howd u learn to Ride?

homeade briggs 3 hp mini bike... top speed = 28 mph. rode dirt for 15+ yrs...

got a busa.... not much else to tell.
cool.gif

lol! i started on a 3HP and welded remains of a swingset as a frame and winded down my mini career on a 4! That bike was sick, specially when my dad's home made brakes gave out on me!

The Busa is my first bike. My father taught me in 2 hrs in a parking lot May 9, 05. I went back to the parking lot by myself May 10, 05 for about an hour my self. I left the parking lot and went straight to the street. By the way I live in the city of Boston. My learning curve was that much crazier due to city traffic. I'm not going to tell you to get a Busa as your first bike, and I'm not going to tell you not to get one as your first bike.  I'm just saying it was my first bike, and I'm doing fine. Again, I live in the city with the worst driving conditions.  If you do get a Busa as your first bike tell your self:

-If I act an a$$ on the bike I'm going to get hurt or killed!!
-If I crack to temptation w/ the throttle w/ no experience I will get hurt or killed!!
-If I want to race an a$$ in a car because I want to prove I'm the man on the fastest bike w/ no experience I could get hurt or killed!!

Harsh but true reality.  As many members told me when I first posted about my first bike being a busa "Any bike can kill you, but a  Busa will just do it Faster."  The rider course is great. I can ride my bike a 1000x's better, but those little 250cc thingies are no comparison.  Every time I get on that beast I come to the plate w/ my best rookie "A" game I've got. The final decision is yours!
Damn Chowan24 -

If you live by the words you spoke.. I am seriously impressed.

Good on ya....

I learned on an 85 Honda Nighthawk 450. Rode it around the neighborhood circle about 200 times, worked my way onto the streets with no traffic, got comfortable and now ill ride wherever. Not that im telling you not to, but besides hurting or killing yourself, another reason not to get a Busa as a first bike is the cost of the plastics. You drop it 1 time without the frame sliders on it and you could be out some sreious $$$

The Busa is my first bike. My father taught me in 2 hrs in a parking lot May 9, 05. I went back to the parking lot by myself May 10, 05 for about an hour my self. I left the parking lot and went straight to the street. By the way I live in the city of Boston. My learning curve was that much crazier due to city traffic. I'm not going to tell you to get a Busa as your first bike, and I'm not going to tell you not to get one as your first bike.  I'm just saying it was my first bike, and I'm doing fine. Again, I live in the city with the worst driving conditions.  If you do get a Busa as your first bike tell your self:

-If I act an a$$ on the bike I'm going to get hurt or killed!!
-If I crack to temptation w/ the throttle w/ no experience I will get hurt or killed!!
-If I want to race an a$$ in a car because I want to prove I'm the man on the fastest bike w/ no experience I could get hurt or killed!!

Harsh but true reality.  As many members told me when I first posted about my first bike being a busa "Any bike can kill you, but a  Busa will just do it Faster."  The rider course is great. I can ride my bike a 1000x's better, but those little 250cc thingies are no comparison.  Every time I get on that beast I come to the plate w/ my best rookie "A" game I've got. The final decision is yours!
Damn Chowan24 -

If you live by the words you spoke.. I am seriously impressed.

Good on ya....
I did just that my friend. I took every heart spoken word from these board members when they posted in my topic and stored it in the front of my forehead. These board members aren't here to thrash you. They taught me alot about the bike and I don't Focker around on it. They've been there and done it. So I listened with open ears. This bike is not for the weak minded.  We've got some crazy riders on this board, but I can guarantee the same thoughts pass through their minds.  All of us on this site know what we got our selves into when we bought this bike.  Every time I say Hayabusa around my friends they go into convulsions and the infamous words come out "your going to kill your self" or "Isn't that the bike in the Guiness book of world records" or"Your a better man than me, I'd kill myself on that bike" and last and the most stupid "I couldn't control my self on a bike like that."  Who ever says the last one about the bike I hope they never buy one because there goes all of our insurance rates.  If you buy one as your first bike you better have a strong mental Game Plan ready.

