Why can't you learn on a Busa?

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!! Get a 600 first. Yes, they can do 140-160 mph, but they aren't as heavy and don't have the lowend torque. I can tell you first hand, THE BUSA IS A BEAST WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE MUCH EXPERIENCE. The first time I road my buds Busa on the Street, I had about 1500 miles under my belt on my 83 maxim 400. Never road a sport bike before, stood it up at 12:00, #### my pants,
blush.gif
when it landed, it went into a tank slapper, I almost bought a $10,000 from him that would have been rashed. Luckily, I got out of it. The thing is, he said I was a very good rider from what he had seen of my riding, but that means nothing when you got that much lowend to lift the wheel at a small amount of throttle. I've got a 900rr right now, and I ride his Busa every once in a while, but you may grow to like a bike that's lighter than the busa. I just think the Busa is WAY too much for a beginner. That's just my .02 though.
cool.gif

P.S. Remember the old saying "There are two types of riders, those that have been down, and those that WILL go down." The inevitable will happen, if it's bad or not so bad, it will happen. Mine did, damn cage driving cell phone users!
mad.gif
Above all else, dress for the crash, not the ride, cause sweat wipes off, skin graphs don't.

I've never ridden a bike a day in my life. I do plan on getting a bike soon enough though, the thing is.. I know how to shift on a bike, from what I read.. it's relatively simple.

If someones whos driven a high horsepower car for several years, and has a good feel for the road.. would he be considered a complete beginner if he were to say start on a Busa?

I mean, I know if you know how to drive a really powerful car, why couldn't you learn on a powerful bike? :p If that makes any sense, I mean the concept of shifting in a car shouldn't be much different from shifting on a bike should it?

So long as you don't punch it, shouldn't it be relatively easy to learn on if you already know how to drive stick?

And lastly, if you stall a bike say in first gear .. what happens exactly?
"Why can't you learn on a Busa?"

I don't know who told you that but if you are physically able to handle the bike and have the mental capacity to learn how to ride it safely, any bike can be 'learn'/ridden.  

although a great bike, the busa is still a bike and it functions the same way as other bikes i.e., same hand brake, clutch, throttle, turn signals, foot brake, etc.

some people like to blame the bike(s) but just like guns, it's really the person behind it.

<!--EDIT|willgetbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1125859001 -->

Prepare your legs with plenty of "Squats" and "calf raises" etc. because if you keel over at a slight angle - the heavy Busa will come down....and fast...in the parking lot
smile.gif

Honestly - how many of you have been caught napping and dropped the Busa in your garage eh? Be honest now!
laugh.gif

Alright first let me say hi and glad to be part of the board finally. I have read posts and topics for nearly a year. Now about this topic...one of my best friends has been riding since he was 15 (we are 20 now). While he was 15, his dad purchased a brand new 2001 blue/silver busa. When my friend turned 16, his dad gave him the busa. He has been riding it ever since. I have ridden it a few times myself (having never rode anything but a dirt bike). Almost 2 months ago my friends brother turned 16 and got his riding permit. At this time my friends dad purchased for my friend a 2005 red/blk busa and my friend gave the 2001 to his brother. That made things for me even better as now my friend and I can ride together. I still don't own my own bike (college hurts the wallet). All I have ever ridden is a hayabusa. I feel that if you have any sort of a head on your shoulders, you can start on any bike you want. Having the maturity and self control to know that you suck at riding and not try and impress people is the key. Turning of course scared me at first...especially on the busa. One of the things that helped me was when my friend told me to just slam on the back break and lock it up (at a slower speed)...just so I knew what it would feel like and not get scared if there was ever a situation in which I had to slam on the break. I am by no means a advanced rider, but this is just my 2 cents worth.

By the way...after 5 years of riding the busa, my friends has never had an accident, never gotten a ticket, and never even gotten pulled over. I guess it just depends on the rider but in my mind if you are mature enough to ride a bike safely, then you should be able to start on any bike you wish.

