howd u learn to Ride?

I cut my teeth on a Suzuki TS185 (enduro type) for 6 years. Had balls of fun on that tooling around fields and gravel pits. At 19 picked up a Suzuki GT750 "water buffalo"- the first production water cooled bike- 2 stroke triple. Handled like a pig but was quick off the line with that high-revving 2 stroke. Had that for 8 years, then sold it when I relocated.

Bought a Bandit 1200S 15 years later. Enjoyed that for 2 years but after drooling over the Busa I traded it in and now couldn't be happier.

One comment- I think dirt riding is great experience but it doesn't automatically make you a good street rider. I found out how ignorant I was of street riding principles and techniques when I read Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist 2. Highly recommended.

Ride safe
smile.gif

I learnt to ride on a 100 cc!! ..and I think I did the right thing. Im no expert rider, but my weight does become a disabality in riding a motorcyle to its fullest extent. Advantages of learning on a 100 - 175 cc motorcycle!!

a) You cant go too fast so you get to learn the controlls better at lower speeds
b) Not too much of weight to bother about
c) Repairs are cheap
d) Relatively you hurt yourself less if you fall off one of those
e) No un intentional wheelies
f) You get a used one for pretty cheap!! You can learn to ride on one for a couple of months... until you are confident... and then can always go up to a bigger bike!!

...Im not saying that you cannot learn on the 600's or a busa... a focused person can learn riding on any bike!! But, seriously... the nail biting experiences of learing on a high powerd bike are just not worth it.

Having said that... its your life, its your money and its your bike!! The call is finally yours...
smile.gif

...oh, and one more thing. You have a facilty of a MSF course in the US!! Lots of countries in the world have no such courses... we learn to ride on our own. You have a good opertunity... make use of it!!

Whatever bike you decide upon, be sure to take the MSF course!!

...and welcome to the board
biggrin.gif

You think the swingset idea was bad, my dad made me a dirt bike out of about three of the old PVC pipe chairs and a 3HP tecumseh vertical shaft. It squeeked like hell but was damn strong. But then again I probably weighed 70 pounds back then.

The MSF course is really nice, people should really go and take it. I have been riding bikes almost my whole life and I learned a few things.

Plus to usually get to scrape pegs on those 250, i know this because I have seen ME do it.

Here's another reason to start with a smaller bike, aside from it being for safety is that you don't want to start out on top of the game with your first bike. Building up let's you discover different things about different bikes and when you finally do get a large CC bike you can appreciate it for what it is and not what you only know.

Back