tounge.gif

100cc Yamaha RX100

So... Guru, you were on the dark side of the force eh??? I had a Shogun
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
[/QUOTE]
i didnt say I liked the bike
smile.gif

It was the most nervous thing ive ever seen on two wheels...mine was properly modded by the previous owner and consequently blew up in 4 months of hard riding...didnt care...my trusty Enfield was still belching smoke like it had been since it was made in 1960
smile.gif

I still have that Bullet...20 years older than I am and it still kicks butt!!

tounge.gif

smile.gif

Bikes and cars are like night and day.  I don't know what you consider powerful, but I have a 500+ HP car and it won't run 9's in the 1/4 or pull a wheelie at 70 MPH, but my stock Busa can.  The physics involved with 2 wheels is much different than 4 wheels.  For example, to make a car turn better, you lower it and put on wider tires.  To make a bike handle better, you raise it and put on skinnier tires. So there is not anything you can equate to riding because you can drive.

With that said, I've found the Busa to have a duel personality.  Drive it around below 5,000 RPM, and it's a pussycat.  Over 6,000 RPM, it's a beast.  The problem trying to learn on it is the temptation to take the bike to readline before you have the experience to handle everything that's happening when the bike is accelerating that fast.  

I agree with Tufbusa that if you are going to buy a sport bike as your first scoot, the Busa is no worse to learn on than a small cheap bike.  I generally recommend learning on a standard bike or small cruiser.  Something with a upright seating position and not alot of top end.  You can find them cheap enough that you don't care so much when you drop it and you can afford to get rid of after 4-5,000 miles (should take less than 6 months if you are really serious about riding).  Then buy your Busa.
+1 good advice.

You can even start off with a GS500. They look pretty nice, the 05's, and you would be less likely to kill yourself. It would be easier to learn from your mistakes if you live through them. Not trying to be smart but please take a safety course through MSF and start out with a small bike. Give it some time before you step to the Hayabusa.

I HAVE TO AGREE W/ GTRPIMP76. I STARTED ON A ZX6R , SELF TAUGHT FOR 2 YEARS AND SHORTLY AFTER BOUGHT AN 01' BUSA. I NEVER TOOK THE MSF COURSE UNTIL I SOLD THE NINJA. THE BUSA CAN BE A DIFFICULT BIKE TO MASTER, ESPECIALLY AT MY SKILL LEVEL.

For the same reason pilots learn on prop planes before flying jumbo jets, why you learn basic math before calculus, Why astronauts train for years before actually flying the shuttle into space. You need to know the basics before you can fully understand the advanced topics.

I've been riding motorcycles for years, and still feel under qualified to ride my Busa at times. Something that makes this even more important is your life is at stake.

Hope that clarifies things.

No offense, but Im not sure if this thread is a joke, or if this is truely serious. If your honestly asking the following - " if you stall a bike say in first gear .. what happens exactly?" & make comments like - "So long as you don't punch it, shouldn't it be relatively easy to learn on if you already know how to drive stick?"[/QUOTE]

After being a member of this forum for 18 months nothing surprises me.
Did you ever read the thread about being able to "drift" a Camaro therefore a Busa should not be a problem? Of course his bike has been put through a meat grinder in more ways than one.

My all time favorite though was the guy who felt a Busa would not be a problem as a first bike because he was really good at college basketball! I think that Busa ate some asphalt too.

Think of a motorcycle kinda like a gun.  You can kill yourself, or someone else, with any gun.  Why start with the one that shoots the biggest bullet?

Whatever you get, ride smart!  You'll improve your chances to live longer!

<!--EDIT|TruWrecks
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126301475 -->

No offense, but Im not sure if this thread is a joke, or if this is truely serious. If your honestly asking the following - " if you stall a bike say in first gear .. what happens exactly?" & make comments like - "So long as you don't punch it, shouldn't it be relatively easy to learn on if you already know how to drive stick?"

After being a member of this forum for 18 months nothing surprises me.
Did you ever read the thread about being able to "drift" a Camaro therefore a Busa should not be a problem? Of course his bike has been put through a meat grinder in more ways than one.

My all time favorite though was the guy who felt a Busa would not be a problem as a first bike because he was really good at college basketball! I think that Busa ate some asphalt too.[/QUOTE]
oh my gosh....I hear if your a good spades partner and make your book, you can do wheelies and drag a knee on a busa first time out.
baaa.gif

I have to disagree with those who say driving a high performance car won't in any way prepare one for a high performance motorcycle. It can't teach anything about physically controlling a bike, but it can teach a healthy respect for performance, how an engine reacts at different RPM's, etc. With a healthy respect for the machine, one can learn on any bike. I'm not necessarily saying it's smart, but it can be done.

I bought a Busa this time last year as my first street bike, although I had learned to ride dirt bikes when I was younger. I'm sure that gave me an advantage over someone who has never ridden anything, but I think what was more important in my successfully starting with the Hayabusa was the respect I had for high performance vehicles, which I learned from years of driving high performance cars. I now have nearly 11,000 miles on my bike (and I put another 2 or so on a V-Rod I bought this year), and neither bike has so much as a scratch caused by anything besides typical road debris.

After a year and a combined 13,000 miles, I obviously know how to control a bike, yet the one close call I've had was in the past month - which was caused by a lapse of good judgment and a lack of respect. One can be safe with little to no physical experience as long as they have respect for that lack of experience and for what they're riding. And someone with all the experience in the world can be dangerous if thy don't use good judgment.

I guess what I'm saying is if you're starting on a Busa, experience is optional, respect is not.

Just my 2c

Do yourself, your family, friends and US (mainly so we dont get jacked up insurance rates) a favor!! Take the MSF beginning ridercourse. You learn so much about riding and it may just help you to reevaluate your Busa decision. Busa is a fine motorcycle but only if you RESPECT (keyword here that EVERYONE HERE WILL PREACH TO YOU). Riding a fast car and a fast bike are TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS!! You won't have that "safety net" on a motorcycle if you make errors.
Have to second thus. Take a class, it WILL help with the basics.

My busa was my first bike and I have no complaints. It's exactly like driving a car with a stick shift but you use both hands and feet. The only other cycle I had was a 50cc honda when I was a kid.

If you have common sense you will be alright. But give yourself 2000 miles or so before you start driving faster and taking sharp turns.

This is the dumbest post I've ever read, including my own. Kind of like "I'm still in diapers, can I go ice skating?"

Theoreticaly you can learn on any bike. I thought my 18 year old brother on my Suzuki Bandit 1200S (that he bought for me in January). You should definetely have somebody there with you to show you and coach you though.
Good Luck
smile.gif

Back