Kawasaki (ZX-14R) and Sport Rider Magazine.......Tell us how you really feel!!

If I buy a new ZX14R I hope Suzuki doesn't bring out anything new for awhile! If they wait 5 years then I will be ok with it,:race:

What's getting the most seat time nowadays, your S1000RR, or the Busa?

6500 Miles on the Beemer since last yr. 2500 miles on the busa. I must say, i don't ride the Busa as hard now, After getting the Bmw. But I do how ever Enjoy riding both Bikes..

Where have I seen this before? ?? Oh Yeah, when the Busa stomped on my steed the Super Blackird. Well for those of you who weren't around then Honda didn't answer back. They just sort of got out of the game. Lets hope that Suzi doesn't follow suit. What it did for me though is make me a more educated and mature consumer. I learned that I didn't need to chase the hype of the moment to be happy. I only wish that the article had come out last year so that I might have got a better deal on my recent Busa purchase. Find what makes you happy, not what the marketing department feeds you. Good thread OP!
Yep when the original busa came out with its 20+hp over everything else and top speed and acceleration to match, it got ALOT of attention from world governments. Enough that the bike makers decided it was best to limit top speeds willingly before things were limited for them. Ever since then the bike makers have been afraid to make hp improvements in more than little steps. Nobody wanted to make that big leap. The new 14 has taken the 20+hp route over everything again, just like the original busa. I'm actually amazed kawi grew the brass kahunas to do it....congrats to them :thumbsup: I'm still waiting to see what reaction the world governments have to this....its a very big "in your face" from kawi to a more and more politically correct and "eco friendly' world lol.
With suzuki's current financial position, and their 'leave things alone attitude', plus the risk of stirring up legislation by raising the bar any higher right now, I don't see the busa changing any for at least a few years. Its still a legendary bike with ridiculous power to back it up. I just hope they keep it around :please:
I think the new 14 is going to rule the roost for a very long time just like the zx11 did back in the day :laugh:
All I can say is I'm glad I turbocharged my 06 14.......bring on the new 14R, I'm ready! :boxing:

It's only about bragging rights--that's all.

What's amazing is the fact that the Japanese manufacturers feel the need to make significant strides each and every year--I guess to stay on top of AMA and WSBK--and to ensure that if you win on Sunday, you sell on Monday.

Too bad racing isn't more separated from the real world. Instead, this year's road bike is probably quicker than the racing bike from several years ago.

All I know is that when I tell someone that I ride a busa they know exactly what I am talking about whether they are a motorcycle enthusiast or not. Do you think ZX14 riders can say that?

Being THE KING isn't just about numbers on a page.

oh the agony Chris, c'mon
THIS SUCKS !!!!

:laugh:
Ah heck it aint THAT bad. My piped/geared/all the bolt-ons gen 1 busa has all the power I need on most roads I ride. And when its time for the ridiculous excess I jump on my turbo 14....completely impractical acceleration wise for anything but huge long straights, and wheelies on demand if you don't ease on the throttle in all the gears at stock wheelbase (I know it needs stretched, but I like stock length and height lol). But man is it a mind blowing g-force rush!!!! But what I was saying is that the current gen2 busa and bikes with similiar power have more than most roads will let you use anyway, unless you're into roll-on or drag racing. These bikes eat up road crazy fast.
Honestly I would be just fine with my gen1's power levels for my kind of riding if it was my only bike :thumbsup: Thats why its not getting any more power adder mods....
I do understand the bragging rights thing tho....maybe why I have the turbo? :laugh: Nahh, actually I just love the launched into space feeling when I twist the throttle :beerchug: :thumbsup:

It took Kawi 12 years to step up and they did ,its a bad a$$ bike ! What else can you say !

It took Kawi 12 years to step up

I think this is something we all need to remember. Relax a bit and give Suzuki a chance to respond....the throne has been a pretty comfy spot over the past 12 years so give the King a chance to wake up, brush teeth, have a coffee and make a plan for todays challenge.:laugh:

I think this is something we all need to remember. Relax a bit and give Suzuki a chance to respond....the throne has been a pretty comfy spot over the past 12 years so give the King a chance to wake up, brush teeth, have a coffee and make a plan for todays challenge.:laugh:

LOL, love this statement!!

