Low Beam No Power

Down1Undah

Registered
Gen 1 2006
I will get straight to the point here with the issue I am having -
Low beam I believe is not receiving power
The female connection for the bulb pins does not seem to have any power when tested via test light
Fuse checked and good, bulb checked and tested, also good
High beam also works just fine
- Im guessing there might be an open ground but I would like to hear what everyone else thinks on this ! Any and all thoughts and questions for me is appreciated greatly and I will be checking and responding as frequently as I can (First post by the way !)

does the low come on with hi beam ??

theres a fuse for the low beam and 1 for hi low is the second 1 from the gas tank.
1st 1 is a spare

Lo beam bulb should be activated when starting up. The hi beam comes on by switch only and stays lit with the lo beam still on. I’m on my third lo beam bulb since 2006. Never replaced the hi beam. Of course my bike is perfect so… :cool: :D

Update 1- using a voltmeter, tested the female terminal/connector that goes to the bulb plug and found it reads about 12 volts same as the battery when KOEO, but when the bulb is introduced to the system it reads 0v but does not light up, any help as to why this is would be is very appreciated!

Yellow connector under left dash panel, check and see if the power is in that connector

It may be melted in the connector

Are you talking about this connector ?

image.jpg

correct
That is the left hand switch, it sould have power in and out for the low beam in it

Update 2- Believe I figured it out ! The connector in the picture when moved around, makes the light turn on. Will be disconnecting, cleaning, and inspecting the plastic and wires to ensure a proper connection is always there. Once everything is done and I test ride will be sure to inform you all that it is complete

image.jpg

You can definitely see dirt along the wires, so probably has migrated inside the connector. A good cleaning should help to resolve the issue.

Just a helpful hint when dealing with electrics . . .
When diagnosing a fault like this, be sure to check all switches, relays, connectors.
Faults such as this are usually a problem in the connector blocks, connections are the very first things to check.
Get a wiring diagram and trace the circuit you are working on . .
Always work methodically back thru the circuit, you will eventually find the culprit, and thanks to @GIXERHP you got a heads up from a guy with a lot of experience (obviously lol)
Suzuki don't use weather tight sealed connectors, I have also experienced similar issue as you have there.
Great that you found the cause, but look at the dirt on the wiring connector and wires!
Keeping it all clean always helps too.
Kiwi over and out.

Last edited:
Just a helpful hint when dealing with electrics . . .
When diagnosing a fault like this, be sure to check all switches, relays, connectors.
Faults such as this are usually a problem in the connector blocks, connections are the very first things to check.
Get a wiring diagram and trace the circuit you are working on . .
Always work methodically back thru the circuit, you will eventually find the culprit, and thanks to @GIXERHP you got a heads up from a guy with a lot of experience (obviously lol)
Suzuki don't use weather tight sealed connectors, I have also experienced similar issue as you have there.
Great that you found the cause, but look at the dirt on the wiring connector and wires!
Keeping it all clean always helps too.
Kiwi over and out.
I appreciate the feedback! Could not agree more with those hints, the wiring diagram helped me so much! I just got done riding it, headlight works but it cuts in and out sometimes, I ordered a 6 pin female and male connection kit, will be replacing the connector that I found to be the culprit. Seems like vibrations caused it to rattle around and combined with grime caused power to cut out, for now I have electrical tape pushing down on the wire for the low beam for a temporary solution until I get the new connectors and pins.

Back