no headlights

ezbusa

Registered
Help..

has anyone ever had or know what might cause the head lights not work? I checked the fuses, pulled both light bulbs (they were good )and checked power at the connection.. all good. Turn signals work, so does horn.

I have checked all the harness connectors and the ground wires. all seems good

Any ideas???

2006 Busa

Introduction

+

Voltage showing right where the wires clip on to the bulbs? Really?
Juice at both bulb/wire connections...shi7, I think ya got me.
If there is juice there,in theory all it could be is the bulbs.

Rubb.

Carefully inspect the bulb and the socket. Logically, the connection is not good. Anyone coat all of this with a dielectric grease? Clean with alcohol / swab / etc. and try again.

Test for unlikely open circuit/short: With no bulbs turn the ignition to the ON position. Measure the voltage at the battery. Now insert the bulbs. Turn the ignition on and measure the voltage at the battery. Is it the same? Did the voltage plummet?

Carefully inspect the bulb and the socket. Logically, the connection is not good. Anyone coat all of this with a dielectric grease? Clean with alcohol / swab / etc. and try again.

Test for unlikely open circuit/short: With no bulbs turn the ignition to the ON position. Measure the voltage at the battery. Now insert the bulbs. Turn the ignition on and measure the voltage at the battery. Is it the same? Did the voltage plummet?
I will try that next

What else could it be eh H.W.

Rubb.

There may be the correct voltage at the socket but when the bulbs are inserted and current starts to flow, a connection heats up excessively and cuts out. (It could be the socket connection doing this, which a cleaning could cure.) The bike is the perfect age for this to happen. How about cleaning the headlight switch? I presume there is a power relay (RSD?) and that there is a test method in the manual? I now think one of these is intermittent. Do you have a factory service manual? It likely has a routine to go through.

I have checked all the harness connectors and the ground wires. all seems good

There is checking that they are tight and have not vibrated apart, and also undoing them and cleaning them if they are corroded. (I am not clear from your post on what you may have performed.)

Last edited:
There may be the correct voltage at the socket but when the bulbs are inserted and current starts to flow, a connection heats up excessively and cuts out. (It could be the socket connection doing this, which a cleaning could cure.) The bike is the perfect age for this to happen. How about cleaning the headlight switch? I presume there is a power relay (RSD?) and that there is a test method in the manual? I now think one of these is intermittent. Do you have a factory service manual? It likely has a routine to go through.

There is checking that they are tight and have not vibrated apart, and also undoing them and cleaning them if they are corroded. (I am not clear from your post on what you may have performed.)
I have checked all connections for corrosion they didnt appear to show any . I will pick up some contact cleaner and give that a try.
no I dont have a factory service manual but will see if I can find the info

H.W. I thought there was one aswell,I have not been under a Busa dash in a while.
Wiring diagram does not show one thou,unless another relay does double duty but I would doubt that.
Rubb.

the thing that gets me is they both went out at the same time .. thinking it might be one of the switches maybe?
If the ignition is on and there is power present at the socket then a switch problem would be not be the issue.Power to the headlight is interrupted during starting to allow more juice to the starter,but we are focusing on the simpler equation...

If the ignition is on and there is power present at the socket then a switch problem would be not be the issue.Power to the headlight is interrupted during starting to allow more juice to the starter,but we are focusing on the simpler equation...
well I will get some contact cleaner.. everything else seems to be ok

Back