Front Blinker - Running light Mod

I wish I could figure out how to get some pictures up here, cuz guys have told me my set-up is cool. Our bikes have a "parking" light harness from the factory for those European models and I tagged into that and put blue LED's in my front smoked lens as parking lights. Looks real cool when the ambers flash in with the blue. I just drilled a 1/2 dia. hole just above the socket for the turn signal socket, used my pencil air grinder on a moderate speed so I didn't just melt the plastic and notched it to fit a 194 socket and used 194 replacement blue LED's. It is pretty dang cool looking, especially at night.

When posting a message hit that little "paper clip" button right next to the smiley face. Browse and then upload your pic. can do multiple pics. Then hit preview post. like what you've done? Then hit submit reply. :thumbsup:

When posting a message hit that little "paper clip" button right next to the smiley face. Browse and then upload your pic. can do multiple pics. Then hit preview post. like what you've done? Then hit submit reply. :thumbsup:

it's the uploading part that doesn't seem to jive. i always get a message that says something like file or item to big. but i'll keep trying. now that i'm thinking about it tho, I think it's only went trying to load a picture for my avatar, i haven't actually "tried" for postings ..... hmmm.... i'll have to give it a rip:beerchug:

i put in some gm sockets for the "front runners" which have a green and a red wire and tied into the oem existing wires, but where do i connect the brown "running light" wire to? do i connect the black/white tracer that was paired up with the brown as well? i've read this write up and gxrhp's several times, but i can't make out the wiring.

i put in some gm sockets for the "front runners" which have a green and a red wire and tied into the oem existing wires, but where do i connect the brown "running light" wire to? do i connect the black/white tracer that was paired up with the brown as well? i've read this write up and gxrhp's several times, but i can't make out the wiring.

wire the brown wire to the red socket wire and blk/wht wire to the green. the brown is the feed supply, blk/wht is ground. so have red a '+' on the socket, and green as your ground. that's exactly how I did mine, even used the GM replacement 194 recepticle.

great right up. but to make sure i have this down. if you dont want to take the long route, you can just cut the wiring hook up the led and the extra wire for the running light is just hooked up to a aux12v wire? or just a power source

Are the rear turn signal connectors mates for the front? I dont have my bike near but I have the rear sockets and the rear turn connectors I clipped and thought I could solder those together and use.

BTW great right up and walk thru!

I didn't change my sockets. I went to Advance and bought a two signal connector. I cut the wires and removed my old single. You need to cut the tab off the two signal and slide it into your OEM socket. Get a dual filament bulb with tabs on the bottom, not staggered like the 1157. You need to rotate the connector base to match the contacts when the bulb is locked into place. Trial and error the two wires on your battery to see which is which and you're set. I just finished mine a few minutes ago.

Edit...The bulbs are 1167. And the part number for the double contact pigtail was 85801 at Advance Auto Parts. Bulbs and pigtails were $9.30. I don't think you can get anything under $10 at the dealer.

Last edited:
pics of my switchback mod before HIDs and after. hi and lo 6k kits w 48 LED towers. no prob fitting the 48s in...and i used the stock tail sockets.

07290915.jpg

07291020.jpg

Ok, I bought bulbs, made the wire harnesses, only question is which wire to tap into for the running lights portion :) I'm assuming an IGN source, but do you have a color wire or location of one off hand in that location which won't drain too much load from headlights. I'm installing both HIDs same time.

Back