led headlight mod

So back to the theme that started this thread, as LEDs draw less current and I am in the same situation as hendrix, I want to cut back on amp draw, is there a plug and play LED kit that we dont have to mod the headlight to utilize the bulb?

So back to the theme that started this thread, as LEDs draw less current and I am in the same situation as hendrix, I want to cut back on amp draw, is there a plug and play LED kit that we dont have to mod the headlight to utilize the bulb?

Did you read the thread? Links have been posted.

I'm sorry, I was thinking of the high beam I did. It's just plug and play, link on page 3 for high beam.

I don't think you have to actually modify your headlight. Looks like you just need to devise a way to hold the bulb since it's a H7, look at Shify's pictures.

I'm doing a low beam retrofit on mine soon and going to try something different for my high beam. Instead of 3000K yellow, going to get a new bulb that has a clear lense around it, like 04LE's, and put some orange/amber colored vinyl on it in hopes it'll give out a nice bright orange for some thing different.

I am looking to try and save about 50% of the power of the low beam and if shiftys is doing that, which it looks like half the watts, I am in. I can make something work.

Shifty's idea is pretty ingenious too. :) Depending on which one's you buy, you'll likely save some power over halogen. BTW some of the claims are all over the place, like some that say 80w LEDs. I'd bet that's total for 2 bulbs, so they're 40w each. Same with the lumen output. Just read carefully. Mine came from ebay, if I order another set it'll be from there as well. China is the cheaper route, but not the fastest. US sellers cost a little more but you'll get them alot quicker.

Question for anyone reading: If you have a 3000K (yellow) LED bulb, add orange translucent vinyl over it... will it be orange or maybe more of a golden color? I need mine to be 100% orange to match couple other retrofit mods I'll be doing.

I understand you still want the 3000k but putting vinyl over the bulb will change the temperature anyway.

They do sell orange LED H9 bulbs with a claimed 60w (looks like a regular parking light bulb) but I highly doubt it's even close to that. If it was, I think it'd likely need a heat sink and fan. I honestly won't use it for night riding, but still want it as bright as possible.

I have 3000K now, but I'm wanting to go orange now. Just some idea I have when I do the retorfit and would need my high beam orange to match. It may or may not work out. I think best thing I should do, and not sure why didn't think about it before, is to apply some translucent orange over the other 3000K bulb I have and temp wire it to a battery to see what color it actually puts out. Vinyl came in yesterday so no reason not too. :)

Back