Headlight Bulb Info??

HayabusaPilot

Registered
I am interested in the HID systems, however my son has HIDs on his GSXR-600 and the system is quirky at best. Multiple restarts, no lamp ignition, battery issues. Saw an ad by PIAA that states they have a halogen light that runs 55 watt but puts out the eqiuvelant of 110 watt light at 4,000 K. The light is the H7 that would fit the low lamp and they state the also have it in H4. Has anyone used these PIAA bulbs and are they as good as the company claims? Thanks!

I am interested in the HID systems, however my son has HIDs on his GSXR-600 and the system is quirky at best. Multiple restarts, no lamp ignition, battery issues.

HID lights are sensitive to lack of current. If installed improperly with inadequate ground connections, or used when the engine isnt running, the arc may fail.

In some instances, I have found that after installing a new engine, people often forget to install enough ground connections to the chassis, so even if you installed the HID kit with a solid ground connection, there still may be inadequate current flow because the battery is not connected well enough to the chassis.

Most cases of this behavior are a result of inferior ballasts from cheapo HID kits, or a lack of current as a result of poor ground connections.

In regards to your sons battery issues, I have seen instances where peopel install relays for their HID kit. Some 4 prong relays have a plastic cap, and they arnt water tight, if you install the relay upside down, water fills inside the cap, and your battery bleeds out current though the relay as the water corrodes at the parts inside the relay untill it becomes a conductive solution, which could be the cause of the dying battery. Be sure to install relays with the plastic cap ontop so water cannot pool inside it, or surround it in some kind of bearier to keep water out.

I also happen to be an HID vendor, If anybody here has issues installing HIDs, Add me to freinds and Id be happy to help you out with any troubleshooting issues :beerchug:

I just happenned to stumble on this post while surfing, so i figured id sign up here. Im Rockin the fjr1300, but im lookin at the busa maybe this spring as a second bike.

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you for the info. I'll check out the site. My son's HID set was about $100 and has a slim ballast and the light for low beam only so that he can still use the "flash" featue on the high beam. I'll ask him but I remember him telling me it was a european company that he'd gotten it from on the Net.

Just be on the lookout for a qualty kit. The cheaper kits dont have high voltage output capabilitys or stable current flow.

-An unstable current flow as a result of poor design will result in occasional failures to ignite, and occasional failures of the arc.
-As bulbs age, they need a higher voltage to keep them lit, better ballasts with higher output capabilities will be able to ignite the bulbs for longer without needing to replace them

I have a leftover set for the hayabusa for sale on ebay for 98 dollars since I just sold one to a hayabusa owner yesterday. It has 155volt capable slim ballasts in cast/polished alluminum housings, and will convert both bulbs in the headlamp assembly. 155 volt ballasts are good for about 5000 hours of burn time. Its only available in 15000k which is a deep blue.

FULL! Suzuki Hayabusa gsx1300r DEEP BLUE 15000k HID kit : eBay Motors (item 270542109020 end time Apr-04-10 18:18:35 PDT)

Back