Liter's Bailed

I'm glad you guys had a good ride.

I'm shocked that the guy on the Kawi joined again. Wasn't he on one of our last rides and commented on the pace being more than he expected?? Seemed like a decent guy though.

Met for a group ride this morning. TxBusa05LE and I only one's representing the clan. Had one repeat guest (Kawasaki) and 3 of his buddy's on liters. Thought to myself as I pulled up that I better have my "A" game on as we all know a Busa can't carve  
winkold.gif
. Anyway, let them know that we all ride our own ride and I don't expect anyone to speed up or slow down for anyone, just have your fun and keep your space. We decide to head N on Blanco from 1604 then 46 to 281 (about 15 miles) and top off at Exxon.

Well, I'm moving along... not flying... just warming things up for about 3 miles and open her up a bit on the flats just to see how I pull from the group and slow down a little to let them catch up. Now we're past Spetch's (local bike hang) and hitting the 20 mph switches. After the first 4 I look back and everyone was gone... oh wait... not yet... here they come. So we come on the second set with 2 of the 4 tighter on my line, throw her back and forth, looked back and thought I was alone... oh, wait. Here they come.

Make it to Exxon and 2 of the 4 bail down 281 and don't even stop. The 2 that do (Ellie and his bud, sorry I don't remember your name) do a courtesy stop and say they are going to bail. Buddy was trying to come up with reasons why and finally said it was nothing against the agressive nature of the ride, that he appreciated it, they were just more into local cruising thing for an hour or so.  
wtf.gif
Don't get me wrong... i have nothing against any of them but what did you expect??? I'm on a Busa  
muscle.gif

BTW - TxBusa05LE had a great ride to Boerne (car show going on). Thanks for making it out bro and helping to represent.
my first inclination is to commend you on your apparent riding skills.

my second thought?...is to warn that i fear many times such gatherings have a almost magical...seemingly un-stoppable...way of turning into a testosterone filled, two-wheeled proving grounds.

my 3rd thought is...i also fear that many busa riders feel somewhat disadvantaged in the handling dept. (via a mass/weight deficiet) and then attempt to making up for such with power in the straights and demonstartions of having huge balls in the crooked shid...with a "See?..I can make this big biotch dance through the twisties too!"...mentality...especially when surrounded by a crew of hot azz liter class RR's.

and i only mention this because i've witnessed many others go down challenging themselves with the busa vs liter phenom...and?...

experienced/suffered through these same symptoms myself a time or two...and the wise?...excuse themselves and drop off the back while the not so wise often times crash while attempting to get/stay up front...and it's generally not a good situation as it ALWAYS seems to end in either one of two ways...

A. And abbreviated group ride (for the wise) or?...

B. 2 hours of roadside cellphone action and emt's and ends off with a trip to the emergency room...and in a couple of the worst cases?...sad visits paid to recently widowed spouses.

JMHO and L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

I always tell people that I'm not about to risk a ticket in a straight line so you will NOT see me charging down from corner to corner.

what I want is the ticket for going 90 mph on a curve marked at 25mph.

biggrin.gif

--Wag--

I had something like this happen - with one guy. Mr. "I wanna Be Kevin Schwantz" on his repsol CBR1000rr. He shows me movies and spouts off about this race and this knee and blah blah blah. We then go for the ride up the mountain - the twistie mountain for the purpose of having a thrill.

We head out at moderate speeds, no knees dragging, but definitely ticket speed. At the top of the mountain - I'm waiting for him scratching my head. He pulls up doing 40mph... huh? He gets off all pissed - "I'm not riding crazy. Did you see that cop back there! I'm not in to getting a ticket! I'm too old and have responsibilty!" ...he barks. (I'm 44 - he's 38..) Um... there was no cop - and we weren't doing but maybe 20 over and we were just seriously - enjoying a few G's on the turns...

So we putter off to another canyon and do about 35 the whole time - zzz....zzzz.... I apologize for the slow ride and he's like "Man! That was awesome!! Great ride!" huh?

So ya see - getting perceptions out of the way before ya ride with another person or persons, can help. It's a head scratcher and ya never know for what purpose people ride: thrill, joy, scenery, deathwish, nap. I say - ride your ride Snap.
thumb_up.gif

I think the gist of this is: if the pace was too much, the guys shoulda at least stopped and said something about, man up, ya know?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to ride at a more chill pace, but don't just blow the guy off and drive past.

Regardless, I tend to do all my riding alone or with my wife. I been part of way too many group rides where bad **** happened and, not to knock anyone at all, I just don't want to be part of it anymore.

I would however love to get back on a track, it's been a long time.

BTW, I know those roads well, man. That's my commute.
smile.gif

I go I-10 N > 1604 East > Blanco N > Spect Road > Obst Road > Bulverde Road > 1863 to 281N > FM306 20 miles to home.

That's my ride home 4 days a week.
biggrin.gif

Problem is I'm night shift, so I'm doing it at 9am after being up for 11hrs. So I usually ride at a pretty safe but "enjoyable" pace.

Right now I hate my tires (some crappy Continentals) so I don't feel good leaning it way over as it is. The guy I bought it from flat spotted the rear pretty bad. I just want to burn them out and get everything I can out of'em before I shell out for new ones.
I live at Blanco/Huebner so it was in my "backyard" as well. I wasn't blasting the straight as there is nothing to proved there... in fact, there is nothing to prove anywhere... I just ride my ride. I was about 75% my usual pace out there. I ride 3-4 times a week and look to improve my riding technique, not speed. I also don't look to drag a knee. If it happens, fine, if not, fine as well.

Everyone has brought up good points and these type posts I feel improve my riding skills as well... it's not just learning on the bike. You can learn off of it as well.

beerchug.gif

I'm glad you guys had a good ride.