The Busa was number two when the S1000RR came out, and again with the Aprilia RSV4 R ARPC, and again with the MV Agusta F4... and now with the ZX-14. Does it matter? Not to me. The Hayabusa had a long run as number one and its reputation and street cred remain. People still get excited when they see my old Gen1 so there's still plenty of life left in the legend.

The new -14 is a big step up into the pole position but the reality is that a Gen2 Busa with a couple of easy mods will equal a stock one, and won't be that far behind mod for mod. The competition from Kawi is good for the breed but if Suzuki decides to walk away from this segment instead of fighting, so be it. I won't love my bike any less.

I do believe with all the weight involved on both bikes the busa is more nimble. I'm searching now to see if the Kawi has longer wheel base.

I'm certain they both have advantages the other does not. Doesn't take away from the legend and history of the mighty Hayabusa back in '99 when it first came out.

...I am debating pulling the trigger on a used model sometime around Xmas. The way depreciation works, I may have one in my garage from Ole St. Nick before the snow falls. With that said, clearly I definitely want a ZX14 now. Did not before, my '08 was plenty enough...sill is actually, but I want to try out the new technology, traction control and other gizmos. The extra displacement does not hurt either. I will say I don't care much for comparing a modified Busa to the new ZX14, because...once the ZX14 is modded, its in front again. Can you imagine the ZX14 with a fantastic, efficient ball bearing turbo setup? The extra displacement would come in handy for lighting that turbo. I am a fan of speed, not brand, so the Busa being dethroned...again, means nothing to me, I am glad it happened so maybe Suzuki might try to at least match if not beat the ZX14, if not, no big deal. We can have both.

I do believe with all the weight involved on both bikes the busa is more nimble. I'm searching now to see if the Kawi has longer wheel base.

I'm certain they both have advantages the other does not. Doesn't take away from the legend and history of the mighty Hayabusa back in '99 when it first came out.

The busa is not more nimble than the new 14R and the 14 is smoother and more planted. Great suspension on the new 14 and also the brakes are very easy to modulate and very strong. Just my .02! Stock for Stock, no comparison.

The busa is not more nimble than the new 14R and the 14 is smoother and more planted. Great suspension on the new 14 and also the brakes are very easy to modulate and very strong. Just my .02! Stock for Stock, no comparison.

OK, two questions....define "nimble" and why is "stock for stock" have any importance at all? If one really compares any two motorcycles, an assessment of the available aftermarket should be part of the equasion. It seems this post is fixated on "which bike puts more stock horsepower to the ground?" Isn't that an awfully limited criteria for comparison? Raydog

P1020668.JPG

OK, two questions....define "nimble" and why is "stock for stock" have any importance at all? If one really compares any two motorcycles, an assessment of the available aftermarket should be part of the equasion. It seems this post is fixated on "which bike puts more stock horsepower to the ground?" Isn't that an awfully limited criteria for comparison? Raydog

Nothing about horsepower in my post because I tell you when you are riding on the street there really is not that much difference. In an all out race there is a difference but I have not found a bike I couldn't keep up with on the street on either bike or much lesser powered bikes. The 14's suspension is upgraded from first gen and the bike handles very well for a 580lb machine. The weight really disappears right off the stand and is very easy to transition from one side to the other. It really gets all 580lbs around corners very well. Stock for stock is all about comfort and ease of use for me.

i have to say that im impressed with the new 14r. it updated everything, power, brakes, suspension, looks. to me you cant compare the bmw to either of these bikes since its a 1000. the magazines have to put the buse name down since its the only other bike in this class, yamaha and honda are too scared to step up. i look at it as till the busa showed up the crown switched every couple years just like the 1000 liter bikes do now. the busa kept the crown for 12 years, thats crazy long and for that it will never be forgotten. will everyone go buy a new 14r, no because we love our bikes too much. i hope suzuki comes back with the sleeves rolled up and ready to take back its crown. if it doesnt it wont matter to me because i love my 01 and will continue to ride her.to me its still the king i will always remember as the best.:bowdown:

Back