iPhone Apps - What are your Faves/Must Haves?

omslaw

Michelle owns my Busa
Staff member
Administrator
I was just given an iPhone for work... I've had it for about 2 weeks now and still trying to get used to it (I miss my Blackberry LOL )

What are some Apps that y'all like to use? What are the features/benefits?

Chime in listing the name of the app(s) and a little "review" of it/them.

I'm still getting used to it and only have a few:

iHandy Level
- well as the name implies, it turns the iPhone into a level. Pretty neat; good conversation piece. LOL

Citrix Receiver
- For you business folks, if your company uses Citrix, this app will let you run your Citrix Apps on your iPhone. Very cool and very handy.

Facebook
- FB app for the iPhone

Couple apps from local TV stations for news/weather/sports, etc.

That's about all I have right now. I do have Google Voice and Google Talk, but they're not 'Apps' - they are Web-based, so I just bookmark 'em to the home screen. Oh, and of course the .oRg is there :thumbsup:

Well, you can't go without this.

ibeer.jpg

I just have the Touch, which is essentially the same thing, sans the phone. But I'll be honest, I prefer to keep it simple.

Google App
Convert Units
Birthdays
Days Until
Flashlight
Theme Clock
Shazam
Units
Dish
RDP
Shop Shop
Subnet Calc
Who Called
Whois
Isnitch
ISSH
Net Utility
Ping
Scany
Inet
Strip Lite
XM Online
State Farm
Word Warp
College FB
Ragdoll Blast
Iweathr

Okay, here is my list of must have apps. None of them were must haves before I got them but once I got them I don't know how I survived with out them. :laugh:

AccuFuel - Keeps Track of my MPG for all my vehicles

GasBuddy - Finds the cheapest gas station based on GPS location

Grocery IQ - Allows me to scan a bar code of a grocery store item and it will add that product to the list. I use this when I run out of something so I remember to get it the next time I'm out

RedLaser - Scans a barcode of any product and does a google product search so I can get the lowest price available.

Lose It! - A calorie counter app so I can watch my food intake which helped me loose 50 pounds in one year.

Fixster - A program to find the nearest theater based off my GPS location. It also tells me what movies they have and allows me to watch any movie preview from the app.

Scorecenter - ESPN app to keep track of my favorite teams.

That's the ones I use everyday now. :thumbsup:

I stay mostly with the Free Apps. I manage 15 other iPhone users besides mine, and I loaded a few free apps on all their phones. My favorites:

Around Me: Checks with your GPS and your location, sections for Gas stations, hotels, coffee shops, etc., lists them from your location by distance; click on one gives you phone number, website and links to moving map direction to the place you select.

Weather Channel: Free moving map weather display to include drill-down; forecasts

Whitepages: Find people, businesses by name or reverse phone with map

Bank of America or other bank of choice: Online Banking. Transfer funds, online billpay.

Ebay mobile

Amazon mobile

Google Earth

Mark the Spot: An ATT app that helps them find dead space. Start the app and list what went wrong and it will send ATT the info. Helps them improve their network (what a great idea, enlist users to help find dead spots).

CheckPlease: Calculates Tip, Percentages/Split/totals. Great for business lunch.

Paypal Lite

UPS: Track Packages

and one game: Parapaniclite: A parachute game (of course!)

There is a cool guitar app out there (for $9) that can change your phone into an electronic tuner, has all the notes mapped out, etc. Supposedly one of the most popular apps on Itunes.

Cap, please go back and edit your post and explain what the app does..i'm curious.

Last edited:
Might I recommend the "Please and kindly shove that iPhone up your rear when you're with me!" app? :rofl:

:please:

If It would only run Flash and Java. I need a Java enabled browser then I could connect directly to my mainframe (AS400) at work. Would be great for a salesman he could log on get instant inventory and pricing info. Could even print an order for a location and send it directly to their printer. Any geeks out there (CAP) that finds a way for Java to work in the browser I'd REALLY like to know. There is a 5150 emulator out there, but it would be too unsecure to use it when I have a Java based DMZ (for want of a better explanation) running now...connects via Java and SSL.

Oh, c'mon baby...don't hold back :laugh:

:lol:

OK, thread-jacking over...Omar knows I truly hate and fight technology, and I'm in the IT field as he is :laugh: Having said that, the iPhone does look cool, and I'm sure if I had one and were really bored, I'd be loading it with every app I could find :p

Pandora (favorite app) - free music based on a song / artist you pick
WunderRadio - stream radio stations world wide. I think it was $6, but worth it.
Doom - A must have if you like the PC game
Funny Pics - Random, funny pictures, about 10 new ones a day
Shotgun Free - Fun when you get a bunch of people together shooting at each other
Iwiki - Wikipedeia in your pocket
eBay - a must have if you buy/sell on eBay
Peggle - fun way to kill an hour or 2, like PLINKO from TPiR

I use the level app once in a while, too. You would never realize it, but a level comes in handy more often than you'd think.

If It would only run Flash and Java. I need a Java enabled browser then I could connect directly to my mainframe (AS400) at work. Would be great for a salesman he could log on get instant inventory and pricing info. Could even print an order for a location and send it directly to their printer. Any geeks out there (CAP) that finds a way for Java to work in the browser I'd REALLY like to know. There is a 5150 emulator out there, but it would be too unsecure to use it when I have a Java based DMZ (for want of a better explanation) running now...connects via Java and SSL.

My company is developing an app that will work with our software that will do what you're wanting - the real-time inventory, order-entry, etc....

Our software interfaces with all major ERP packages and actually will integrate with just about anything.

I haven't found any luck on the Java side. That's why I'm stoked with Citrix Receiver... Plus I can manage my network from the iPhone now. Pretty handy.

I use the Weather Channel -live flowing radar
Cyclemeter-really neat app that tracks your routes with mph every mile shown as well as google map of your ride
Scanner911-free totally cool app that let's you hear live police radios from all over US. Vegas and LA being the hot ones.
2 diff currency converters for when I travel
Google Earth-obvious
Speed-very simple free speedometer
Justlight-simple white screen for low ambient light to find stuff
Goldchart-constant updating buy/sell gold site(fluctuates by as much as 50 bucks a day sometimes)

Good stuff! Keep 'em coming! I've managed to add two pages to my home screen! Some really useful apps out there!:cheerleader:

Back