<!--EDIT|chowan24
Reason for Edit: None given...|1116857769 -->

I learned on an 85 Honda Nighthawk 450.  Rode it around the neighborhood circle about 200 times, worked my way onto the streets with no traffic, got comfortable and now ill ride wherever.  Not that im telling you not to, but besides hurting or killing yourself, another reason not to get a Busa as a first bike is the cost of the plastics.  You drop it 1 time without the frame sliders on it and you could be out some sreious $$$
You make a great point Kesler. This guy is 18 yrs old. More than likely when he drops the bike dad pays for it. Not his money, dads money. If you have to worry about dropping it more than likely your going to get hurt anyways because your not focusing on riding the bike. Instead your worrying how am I going to be able to afford to purchase a new fairing. The only thing you should be doing when your on the bike is focusing on riding the bike to the best of your ability. If your planning your first fall and are worried about the cost, dump the busa thought and get something used.

Like they said ...start with the Motorcycle Safety Course then after completing it consider buying a nice used 250-500cc bike for your on the road practice..........My dad put me on a little Honda 50cc when I was 12 and I've been riding every since.I personally think you learn better on off road trails but I do have plenty of friends that started riding on the street that have done pretty well.......Good Luck

dirt bikes.. hehe although fairly more advanced dirt bikes than these old codgers running around here.. lol (a converted swingset?? I want a pic! )

just pickin' on the old fellars...

learned to ride on a friends JR50 automatic dealie..

begged the parents for 3 years till they finally gave in and helped me buy a kd80 kwaki.. just moved up the ranks in dirt bikes... a 125.. couple kdx200's (god I loved those bikes!) first "road" (i use the term loosly) was a NX125 honda dual sport... mainly it sucked on the road cuz it was too light, and not enough power.. and it sucked on the dirt because it was too heavy,,, and not enough power. I basically took over his DR350 for a year or two then got a ex250 (the little ninja these guys are talking about) great little bike to learn on.. looks pretty good, runs pretty good, and they are tough/cheap.

finally got a "real" road bike 750 katana (whoo hoo!! finally I can hit a honest 100mph) rode that awhile.. then a gsxr750.. then the busa..

all that over the course of about 12 years.

Funny thing is now that I've got a really big bike my eyes keep looking at smaller, naked bikes. so I bought a 750 ducati monster and ride it more than the 'busa lately.

if it weren't for the maintenance required I would recommend the ducati.. it's a great little bike.. but 400$ every 6,000 miles is a bit disturbing to a newb rider.

I recommend one of these two bikes..

the sv650 suzuki.. great handling, cheap, and mainly sport oriented..but the insurance will be high..

or a DL650 vstrom.. cheaper insurance.. doesn't handle quite as well.. but still a damn good, tough, very versatile bike so you can figure out what you really wanna do. tour, backroads, twisties.. it does everything well.

The class is a MUST!!! Just for starters. I'm a newbie too but Busa was not my first bike. I can't imagine starting out on a Busa after two hours with my dad!!!!! It is a great ride but heed the advice of all these veterans! They know what they are talking about! They give good advice!

I've never heard of this MSF course. We have a motorcycle course locally but it's just a day course and shows you the basics...I don't think they offer it in Canada.

I learned most of my riding when I was 6-13 on 4 wheelers and snowmobiles then I got a street and trail bike (88 Suzuki DR200) when I was 14 and basically learned how to drive on 2 wheels that way. I had a lot of crashes and wipeouts but it was always because I was going too fast on dirt roads or trails. I loved that bike. I ended up selling it and getting a 450 nighthawk which was a great first street bike. I drove it for a few years ALL THE TIME and I ended getting another dirtbike (2001 honda XR200) and I did a lot of stupid stuff on it on dirt roads and trails just mainly wheelies and jumps. The motor went in the XR200 and I junked it and bought an 86 XL350R. Drove that for a week and the motor went in it so I bought my busa.