If you ride smart, cautious, and feel you are physically able to handle the bike ( both weight, balance and reaction ) then you will most likely be fine. My suggestion: Go order yourself a new 2006 busa. In the mean time get yourself a small dirt bike like an XR100 for a couple hundred bucks, use it to learn the basics of riding a motorcycle , ride the wheels off that thing until you can ride it without thinking twice. THEN... go take the MSF course, for sure, by the time your new busa arrives, you should at least be able to ride the bike without a problem, just realize the potential the bike has. I trained both my mother and sisters with this technique and it works pretty well.
biggrin.gif

..and your logic sucks. It does not work that way... example, you wont fall off your car if your wheels lock in breaking or you wont see em stars if you let the clutch out too fast in the first gear.

Do you get what i'm trying to convey to you here mate!!
ditto ditto ditto ...

Couldn't have put it better myself...

Shifting is the least of your worries when buying a bike....you need to know how to find the biting point on your cutch, you need to learn how to perform emergency maneouvers to get yourself out of trouble..and yada yada yada...learn how to ride before you learn how to fly.... I'm sure you'll enjoy the busa more once you know how to ride...

A lot of good info here. Remember, most Busa guys and gals are the older crowd. Meaning the more experienced riders.Take what they say to heart. Enough said. Pls don't kill yourself becase you picked the wrong bike to learn on.

Welcome to this site!

Go ahead and get it , I know alot of people that need the parts .(just joking) Take a saftey course first or ride a bike first at least . If you have driven fast cars and I don't mean regular ones I mean FAST cars would you give it to someone that has never driven but says " I read about it and i've gone fast on my bicycle!

i would consider myself a good rider(especially in the turns hehe:cool: ) but i have only drivin a standard car for a few miles. completely different. so i would say can u drive a bike? probably yes. will u beable to do it well no!!! easier and cheaper to do it on a smaller bike.

The busa was my first bike. I have been riding it now for 5 months. It is not that bad to learn on, as long as you respect it!

No offense, but Im not sure if this thread is a joke, or if this is truely serious. If your honestly asking the following - " if you stall a bike say in first gear .. what happens exactly?" & make comments like - "So long as you don't punch it, shouldn't it be relatively easy to learn on if you already know how to drive stick?"

I think some people can handle just about anything as long as they approach the situation correctly, but when you make the above statements, Im truely hoping this thread is just a joke. I say this in respect for your safety and well being. Im not sure where to even go with my comments on this thread.

If this is a serious post, first off welcome to the forums. Secondly, buy what you want - it is your cash. Third, books can really help a person out, but you must have some understanding of how a motorcycle works /rides before you can apply what you learned. Sure, I can read a book on juggling, and yup it is my choice to try to juggle, and it is my decision to start off juggling bean-bags, or chainsaws. My logic would be to start off slow (Bean-bags) than move up from there.

People hate to be told "You can't do it", so Im not gonna tell you not to, because I don't want my comments to contribute to your decision making. Please read what the folk's around here have to say. Heck, if you go out and get a Busa in the morning - cool...Im sure you will be stoked, but before you decide to test what you learned in the books, do some more reading here- than re-read it- and re-re-read it again.

The members here are unique, and full of knowledge on this particular motorcycle. Use their knowledge to your advantage, and make some informed decisions. Fast cars are cool, but they are a world apart from fast bikes. Good luck to you in what ever you decide and if you get your self a Busa - "God speed" my friend.

Every body who is saying that if you know how to drive a HIgh HP car than youll be fine on a busa is smoking crack or just doent know ####. Cars and bikes are completely different like night and day. A 5 year old kid or a monkey could drive a car but not a heavy ass powerfull ass bike like the busa. Besides a Viper aint #### to a busa anyways.
wink.gif

The Busa has a longer wheelbase and is heavier than the super sport's meaning it's alot less wheelie prone and more stable on the roads so if you wana big sport bike i'd go for a busa over a k5 or a r1 as your first bike. Alot people have done this with no probs..

But saying that a high HP car is just like riding a busa is stupid though..

<!--EDIT|ICEMAN PR
Reason for Edit: None given...|1125917235 -->

Below is a typical story of things gone bad. This rider had some riding experience, but obviously little or none of it was on a Hayabusa. Now... imagine yourself, a rider with zero experience throwing your leg over this machine. And for grins, imagine when all that low-end torque kicks in, and the below senario starts to unfold, you find yourself out-of-control and crossing the yellow line into on-coming traffic. Bingo! In a split second, your fun ends. Game over [quite possibly your life].

