led headlight mod

Yep all HID bulbs are same, the ballast dictates the output. I still had same ballasts, they just don't have decent quality control. They use to be decent years ago but not so much now.

Retrofit sounds like it'd be fun. The busa headlight is pretty easy to open too, least compared to some other vehicles I've had to open.

I feel like someone had modified or rotated the high beam cutoff so the cutoff would be at the top of the light and not the bottom.

Attached are my before the led shots. 55w ddm 5000k and oem high beam that lights the sky.

Edit:https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/81658-hid-headlamp-mod-2.html

ForumRunner_20150829_230328.png

ForumRunner_20150829_230340.png

Yep that's how mine is. Cutoff is at the bottom, guess because they're wired to be on at the same time you already have light below it.

Lights should be here tomorrow and I'll have time after work to install and post pics!

Well no good news to report yet. Got the package today but the low beam can't get installed bc the adapter they have is too small for the connector on the bike. But even if that wasn't an issue it wouldn't be able to be held in place without some other adapter as the wire can't go around the fan unit.

The only good news is the high beam was able to be installed. But not sure if it'll throw the light as far as the oem bulb. I didn't take any pictures of just the high oem.

ForumRunner_20150908_194517.png

ForumRunner_20150908_194528.png

ForumRunner_20150908_194540.png

ForumRunner_20150908_194548.png

ForumRunner_20150908_194556.png

I got a similar bulb off ebay and on my Gen 1, the high beam install was totally plug and play, even with the fan attached to the back of the LED. :D

[/URL][/IMG]

Shifty I'm assuming you had to take the headlight off the bike to do that mod?

It looks like the first wall picture was OEM and 2nd was LED? If so, it looks like the LED has a very nice pattern compared to OEM or maybe the HID low is making it look better since color temps match?

Yeah u would compare the yellow high beam in the pic with both hi/low on to the picture of just the high on.

Hey Mike...
I just put in the high beam as well in the projector unit.
Angled the projector down
Set the projector to come on as the low beam. Haven't tested it on the road yet but its damn bright. I would assume the projector would throw a better beam then the regular low beam any day

Well put the low beam hid back on be able to ride. This bulb doesn't throw the beam at all and is no where near the 4000 lumen it was supposed to be.

ForumRunner_20150909_202836.png

ForumRunner_20150909_202847.png

Hey Mike...
I just put in the high beam as well in the projector unit.
Angled the projector down
Set the projector to come on as the low beam. Haven't tested it on the road yet but its damn bright. I would assume the projector would throw a better beam then the regular low beam any day

If you angled the projector down you also angled the the low beam as well. Curious how did you swap the low/high? Just cut connectors off and swapped them?

Well put the low beam hid back on be able to ride. This bulb doesn't throw the beam at all and is no where near the 4000 lumen it was supposed to be.

That's disappointing. For my LED high beam, it didn't have a wide pattern... More of a spot light, but was the halogen did the same anyways. I think over the winter I'm going to do a retrofit and use a projector in the low beam housing and still use HID for lows. But while I'm in there, I'm considering swapping out the high beam projector for kicks too.

If you angled the projector down you also angled the the low beam as well. Curious how did you swap the low/high? Just cut connectors off and swapped them?

That's disappointing. For my LED high beam, it didn't have a wide pattern... More of a spot light, but was the halogen did the same anyways. I think over the winter I'm going to do a retrofit and use a projector in the low beam housing and still use HID for lows. But while I'm in there, I'm considering swapping out the high beam projector for kicks too.

No dont cut the connectors!
Left side dash - remove the little panel
there is a 6 wire connector
one side of the connection has a yellow and white wire
swap those and this swap your high and low beam

No dont cut the connectors!
Left side dash - remove the little panel
there is a 6 wire connector
one side of the connection has a yellow and white wire
swap those and this swap your high and low beam

Ha, well that's simple! Never considered that. I already have my high and low wired independently with relays. Main reason was just to run high beam during the day (to be seen) and HID low at night, but neither at same time.

Just a random thought... One thing that someone could do is crack open the housing and, if possible, flip the cutoff on the projector 180 degrees (or even whole housing) so you would have a nice sharp cutoff line with lighting below it instead of above it.

Infinite I posted the link to the thread that did that a few posts up.

Awesome, it is possible! Thanks for that link, everyone that's using HIDs in low beam should swap wires and turn projector around considering how easy the light is to open up. Or retrofit a projector in the reflector.

Back