Learning curve

Blue1

Registered
I've read a lot on this and other sites from riders that are buying 'busas as their first bike and I have to comment...

If one buys a 'busa as their first bike, they are limiting how good a rider they can become.

How? Because pushing the envelope is how you learn, going too far could get you hurt, and the edge is a fine one on a 'busa. One needs to slightly scare themselves on a bike as they approach a bike's limits, and once the bike is mastered (I'd say the level you need to get to before moving up is being able to use 80+% of the potential of the machine, no mean feat on a modern mototrcycle).

Every time I moved up (RD350C to GPZ550 to KZ750E to GS1100E to ZRX1200R to '07 'busa) I took most of a season to become accustomed to each bike. Even going from the GS1100E (lightly modded about 100 hp, good for 11 flats at 120+) straight to the 'busa without the ZRX between them would have flattened my learning curve.

If someone I knew wanted to start riding today, I would recommend at least one season on an SV650 or something comparable.

What do you think? And people that got a 'busa as a first bike are not qualified to answer, given their lack of perspective...

I think for the stereotypical beginning rider that is correct, the Busa is not a good bike to start on.

BUT....

If the beginning rider is not typical and has good judgment combined will a strong will power, than the Busa can be an awesome first bike. After all the Busa doesn't give you anything more than you ask for.

My biggest recommendation for newbie riders is to buy a "cheap" bike. Odds are high you'll lay it down one way or another. Why spend a 11 grand just to learn to always put the kickstand down.

I'm not qualified to answer, but I'm going to anyway. I disagree
lurk.gif

I don't know
winkold.gif
, my first bike was a Cushman Eagle with a total of (maybe
rock.gif
) 35 hp ! But, depending on your maturity, you can learn just as fast on the street with a high hp street bike as with any other. It's just how you want to ride the bike. Like a Young Mush Brain  
tounge.gif
 or a more mature adult  
whistling.gif
. Unfortunately, most forget that RACING and TOP Speed Runs are better done on a track
race.gif

i wouldn`t recommend to someone to start out on a busa but if you do and can exercise some good judgement and common sense you should be ok..it is a great bike to ride. my gixxer 1000 will get you in trouble alot quicker !!!
2cents.gif

Keep your ego in check; start with a small and possibly used motorcycle and work your way up as your skills increase.

xxx.jpg

I started in a YUGO... that thing was mean on the lean angles, thank god I never scrape my needs when the doors open while turning.... I miss that death trap...
firedevil.gif

i agree that it has to be respected if its a first time bike but that doesn't mean you cant learn on it i dunno this frustrateds me

Keep your ego in check; start with a small and possibly used motorcycle and work your way up as your skills increase.
True.

P.S. Is there a reason you attach the picture of your bike on just about every post you make? You're killing the dial-up and wireless people here. Thanks for your consideration.

True.

P.S. Is there a reason you attach the picture of your bike on just about every post you make? You're killing the dial-up and wireless people here. Thanks for your consideration.
You have dial up? It is almost 2008 ya know
poke.gif
laugh.gif
No. I have UMTS. Sure it's almost as fast as DSL, but it does slow down a bit more if I get stuck on EDGE.

Are you stuck on wires? Get with the new millennium! Wireless data is the future.
tounge.gif

Plus, by now we already know he's sporting 04 LE colors. BTDT. I have an 08. Should I attach it to every post?

True.  

P.S. Is there a reason you attach the picture of your bike on just about every post you make?  You're killing the dial-up and wireless people here.  Thanks for your consideration.
You have dial up?  It is almost 2008 ya know
poke.gif

laugh.gif
No.  I have UMTS.  Sure it's almost as fast as DSL, but it does slow down a bit more if I get stuck on EDGE.

Are you stuck on wires?  Get with the new millennium!  Wireless data is the future.  
tounge.gif
No wires here.  I'm actually sitting in bed w/ the laptop on my lap.  Wireless is friggin awesome especially w/ my job.  If I get stopped somewhere, just pull out the PC and w hore it up

No wires here.  I'm actually sitting in bed w/ the laptop on my lap.  Wireless is friggin awesome especially w/ my job.  If I get stopped somewhere, just pull out the PC and ***** it up
WiFi or other?  Mine is over a cellular network when I'm away from home.
WiFi. As long as my PC can pick up a wireless signal, I can get online. Bigger cities are great for that cause none of the businesses lock their internet.

hijack.gif
<-----I'm a pro at it
rofl.gif

No wires here. I'm actually sitting in bed w/ the laptop on my lap. Wireless is friggin awesome especially w/ my job. If I get stopped somewhere, just pull out the PC and ***** it up
WiFi or other? Mine is over a cellular network when I'm away from home.
WiFi. As long as my PC can pick up a wireless signal, I can get online. Bigger cities are great for that cause none of the businesses lock their internet.

hijack.gif
<-----I'm a pro at it
rofl.gif
Back to our regular scheduled drama...

I had a 750 for about a month 4,500 miles. I have a Busa now. If the bike had been bigger (size wise not motor) I might have rode it longer. I only traded for the Busa because I went to the shop and sat on every bike there and at 6'6" 280lbs it was the only thing that did not feel like a pocket bike. It was almost my first bike and although I am not setting any track records I am confident I can ride as safe and have as much fun as anyone.

Hell you take a squid that has low sided a few bikes screwed the others up doing wheelies in shorts and flip flops. Then he wants to step it up and he will screw that one all up too.

I tend to think that a busa is okay for a first bike, PROVIDED the rider has good self-control and a healthy amount of respect for the power at their wrist. if you can keep your head and not try to show off on it, you'll be fine. if not, please fill out your organ donor card in advance.

Back