My '99 Busa Led Headlamp Conversion

Kiwi Rider

Registered
Hi everyone,
just finished the hard part of fitting a new LED H/lamp bulb to my Low Beam position.
I bought two bulbs from Aliexpress ..... cheap enough...
( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/360...32331987626.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.bw0fCw)
and had to remove the fairings etc to do it.
This was not a straight forward 'plug n play', quite tricky actually.
Typical of Aliexpress, they said it has the mounting piece to suit H7 but I had to break out the die grinder and modify the plastic piece to get it to fit in the recessed bulb position in the lamp.
Next step is to wire it in to the loom, think I'll use spade connectors and plug it right in to the original 2 pin plug for low beam. It has hi and low wires on the LED bulb so will hook the hi beam into the original hi beam wire to make it super bright when switched to high.
Here's some pics.
IMG_1701.JPG
IMG_1697.JPG

IMG_1699.JPG

IMG_1700.JPG

Cool! I'm interested in difference in light. Will you have before and after pics? BTW, nice bike!

img_1644_bmp_file.jpg
Cool! I'm interested in difference in light. Will you have before and after pics? BTW, nice bike!
Yeah, will post up more pics when I've got it all finished, unfortunately I never took a pic of the light emissions from the standard bulb but will post a pic of the LED emissions and give you my thoughts on how much difference there is.
At NZ$21.00 very cheap conversion!
Thanks for the compliment re the bike. I've done so much work to the ol' girl since I bought it 3.5 years ago.
About $5500 of improvements!

Last edited:
Nice! Is there a reason you took the whole nose off to do the install, or was it off for other work too? I tried the LED route for awhile but wound up going back to HIDs. I bought my LED kit from my local Cycle Gear, but after a few months it failed. They replaced it for free and after a few months it failed again, that's when I went back to HIDs. I had the same HID setup in my 07 Gen1 Busa for years and it never had problems, it was a kit from my local Cycle Gear too.

Nice! Is there a reason you took the whole nose off to do the install, or was it off for other work too? I tried the LED route for awhile but wound up going back to HIDs. I bought my LED kit from my local Cycle Gear, but after a few months it failed. They replaced it for free and after a few months it failed again, that's when I went back to HIDs. I had the same HID setup in my 07 Gen1 Busa for years and it never had problems, it was a kit from my local Cycle Gear too.

I took the nose cone off because I needed to see exactly how to mount this new LED lamp, turned out it would have been virtually impossible trying to fit the bulb and wire in the lamp wiring to the original plug etc.
I suspected this would be the case, and it only takes 10 minutes to remove the nose fairing anyway.
I had to remove the side fairings to sort an oil leak at the starter clutch cover gasket as well.
I've got the fairings removal/refit down to 15 minutes!
I considered an HID kit, can buy a new kit for $80 locally (2 lamps, 2 ballasts , wiring etc) (https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1507285870) and a used kit for $40, (https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1510338947) but really wanted to try the LED set up after reading positive reviews on them.
If the LED dies I will fit the second one I have in reserve (at 20 bucks each I bought two knowing I can sell it if I need to) and if that one gives trouble I will most likely go to the HID set up.
Will keep you informed.

I took the nose cone off because I needed to see exactly how to mount this new LED lamp, turned out it would have been virtually impossible trying to fit the bulb and wire in the lamp wiring to the original plug etc.
I suspected this would be the case, and it only takes 10 minutes to remove the nose fairing anyway.
I had to remove the side fairings to sort an oil leak at the starter clutch cover gasket as well.
I've got the fairings removal/refit down to 15 minutes!
I considered an HID kit, can buy a new kit for $80 locally (2 lamps, 2 ballasts , wiring etc) (https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1507285870) and a used kit for $40, (https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1510338947) but really wanted to try the LED set up after reading positive reviews on them.
If the LED dies I will fit the second one I have in reserve (at 20 bucks each I bought two knowing I can sell it if I need to) and if that one gives trouble I will most likely go to the HID set up.
Will keep you informed.
Cool! I did reread your original post that stated you had to use a die grinder for the install process. On another note, just curious; what is that black box looking object to the left of your radar detector?

Cool! I did reread your original post that stated you had to use a die grinder for the install process. On another note, just curious; what is that black box looking object to the left of your radar detector?

