led headlight mod

I got a similar bulb off ebay and on my Gen 1, the high beam install was totally plug and play, even with the fan attached to the back of the LED. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep I saw that picture on the previous page. I went ahead and just ordered it. Figure I can figure out a way to make it fit worse case. Pretty pumped, looking forward to seeing how it looks. Can't go wrong with yellow!

Installed my 3000K high beam over the weekend. All I can say is WOW! Can't wait to try it out and compare it vs the HID 4300K low beam.

These are the only ones I have right now. One difference I've noticed is mine didn't come with a separate regulator like others. Does have a heat sink and fan though. 100% plug and play! Tomorrow it's not supposed to rain, so I'll get to see how well it performs vs HID. :)

15253.jpg

14324.jpg

Since bike was in my shop, realized I could shut all the doors and turn off the lights for people to see a comparison shot since each light is wired to come on individually.

4300K 55W HID vs 3000K 32W LED

20150825_162354_HDR.jpg

20150825_162413.jpg

Got to try out my LED high beam. I'd say it's 50% brighter than the yellow ion halogen. I can't honestly compare it to the HID on the road, the cutoffs on low vs high are different. In the shop they are pretty close, giving the HID the win mainly due to it the color temp having more lumens. If color temp was equal, I think they would be VERY close.

One thing in comparing the OP's LED low vs my HID low, it appears the HID has less scatter above and below and a better cutoff. I think that's likely do the the LEDs on the bulb are 180 degree from each other where as the HID bulb emits lights all around.

I'm looking for someone interested in going to oracle led's that wants to split a set with me I found them on eBay for 170 a set but I don't need 2 of each one h7 and 1 9005 I'll put the money up front no problem with that and be happy to ship them to you once I get them if anyone is interested please let me know my bike is apart right now doing other mods and I just don't wanna spend that much to have a set in the garage my bike is a gen1

Send a message to the seller. I just got 1 h7 and 1 h9 sent to me for gen2.

Dang I should have thought to do that. Oh well, I'm just testing them. I was looking to see if anyone offered 5000K since I'm considering doing my low beam and they have a TON of different types of bulbs. They range in LEDs to heat sinks to drivers. Not sure if one is better than the other, but do go up in price for sure!

I'm trying these. Since the LEDs don't get very hot they have changeable covers that simulate different color temps. Won't be in until late September but they shipped yesterday from China to USA

ForumRunner_20150828_110425.png

Haha, that's one of them I looked at. Those have more lumens than the 3200 I have, but mine are 3000K LEDs too. The LEDs should remain cool, but that heat sink on the back of mine does get hot.

One thing I wondered with these is if the lense decrease the light output. I know when the color coated halogens were popular in the late 90's, the coating supposedly decreased the light output. This was a long time ago, way before aftermarket HID's were even on the market, but I ran some and noticed a little bit. Nothing major, but I was young and dumb too, haha.

Please post pictures when you get them installed and your thoughts! I'm kicking the idea around for doing my low beam possibly. BTW mine came from China too and made it to me in 9 days from when I ordered. :)

I've never actually had something take that long to come from China either but I will definitely post up some pictures. I won't use the higher temp colors then 5000k but maybe I'll hook up and take pictures of the different colors.

Cool! I will be interested to see, even though I am committed to a full projector retrofit and dual low / dual high, bi-xenon HID bulbs. Decided to go with dual Morimoto Mini D2S projectors and 55W ballasts for max light output. Not really that expensive if you do it yourself.

I wanted to do projector retro. Ddm has a great deal on their projectors think 70 for the pair of bi-xenon (hid not included) Just didn't want the down time of doing it and I don't really ride much at night.

I hate DDM. I will never do business with them again, the quality of their stuff is junk. Their color temps are all skewed as well. Had a bulb go out, took an act of congress to get a replacement and when I got the new bulb, labeled same color temp, it wasn't even close. Morimoto is way to go for projectors, ballast and bulbs.

I really want to do a retrofit over the winter as well. Similar setup as Shifty with an Occo (I think that's the name) shroud. Smoke the chrome reflectors. Shifty, you going to post pics when done?

Ddm is hit or miss. Thankfully I haven't had a problem with them. Got a bad balast once they just asked for pictures of me cutting the wires and they sent me a new one.

I know ddms bulbs are all the same between 35w and 55w so the same color temp looks different between the 2 wattage since the 55w will wash some color.

Back