iPhone Apps - What are your Faves/Must Haves?

You shouldnt have to run black rain but one time... then you can delete it..

According to all the guides, I would agree. However, when I rebooted mine, it was in recovery mode. I had to tether and run blackrain after EVERY reboot. I reran blackrain twice to no avail. I finally gave up and restored.

Which version of iPhone do you have and which blackrain version did you run? I have 3Gs and ran RC3

How do I get it so I don't have to run blackrain after every reboot??

Depending on when your iPhone was made (check serial number) you probally have a tethered jailbreak, and as far as I know there is no fix for it yet. My iPhone has the same problem; I have to run blackrain everytime the phone has a reboot ie battery dies or phone is powered off. Make sure you are not caught in a situation where blackrain is not available if your iphone loses power. I think GOOGLE may have the serial numbers that are affected... I know mine is!

I have 3GS, I used BR RC 3 too... Just like clockwork.... Then I installed Sn0w then the tether app.... set it up with Vista and VIOLA

So after all this talking about jailbreaking and blackrain are you still using AT&T as the carrier ?
Does jailbreaking allow me to take my phone and number to another carrier ?

So after all this talking about jailbreaking and blackrain are you still using AT&T as the carrier ?
Does jailbreaking allow me to take my phone and number to another carrier ?

Jailbreaking lets you run more apps - those that Apple doesn't/won't allow in the App Store...plus you can do a lot more.

UNLOCKING will let you use the phone with a different carrier.

You need to jailbreak before you can unlock.

Depending on when your iPhone was made (check serial number) you probally have a tethered jailbreak, and as far as I know there is no fix for it yet. My iPhone has the same problem; I have to run blackrain everytime the phone has a reboot ie battery dies or phone is powered off. Make sure you are not caught in a situation where blackrain is not available if your iphone loses power. I think GOOGLE may have the serial numbers that are affected... I know mine is!

Yep - that's what it is. It was manufactured in week 47. iBoot version is 359.3.2 :banghead:

Can't do an untethered jailbreak ::9

Will it then be just as any other and able to be activated by say metro or boost even . The cheaper the better .
Also on a diff carrier will it still be 3g ?

You mean you cant take it off the cable?

Kinda - I have to re-tether whenever the phone is rebooted and re-run blackrain. Then the phone will work...until the next reboot...and then I have to re-tether.

I've learned that there was a 24kb hole in the iBoot ROM that was taken advantage of...code was injected into that area to allow a jailbroken phone to boot on its own. All iBoot versions 359.3 and earlier have this hole. Beginning late last year...around week 37, Apple patched the hole...version 359.3.2 - the version that's on my device...manufactured in week 47. If you look at the 4th and 5th digits of your serial number, it will tell you the week of manufacture.

Anyway, I can jailbreak, but until the hackers figure out how to get around this, I have tether and run blackrain after every reboot.

I'll just wait because it's too much of a pain to keep doing that. :banghead:

Will it then be just as any other and able to be activated by say metro or boost even . The cheaper the better .
Also on a diff carrier will it still be 3g ?

That's how it should work. I've done that with many a Blackberry. I unlock all of mine at work because I have so many users traveling internationally. Rather than pay AT&T's high roaming rates, we get a SIM locally in the country of travel. They just pop it in the BB and away they go.

You may want to let some of the guys who have unlocked their iPhone chime in...they can tell you what you'll need beyond unlocking.

Kinda - I have to re-tether whenever the phone is rebooted and re-run blackrain. Then the phone will work...until the next reboot...and then I have to re-tether.

I've learned that there was a 24kb hole in the iBoot ROM that was taken advantage of...code was injected into that area to allow a jailbroken phone to boot on its own. All iBoot versions 359.3 and earlier have this hole. Beginning late last year...around week 37, Apple patched the hole...version 359.3.2 - the version that's on my device...manufactured in week 47. If you look at the 4th and 5th digits of your serial number, it will tell you the week of manufacture.

Anyway, I can jailbreak, but until the hackers figure out how to get around this, I have tether and run blackrain after every reboot.

I'll just wait because it's too much of a pain to keep doing that. :banghead:

Yeah that could stink if you got caught out and the battery ran down or the phone locked up... Too much potential hassle...

Yeah that could stink if you got caught out and the battery ran down or the phone locked up... Too much potential hassle...

Yep....

There is one device at work that *may* be good. I may have to see if I can get my hands on it and swap it out. LOL

Wow Omar you really are a techy!!! Yall lost me after you said jailbreak!!!:laugh: But keep the info coming. I might actually learn how to do other stuff with the iPhone besides, make a call and facebook!! :thumbsup:

Since when did Verizon start using SIM cards in their CMDA phones? You can't put a SIM in the iPhone that doesn't exist.

Oh, yes there is a SIM.....

Recall, now I understand, you mean there wasn't a SIM in the Verizon CDMA phone, for which I have no experience.

Last edited:
Not an APP but more like a useful function; MUSIC CONTROLS. I got it from Cydia ($4.99 with a five day free trail period) and it is pretty cool!! It allows you to control the music from several music based apps like iPod, Pandora, Rhapsody, Yahoo... . You can gain access while inside a different app by quickly tapping the home button twice; the controls will pop up and allow you to change the track without ever leaving the app you are in!:thumbsup:

I believe the ACTIVATOR add on has to be installed to get the full effect of music controls. I am not sure if the APP store has a music controls program or not.

Last edited:
Oh, yes there is a SIM.....

Recall, now I understand, you mean there wasn't a SIM in the Verizon CDMA phone, for which I have no experience.

Since CDMA is only widely used in North America (and very few other countries), Verizon and Sprint (the two big carriers that use CDMA) were taking hits from those who needed to travel internationally. My company, for example, switched away from Sprint (and Sprint is in our backyard. Sprint world headquarters are about 1.5 miles from us) to AT&T because of their global capability. Virtually every carrier/country supports GSM.

Verizon is partnered with Vodafone and uses their SIMs in their "World" phones. The devices have both CDMA and GSM radios in them; ESN for the CDMA side and a Vodafone SIM for the GSM.

Last edited:
Back