That BLACK BOX is my secure comms to Trump.
I've been telling him he's gotta stop the taunting and childish remarks and 'threats' to Kim over in NK but he just laughs and screams at me "YOU'RE FIRED!!!"
I told him he'll likely start a nuclear war but his answer was "Good! and my button's a damn sight bigger than Kim's button!"
Seriously though, it's actually a loudspeaker that came with my Bel Radar detector, it's audible at speeds of up to 120mph, after that... who cares??
Here's a couple of pics for your perusal...
Oh, and I'm about to post up a youtube vid of the bike with lights operating etc.
IMG_1703.JPG

IMG_1704.JPG

Well, I rode my bike the other night when it was dark, (had to wait until 10pm coz it gets dark around 9.45pm here at this time of year) and I was disappointed with the lack of beam focus and cut off.
I don't know if it's the reflector design or possibly the lamp is not set in the right position but the beam is too wide (180deg) and not going out far enough. I didn't feel I was riding within my beam range at 60mph, couldn't see the road far enough ahead.
The upside is that the LED lamp is only using .614 Amps and is 8W power.
My volt meter on my Beltronics radar detector is now reading 13.4V and previously with the 55W Halogen bulb was reading 13.9V when cruising at highway speeds
I am thinking the alternator is not working as hard so alt output is reduced.
Anyway.... I rarely ride in the dark so the main benefit of utilizing the LED lamp is I have slightly better fuel consumption. If I need to ride at night I will be using the high beam!

Not suprised that the led isn' throwing the light far. They aren't known to do that yet with the aftermarket ones.

I've been telling him he's gotta stop the taunting and childish remarks and 'threats' to Kim over in NK but he just laughs and screams at me "YOU'RE FIRED!!!"
I told him he'll likely start a nuclear war but his answer was "Good! and my button's a damn sight bigger than Kim's button!"
Seriously though, it's actually a loudspeaker that came with my Bel Radar detector, it's audible at speeds of up to 120mph, after that... who cares??
Oh, and I'm about to post up a youtube vid of the bike with lights operating etc.
View attachment 1578087

View attachment 1578090
Sweet!
View attachment 1578087

View attachment 1578090
Sweet! LOL!

Update!
I've ordered an adapter male connector from Aliexpress for the LED bulb so I can plug it in to the original female connector plug.
At present I only have the standard sized male spade terminals soldered to the bulb wiring and the adapter has the correct sized terminals to plug in, much tidier.
Adapter plug is $5.40NZ for 5 sets. Could not find any locally.

I'd be concerned with the glare of the headlight to oncoming traffic and some one being blinded and swerve into my lane. That's one of the many reasons I did a retrofit on my headlight, well worth the effort. :)

On a side note, I ordered some H1 LED bulbs sort of similar to the OP. Always been curious how well they perform in a projector compared to HIDs. I'm sure they won't be as good, but for $11 shipped figured why not since I have a pair of MH1's sitting in a box.

Well, I rode my bike the other night when it was dark, (had to wait until 10pm coz it gets dark around 9.45pm here at this time of year) and I was disappointed with the lack of beam focus and cut off.
I don't know if it's the reflector design or possibly the lamp is not set in the right position but the beam is too wide (180deg) and not going out far enough. I didn't feel I was riding within my beam range at 60mph, couldn't see the road far enough ahead.!

I know this is an older thread but I'd figure I'd chime in as this is something I'm looking into doing. The reason you aren't getting the light you need from the LED is because of its design. In all due respect, it's cheap and isn't designed properly, from what I've been finding out from researching the topic. Your low beam head light has all those facits in its design for a reason which is to angle the light in certain ways. It is specifically designed for a halogen bulb. The LED you have is scattering the light beams in a lot of ineffective directions, wasting the light. A properly designed LED will give you much better results. The down side to it will be cost. The set I'm looking at is $200 for 2 bulbs. They are made by GTR lightening and they are the G3 bulbs. They draw 2.1 amps which isn't as low as what you're seeing but still half of what the stock halogen draws.

https://gtrlighting.com/gtr-lighting-ultra-series-led-headlight-bulbs-h7-3rd-generation/

Hi everyone,
just finished the hard part of fitting a new LED H/lamp bulb to my Low Beam position.
I bought two bulbs from Aliexpress ..... cheap enough...
( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/360...32331987626.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.bw0fCw)
and had to remove the fairings etc to do it.
This was not a straight forward 'plug n play', quite tricky actually.
Typical of Aliexpress, they said it has the mounting piece to suit H7 but I had to break out the die grinder and modify the plastic piece to get it to fit in the recessed bulb position in the lamp.
Next step is to wire it in to the loom, think I'll use spade connectors and plug it right in to the original 2 pin plug for low beam. It has hi and low wires on the LED bulb so will hook the hi beam into the original hi beam wire to make it super bright when switched to high.
Here's some pics.View attachment 1578045 View attachment 1578046

View attachment 1578047

View attachment 1578048
Hi , just a heads up on the new WOF regulations surrounding LED bulbs. Unless it's a factory installation and comes out with LED bulbs in headlight then good chance it will be failed on compliance of wof

Back