I just taught myself how to ride. You really need to start small IMHO because if you are just learning to ride unless you are being extremely overcautious or just a lucky b@stard crashing is inevitable. And it hurts too. Even on a small dirtbike going over in a third gear wheelie will cause you to go into a world of pain. Better to learn this on a small cheap bike than a nice hayabusa.

im about 5'7" and weigh like 160. i cant seem to find an motorcycle saftey course in south texas but ima keep lookin. i see that the texas dps has a motorcycle course but a friend told me that u needed to know how to ride before you go and they just teach u how to use turn signals and stop at lights. is it cool for a total newbie to take a motor cycle saftey course? do they put you on a bike or is it just verba lessons?
rock.gif
id hate to look like a dumbass and lay the bike over or somin
blush.gif

<!--EDIT|EyeCantRide
Reason for Edit: None given...|1116859412 -->

im about 5'7" and weigh like 160. i cant seem to find an motorcycle saftey course in south texas but ima keep lookin. i see that the texas dps has a motorcycle course but a friend told me that u needed to know how to ride before you go and they just teach u how to use turn signals and stop at lights. is it cool for a total newbie to take a motor cycle saftey course? do they put you on a bike or is it just verba lessons?
rock.gif
id hate to look like a dumbass and lay the bike over or somin
blush.gif
My wife had never even driven a clutch vehicle in her life. She went to the class, rode their bikes, and within a few days had her license.

Kevin

i found that my local community college has a motorcycle 101 class that im gonna call in a few days. So these places dont require you have your own bike? unlike the dps were u provide your own
smile.gif

three weeks ago my best friend bought a sv1000s he had never rode a bike before and dropped slowly within the first hour in a big parking lot he dropped it 2 more times in his yard. he has not given up he rides it everyday and comes by my house (i live about 12 miles from him) every other day to read my book Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch he said it has helped him alot as it has me . he has improved much in the last couple of weeks . but i still quiz him and drill him on rideing in traffic we went out the other day and did some serious practice on breaking (one skill to master if your gonna ride) we also went several miles down some gravel roads (pretty trippy on the Busa) but thats what we do ride and practice I have ridden pretty much all my life and i have never been on anything like the Busa it can be a mean MF or a sweet bike just depends on that right hand the throttle on the Busa is very responcieve and that may be the only problem i see haveing one for your first bike my friend rode another friend of mines wife ninja 250 for about an hour and it made a big differance in how he did on the sv if you get the Busa find a small bike to ride on for a bit to get comfortable with the controls then find a big empty parking lot and slowly ride the busa around and kinnda get the feel of it ( you will see what i mean about the throttle right off ) log in some time in that parking lot then pick a real slow traffic time early sunday morning is good and start practicing learn those BRAKES and learn to steer it and that Throttle give yourself plenty of time and use good since always remember the busa is to be respected because it can go beyond most peoples rideing skills in a matter of seconds >>>RAce1gun

Ours is pretty comprehensive. They do put you on a bike. It is a 3 days course which starts with classroom stuff and a manual. Then you spend half a day getting comfy with the basics like how to feather the clutch and turning basics. Then they put you through all kinds of "road courses" . Teaches you how to approach corners and obstacles and what to do in emergencies. Emergency stops and swerving and having to straighten out in a corner. Where to travel in a lane and with group riding. Keeping your safety cushion with other motorist (cagers). Really good safety stuff. They cover riding gear and bike safety checks. Just like pilots who have a check list for stuff like tire pressure, lights, brakes, etc. After that you take the written exam and if you pass that you take the driving exam. In this state, if you pass in this class, you just produce your passing card at the DMV and get your endorsement.

It is well worth it if you can find one like that in your state.

PS: I'm 5'9" and weigh 130. I handle this bike quite well. Just respect the throttle. I had one accident (Not on my Busa) and it was such an innocent mistake. One we all have to learn. (DO NOT USE YOUR FRONT BRAKE IN THE GRAVEL!!!!!)
Slow speed stop at the last minute. Slid right out from under me at about 5-10 miles per hour. Not one scratch on my bike other than the foot peg bent up a bit and the mirror moved. But $4,000 out of pocket (after insurance) later and ACL surgery to repair the knee damage taught me a valuable lesson.

I started riding many years ago on a mini bike. Progressed up through the 100cc,125cc, and 175cc dirt bikes before I bought first road bike. That was a 750 Magna in 1983. Rode it hard with no respect or brains for 2 years before selling. Also had road time on friends 1100's. That was 20 years ago. I have gotten the itch again and am seriously looking to get back to riding. Looking at a Busa this time around as I am a big guy at 6'4" 225. I have signed up and will take the MSF before buying bike just to get some skills back. It's been said before. You can disrespect ANY bike and get yourself or someone else killed. A bike like the Hayabusa will just make it easier for those with no control to do the job. Take a course, buy good gear and ride smart.

Back