know I'm going to MO, or out of state in general, I allways have mine with me.

Later,

Steve

You would have never got the kid to pull over just by flashing your lights. You would have had to cut him off, or follow him to his destination.

(pward76 @ Jun. 05 2007,13:41) You would have never got the kid to pull over just by flashing your lights. You would have had to cut him off, or follow him to his destination.
Are you saying it never happened the way I said, or no one where you live would pull over?

just to clarify, I was totally shocked when he pulled over too. If I was a kid in a little car and some huge guy in a dually was trying to get me too pull over, I would likely think twice......it's been so long ago that I was a kid I don't remember.......

Back