I'm shocked that the guy on the Kawi joined again. Wasn't he on one of our last rides and commented on the pace being more than he expected?? Seemed like a decent guy though.
Yeah, great guy. That's what I guess has me puzzled. Surely he told these guys before the meet what to expect. Perhaps not. I could tell the Kawi wanted to hang but his bud had a little peer pressure to bail. I think he wanted to come out and pick up a few things which we would have been more than happy to share.

I always tell people that I'm not about to risk a ticket in a straight line so you will NOT see me charging down from corner to corner.

biggrin.gif

--Wag--
Amen!!

I love riding at 60-80 the whole ride, but having a good sprinkling of 20-35 MPH corners mixed into it...
whistling.gif

I just wish us West Coast guys could hook up with East Coast and Middle America guys and do some riding...there would be a breakaway group, a group behind that, and 2 groups behind that but when we all rolled up to the destination, everyone, I'm sure, would laugh , talk, and have a great time with no pretense. I so enjoy everyones comments. Raydog

I just wish us West Coast guys could hook up with East Coast and Middle America guys and do some riding...there would be a breakaway group, a group behind that, and 2 groups behind that but when we all rolled up to the destination, everyone, I'm sure, would laugh , talk, and have a great time with no pretense.   I so enjoy everyones comments.    Raydog
Right on Raydog! Our weekend ride was exactly that. Everyone rode at a pace that comfortable for them. We ALL had a blast. We ALL made it to our destination. We ALL went home safe. Isnt that is whats its all about?

it kinda cracked me up today at the gas station some guy wanted to talk trash about my bike saying it cant handle and he procceded to tell me about his 180 rwhp r1 and its like yeah but your driving a mini-van right now and im on my bike and he would have been the first person to be trying me redlight to redlight and then wonder what happened when i hung iwth him in the corners saying it was a fluke im by no way trashing a liter bike but i don't think that they respect the busa for what it is ... its just frustrating

I just wish us West Coast guys could hook up with East Coast and Middle America guys and do some riding...there would be a breakaway group, a group behind that, and 2 groups behind that but when we all rolled up to the destination, everyone, I'm sure, would laugh , talk, and have a great time with no pretense.   I so enjoy everyones comments.    Raydog
All I have to say I have to give you west coast fellas some props allot of you guys have mad skills in the twisties I know this because I have ridden with a few west coast guys but there are allot of sqids out there as well. Ya'll have a great advantage because allot of your roads out that way are nothing but twisties. I want to get out that way one day and ride some of those roads.
beerchug.gif

It's true, squids everywhere, the people I ride with tend to eliminate the fools in earlier rides, they don't get asked to come back. Like the guy on a Honda 1000 that had to do a wheelie off the curb every time he left a gas station...it just doesn't make sense and I don't want to be part of an image that is reckless and careless(nor do any of my riding buddies).
The West really does have the roads and it does keep our skills sharpened! Raydog

Img_9404_Doyle_1000.jpg

A friend asked me out on a ride one Sunday. Says we're gonna do Brooksville . Nice curves , decent ride you know . He tells me we are meeting some friends up there . We get to the rally point and there are about 9 bikes there and not one of the riders has on gear. Here We Go , I'm thinking . Shorts ,tennis shoes , tank tops and sunglasses . I feel like the only one with a costume at Halloween party . We head out and they are all piss and vinegar . Hot dogging , passing cars , in and out of traffic . I'm at the rear of the pack watching it all. We get up to Brooksville now they want to stop and top off they're bikes . Cool . I ask a few if they'd ever been up here and none of them had but they'd all heard there were some nice twisties up here . I suggest that we all meet up at the BP gas station on Hwy 50 as or next stop. We take off again and it's like a pack of Alpha males fighting for dominance. We finally get on the back road and there is about a three mile straight before a series of nice curves . This is the last place I saw them I dropped the hammer a couple hung until we hit those curves I didn't see any of them again until the BP .
At the Bp there are about 30 or so bikes and when they finally pull up they are the ones that look out of place .Everyone else there had gear on . Thats the last time I ever rode with them.

with the correct set up, ie tyre pressures, good rubber etc then the Busa is as good as most in terms of the twisties. OK its not a Ducatti, but will hold its own. I think the problem people have with the "non cornering" ability is that one is deceived with the entry speed. I think we have all at one time arrived at a corner just a tad to quick and managed to get it through with a raised heart beat.What I'm trying to say is that you do not feel the speed on a Busa and can very easily come in to fast, whereas on a Blade or R1 you know you are fast and adjust the speed accordingly, and thats why so many say it doesn't corner because so many have dropped them in the corners.

It's all about the rider.  Having the Busa set up correctly and continuously working on improving thier skill.  My 85% level is higher than most people's 100%.  vman1300 and Charlesbusa's 85% level is higher than my 100% level.  People need to ride their own rides and let other ride their own rides.  There is no shame in running at the back.  If the people at the front have a problem waiting at the next intersection for you, you are running with the wrong group.

I also don't think there is any place for trash talking on a group ride.  That serves no purpose but to taunt people into trying to ride over their heads.  If you're good, you don't need to tell everyone, everyone will figure it out for themselves.  The talkers are usally the guys with race rubber and chicken planks 1 1/2 wide or running someone elses race takoffs.

The Busa will handle every bit as well as a liter bike if you ride it that way.
I actually prefer the heavier weight for cornering, that is why I race an RC51.

We have some good roads in Texas - I would put 337 up against plenty of other places.
It is a knee draggers paradise.

Oh yeah - who says you can't drag a knee on a Busa.
cool.gif

biggrin.gif

--Wag--
+1. I slow down on the long straights to let the group catch back up. When I count the correct number of headlights, off I go into the twisties again.

Back