In the situation below this rider was seriously lucky only his ankle was run-over. It could have just as easily been his head or chest. One thing I've noticed that's very unique about the Suzuki Hayabusa is it tends to weed-out the inexperienced, show-offs, and/or stupid riders. Obviously people are wishing you "luck" for a very good reason.
director.gif
Heed their warning!

(I applaud the earlier post where a dealership actually refused to sell a Busa to person claiming they had no experience. Damn... There actually is good, honest dealers out there!)

Copied from a recent post:

"I thought I'd tell my "wheelie story" since everyone seems to be drawn to the subject. Before I bought my busa, two years ago my friend had two of them and he let me ride his silver 02. Well I was pulling the second gear thing(whackin the throttle) The front end came up VERY abruply and the wheel was turned in mid air. When it came down (@around100mph) it slammed down and threw me I dont how many feet. I received a concussion, a car ran over my ankle, and I went through 2 extensive surgerys on my left hand. Four of my fingers had compound fractures. I still can't close my hand and make a full fist. Anyways two years later I had to have one. Let me tell you, I have a world more respect for this beast and never underestimate its ridiculous power. I will admit I was riding with my balls and not my brain. Like everyone says just crwal before you walk. Take baby steps and be careful if you are gonna walk it. ( I gave my friend a 1994 zx6 to TRY and compensate for his loss.) I guess I really bit the hand that feeds."

You will read a few posts about a few people that have successfully learned on a Busa, but IMHO, the Busa definitely reduced their odds of living through the learning experience.

For what it's worth the busa is my first bike. I have ridden many miles on friends' bikes, but never owned my own until May of this year. I also raced motocross for about 4 years, and that seemed to help a little bit. I now have 4500 miles on the busa and so far so good. You must respect your ride, especially if it's a busa.

Your right, I'm a dumbass. End of Story.

I'll stick with a 600cc bike, as thats all they allow for the learners stage of your license anyways. The wholeprocess to get yoru full license takes 30 days, oh well..

Thanks for all the advice, bye.

I am also a straight in the seat of a busa first owner. I am at 14,000 miles on it now and absolutely would not have started on anything else. I have wheelied it and learned to rail the turns pretty good. You can do it to. just don't be stupid and respect the bike till your skills begin to develop on it and you will be fine. Just watch out though she is a beast.

Well, my first road bike was a hayabusa. I had a lot of fun with it and even rode it during the winter here in Boston. Although I had rode some dirtbikes in the past, nothing could have prepared me for what I saw with the busa. The busa is both comfortable and strong yet rowdy when you want it to be.
I do not have anything against using it as your first bike but if you are trying to get it to do stupid things such as wheelies and other stunts in public roads, I would recommend you get like a Honda 250 and learn there before trying it on a hayabusa. Now, if you are conscious and responsible, then why wait, get on a busa and take it easy and most of all, have fun.
BTW, I had to sell mine due to a little one I had coming his way and I needed to get the wife a new car. Now, I am on the lookout again and I cannot wait for what Suzuki has to offer for 2006. A lot of rumors out there.

peace!!!
jim
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
wow.gif
rock.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Now, if you are conscious and responsible, then why wait, get on a busa and take it easy and most of all, have fun. [/QUOTE]

As opposed to being unconcious and responsible? LOL
Just fugging with you.

Do yourself, your family, friends and US (mainly so we dont get jacked up insurance rates) a favor!! Take the MSF beginning ridercourse. You learn so much about riding and it may just help you to reevaluate your Busa decision. Busa is a fine motorcycle but only if you RESPECT (keyword here that EVERYONE HERE WILL PREACH TO YOU). Riding a fast car and a fast bike are TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS!! You won't have that "safety net" on a motorcycle if you make errors. At least with a car, you won't fall over and hit the pavement. Learn about the different types of accidents (lowside, highside, broadside) and how they are caused and could prolly be prevented. Let us know how things are going and welcome to the board!!
What he said!!!!!

Back