Low Beam keeps blowing

mhartiga

Registered
I have a 2002 Hayabusa I just purchased 4600 miles . Previous owner says the low beam had to be replaced a few times. I replaced the bulb and battery last Saturday rode the bike once and the low beam popped. I multimeter on the battery the voltage stayed consistent at 13.8 at 5000 rpm with lights blinkers, switching from high beam to low beam it jumped around but never above 14.0 or below 13.0. At idle it would intermittently spike to 16.5 – 17.00 volts for a few seconds. Is this my problem? Any recommendations on replacement Parts? Voltage regulator? Any options or factory only?

I replaced the voltage regulator with one from Ricks and a new bulb. Seems to have fixed the problem. I have 100 miles on it now with the same bulb. SO if you see your meter spike at the bulb socket you may have the same problem,

I replaced the voltage regulator with one from Ricks and a new bulb. Seems to have fixed the problem. I have 100 miles on it now with the same bulb. SO if you see your meter spike at the bulb socket you may have the same problem,
Yep, voltage reg is the first port of call with this sort of problem.
You solved your own problem, well done sir!

I just changed my third low beam bulb but considering the time and mileage is that pretty much the norm?
Trick question?
My mate's GSXR1100J recently blew several tail lamp bulbs, I tested his charging system for any irregularities i.e voltage spikes and found nothing strange going on.
These old slabsides are known for blowing tail lamp bulbs so I put it down to old and worn lamp rubber mounts causing the knocks and thumps of suspension work to physically shattering the bulb filament.
Anyway, I suddenly had a 'eureka moment'...... would a led bulb be more robust and keep working?
I mentioned this theory to him and he went to Repco and he asked for a led stop/tail bulb for his bike. The guy at the counter told him there was none available and he did not think they were ever available.
Idiot! Of course they are available, he just never bothered inquiring on behalf of my mate.
So I ordered a couple of led 12v stop/tail bulbs from China,
1526379365404.png
waited ages for delivery, and installed one in his tail lamp.
He's ridden 8000kms since then with NO problem, the bulb still works!!
Case closed.
That leads me to wonder if a lot of the time the bulbs stop working due to vibration, NOT power surges or spikes.
That's the other side of the coin! An often overlooked possibility.

Last edited:
You read my mind. I was going to see if I could find a LED if changing the Voltage regulator did not fix the problem. But I was conferenced because I did see a voltage spike at idle. And was wondering what that spike might take out next. At $20.00 dollars a bulb it can get expensive and equal the cost of the voltage regulator quickly.

Back