howd u learn to Ride?

EyeCantRide

Registered
Im just curious as to how u guys learned to ride motorcycles in general. Ive been dying to learn but i have no one to teach me. I recently have become interested because a friends dad offered to sell me his busa but from what id hear id probably kill myself seeing as how i have no xpereience. I think i cud teach myself like i have driving stick shift but when i made mistakes driving stick i stalled out. learning a bike im afraid itll hurt alot. Also what do u recommend as a good bike to buy. I know im not good but i dont wanna buy some lil bike to learn on that tops out at like 50 mph. i heard the honda cbr is good but i dunno. ne tips would be greatly appreciated. btw im 18
-Deuce

Find a MSF course in your area. It'll be the smartest 50 bucks you will spend.

As far as what bike to get....What type of riding do you want to do? How big are you? Lots of questions to be answered to get a correct answer.

If you lean towards sport, and you arent a real big guy, then the SV650 is a great choice for a first ride.

If you never ridden anything on two wheels beside a bike then I suggest you start out on a Ninja 250 or so. Dont play the fool and get a Busa.
Ride the 250 for 4-5 months and 3-4K miles....if your feeling good about things the get the Busa.

listen to these guys...
idea.gif

don't make me bring out the "Newbie Brain Fixer".

I learned by the crash and burn method on a Hodaka Dirt Squirt. I convinced the owner I had ridden a manual clutch bike before, but my only experience had been with mini trails with centrifugal clutches. Somehow I grasped the concept of the clutch and the story had a very happy ending.

i learned usitn the Idiots guid to motorcycles. Taught me how to use the clutch brake gears, maintence and even some survival tips. I then used that to get a permit so i could drive on base to take teh MSF course. Cost my ass 175 bucks though
wink.gif

The Busa is my first bike. My father taught me in 2 hrs in a parking lot May 9, 05. I went back to the parking lot by myself May 10, 05 for about an hour my self. I left the parking lot and went straight to the street. By the way I live in the city of Boston. My learning curve was that much crazier due to city traffic. I'm not going to tell you to get a Busa as your first bike, and I'm not going to tell you not to get one as your first bike.  I'm just saying it was my first bike, and I'm doing fine. Again, I live in the city with the worst driving conditions.  If you do get a Busa as your first bike tell your self:

-If I act an a$$ on the bike I'm going to get hurt or killed!!
-If I crack to temptation w/ the throttle w/ no experience I will get hurt or killed!!
-If I want to race an a$$ in a car because I want to prove I'm the man on the fastest bike w/ no experience I could get hurt or killed!!

Harsh but true reality.  As many members told me when I first posted about my first bike being a busa "Any bike can kill you, but a Busa will just do it Faster."  The rider course is great. I can ride my bike a 1000x's better, but those little 250cc thingies are no comparison.  Every time I get on that beast I come to the plate w/ my best rookie "A" game I've got. The final decision is yours!

The Busa is my first bike. My father taught me in 2 hrs in a parking lot May 9, 05. I went back to the parking lot by myself May 10, 05 for about an hour my self. I left the parking lot and went straight to the street. By the way I live in the city of Boston. My learning curve was that much crazier due to city traffic. I'm not going to tell you to get a Busa as your first bike, and I'm not going to tell you not to get one as your first bike.  I'm just saying it was my first bike, and I'm doing fine. Again, I live in the city with the worst driving conditions.  If you do get a Busa as your first bike tell your self:

-If I act an a$$ on the bike I'm going to get hurt or killed!!
-If I crack to temptation w/ the throttle w/ no experience I will get hurt or killed!!
-If I want to race an a$$ in a car because I want to prove I'm the man on the fastest bike w/ no experience I could get hurt or killed!!

Harsh but true reality.  As many members told me when I first posted about my first bike being a busa "Any bike can kill you, but a  Busa will just do it Faster."  The rider course is great. I can ride my bike a 1000x's better, but those little 250cc thingies are no comparison.  Every time I get on that beast I come to the plate w/ my best rookie "A" game I've got. The final decision is yours!
good points way to say it...

Bought a bike, and was told were clutch, breaks throttle ect... was... and pretty much off I went... was a Yamaha DT250D. Got it home, do not ask how never road one before that day... Took 20-30 min riding around the house, then the neighborhood, and within a few days/week I was off and running... a year or so Later got an RD 400F Daytona Special and thats that and went from their...

Ya know, this might get some laughs (not that I care...) but for a small to mid sized rider, the buell blast is a great first bike. Easy to handle and cheap, (pick up a used one for about 2500).
I've started 15 or 20 riders on the blast, and although it isn't a long term machine, it does the job.

Do not get a Busa for a first ride.

Suzuki's '04 brochure specifically states; "engineered for experienced riders only".

They say it for a good reason.

This what Rubbah did to me after having a Newbie Wheelie discussion with him a while ago!

I still don't think I've recovered fully!

Don't make him turn it back on! The pain! The PAIN!
AAAssjani.gif

<!--EDIT|TruWrecks
Reason for Edit: None given...|1116844142 -->

post_6_39746_turbo_brain_fixer_2.jpg

rode minibikes age 6-9, dirt bikes 10-15, steeet bikes 16-now.
Learned on the dirt with lots of stunts, driving like a madman racing MX, and wiping out a fair share.

for an adult just starting, an MSF course is the place to start no doubt. That and a bike that is light and one that u don't mind dropping a few times would be the best way to begin.

Back