Must-have Droid apps

I'd say go for both types.

If it were for me, I'd want the technical stuff, RDP, Telnet, network analyzer-type stuff.

My kids fuss at me for not having games on my iPhone. LOL So, I've been looking for fun, FREE - iPhone games. I suspect that Michelle would do the same.

Question for those with Droids... I presume that they have a music player; load it up with a micro-SD card and use it as MP3 player. However, can it be plugged into a car stereo with a USB port and have the head unit play the songs?

Haven't tried it but it has a regular headphone jack (Motorola Droid).

Don

Haven't tried it but it has a regular headphone jack (Motorola Droid).

Don

Her car stereo has a USB input and will display the name/artist of the song, etc. She currently uses her MP3 player...I was just thinking that she may be able to use the DX instead.

I guess a better way of asking...when the Droid is plugged into your computer, does the Droid show up as a Drive? Are the MP3 files visible and manageable?

If it's basically a "USB Drive", then it should work...

My wife is getting me a Droid X for Christmas. :cheerleader:

NewEgg deal is free phone, free activation, and just $100 a month for unlimited talk, unlimited internet/downloads. Best deal we could find.

Have to re-read this thread when start to play with it. Will need to mount it on the Busa somehow.

The Droid has turned three tech items into one for me while motorcycling. Phone, MP3 player and GPS. The best app is the free google maps gps. You don't even need to mount it if you don't want to - You can listen to music, pick up a phone call and the gps voice directions momentarily interrupt the music so you don't even need to see the screen.

There's alot going on in my helmet these days - Love it...

The Droid is the first tech thing I've ever bought that has exceeded all my expectations. Just an outstanding gizmo...

Second best app is Sirius radio.

The Droid has turned three tech items into one for me while motorcycling. Phone, MP3 player and GPS. The best app is the free google maps gps. You don't even need to mount it if you don't want to - You can listen to music, pick up a phone call and the gps voice directions momentarily interrupt the music so you don't even need to see the screen.

There's alot going on in my helmet these days - Love it...

The Droid is the first tech thing I've ever bought that has exceeded all my expectations. Just an outstanding gizmo...

Second best app is Sirius radio.

If they could figure out how to incorporate a firearm I'd probably marry it!

My wife is getting me a Droid X for Christmas. :cheerleader:

NewEgg deal is free phone, free activation, and just $100 a month for unlimited talk, unlimited internet/downloads. Best deal we could find.

Have to re-read this thread when start to play with it. Will need to mount it on the Busa somehow.

Amazon has them too, 1 cent for the phone, 69.00 a month for unlimited and 30.00 all the data you can eat.

You better hurry though, the all you can eat is going away and they are going to a tiered plan like ATT anyone on the plan will be grandfathered I hear.

Glad I got in when I did. Heytell is awesome, have all my family set up now.

Make sure to install an App killer. Other you will have no battery life. Get it off the free market.

One suggestion i will toss out not app related, get the extended battery, absolutly worth it if you use the GPS alot and surf the internet etc...

As far as the task killers... for the droid x, they are junk and pointless... usefull back in the day on older models... they do nothing for the new droid X etc.... it's old hat, the only ones doing it on the new Droid X's are the ones who havent done the research and reading to find out its actually a bad thing now...

Next.... if your comfortable with it.... Root the phone...

Install wirless tether.... creates a wireless hotspot for free

google goggles

google translator

SHAZAM

barcode scanner

real scientific calculator (if you need that knida thing, i do)

Yelp!

Where (similar to yelp)

Last edited:
oh, a hilarious app - droid light. Download and try it out (freeness too...)

teslaLED, way brighter. you can morse code messages to someone else, provided they know morse code, lol. you can also root and overclock the X with one click. i'm running cyanogenmod 6.0 right now, works great. i'm honestly probably not going to F with it, i've improved function, looks, and battery life. loving my droid right now.

Make sure to install an App killer. Other you will have no battery life. Get it off the free market.

if you root it and install a low voltage kernel, you'll get much better battery life. the OS is designed to have stuff running all the time, so it's faster when you want to access your apps. app killers do more harm than good, imho, i got rid of mine once i rooted the phone.

Great suggestions.

Downloaded the
-Radar Now - resolution sucks, maybe I need to play with it
-GPS Speed Graph - like the altitude feature
-Screebl Lite - haven't figured this one out yet (wants me to upgrade)
-Code View has advertisements on it. Maybe best to pay the $1 for the non-ad version.

Listen to Pandora 19 hours a day so that's a must.

Half this thread is about ap killers and battery life.
Droid X uses Micro-USB & we sell that wire for the motorcycle.
Mini USB & Micro USB Cable Choices Powerlet Products | Pashnit Moto

PPC-015-SC_p_236_webl.jpg

How are you guys mounting this thing on the Busa?

Need to hop on Amazon and buy the screen protector thingy and some cheapy accessories for it.

PPC-015-SC_p_236_webl.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, here's another question. I saw some stuff for RSS feeds.

Can you RSS feed H.org posts into the Droid X in real time? (if that makes any sense)

Soon as someone hits send on a new post/thread, it feeds into the Droid X.

We don't process RSS feeds, we used to but stopped because there wasn't a lot of interest.

by the way rss feeds do work but it is a little slow on the droid.

Next task killers. If you ever listen to anything i ever say do not use a task killer on android devices. I am one of the original beta testers for google on the droids. It is bad bad bad. I dont care what you say it does for you its doesnt work and you will burn your phone. The original idea behind the atk was to shut down programs to speed up the droid. What ends up happening is you shut it down, the processor starts it back up, then the auto kill shuts it down and this keeps happening over and over. Your processor then is working at full speed all the time and you will burn your phone. Not to mention your batt life will be horrible. I garrantee you it wont be better no matter what you say. Its just not true. We have tested this on over 5000 droids and not one of them had better batt life with atks installed. I suggest you download a 1 button root and root your phone then instal a custome rom from droid forum such as ultimate droid 2.5, chevy ss4.9, bugless beast, or cyogen mod. You will freak at how fast your phone gets and how much better your batt life is. I get almost 2 days out of my batt over clocked at 1.25 gig. With my setcpu at 150-1250 on demand. Feel free to pm me if you need guidance or advise on rooting or droid in particular. Moto 1 mainly though i can get you answers for the dx and d2.

Forgot my list of must haves
1. setcpu-for root users
2. vampires live-game
3. zombies live-game
4. wordup-game
5. world war-game
6. pkt auction ebay-handy sped up for droid
7. speed view-same as mentioned above
8. palringo-chat service
9. handscent-sm/mms agent
10. imobster-game
11. droid forums-good forum for any droid owner
12. bubbles-for my 2 year old...touch screen makes bubbles
13. angry birds-addicting game
14. air control lite-another addicting game
15. oi file manager-like your file manager for computer

Last edited:
droid inc is a good phone as well,. i personally havent messed with it much but i have heard good things on it.

Back