Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R vs Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R: Make Love, Not War

TheDayday

Registered
So on Saturday I finally got my Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R. I only rode it for 10 minutes because of the weather (about 20 degrees, frozen rain water from the week in the parking lot, and freezing winds). I wasn't prepared to freeze to death or crash the bike from frozen parking lot pavement haha. My super duper early initial thoughts though, I sat back and forth between the Busa and the ZX-14R and the ZX-14R felt 10 times more comfortable to me. The Busa's handlebars are I think more aggressive, that combined with the fact that I'm not a tall guy contributes to my discomfort on the Busa. The ZX-14R has 2 power options: L and F I think? Don't exactly remember, all I know is I had it on the most powerful option. It has 3 traction modes, I put it on 3 because of the weather.

I was slightly disappointed with the ZX-14R's stock exhaust sound. I guess I was expecting it to be more aggressive than the Busa stock. Instead, it sounds the same as my Busa when it was stock in terms of decibel levels with the only difference being the exhaust note. I've since upgraded my Busa with Two Brothers slip-ons and it sounds like a beast. I'm planning on doing the same thing with the ZX-14R over the summer. I saw the Two Brothers video with their ZX-14R system and it sounds amazing. I do have a video of my Busa rev before the upgrade and the ZX-14R does sounds dignificantly louder, but I think that had more to do with the fact that I used an external mic for the ZX-14R video.

I turned a few corners on my 10 minutes and the ZX-14R feels heavier than the Busa, but rides very similarly. My Busa lost a few pounds with the Two Brothers exhaust so I'm sure that's why the ZX-14R felt heavier on turns. If I was blindfolded, I don't think I'd be able to tell if I was on the Busa or on the ZX-14R aside from the fact that I'd feel more comfortable on the ZX-14R. I hesitate to comment on the speed and acceleration because I don't think I even got out of 2nd gear. However, I honestly couldn't feel the difference. There is no, "OMG! This is out of this world so much faster!" Then again, I don't race. Maybe in the higher RPMs it becomes extremely obvious to pro racers, but for me I really didn't feel anything.

In conclusion, I love 'em both. Aesthetically, I have a bias towards the Busa because I love red accents on black and yeah... it's a Busa. But really at the end of the day I think these 2 bikes will really come down to the rider and/or the skills put behind the modifications. Looking back, I probably did get caught up in all the hype way back in November when this place almost turned into a ZX-14R forum. Overall, they're both awesome motorcycles and to me there's really no point in arguing which one is faster. Make love not war everyone. :)

Here's the video I'd like to share, hope everyone enjoys!

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbsup: on the new scoot! Look forward to more of your review with more seat time.

Congrasts and enjoy!

Maybe I missed something in you saying the place almost turned into a ZX-14R Forum...???
I don't recall that. I like my Hayabusa. It's plenty fast, looks a whole lot better to me than the 14 and the best part it's a Hayabusa.

Man I like the digital screen on the zx -14. Love my Busa though but that black looks beast

nice new bike. a little more seat time may reveal more differences.

pretty groovy to have both. :thumbs:

Thanks guys!

I think it was around November that there were a few heated threads about the ZX-14R.

Like I said, I still prefer the Hayabusa aesthetically. There's just something about the Busa logo and brand name, but they both look great. I'm going to paint the left and right fairings of the ZX-14R with either red or gold at some point since it looks so flat to me right now (exactly like Gadson's ZX-14Rs). Definitely, I'm sure I'll find more differences the more I ride 'em.

Spring can't come soon enough! I'm getting so sick of the North East. I wish there was teleportation technology. I'd run half way through the East Coast with the ZX-14R and then teleport my Busa to finish off my trip haha.

Now if someone could mod the ZX14R to fit the GENII fairings that would be bad ass!!
Congrats on the new Kawi:thumbsup: The black looks awesome!!

I'm having a blast on my new zx14r so far .. A few hiccups with the old zx14 parts fitting the new ZX14R but i'm getting it sorted out .. My first trip the the track at 64 inches i only got clean 2 runs .. 2 other runs were no good because the air shift didin't work .. I went with pretty tall gearing thinking it had pleanty of TQ to get good 60 footers ... My best was 1.41 and that is not good for me at all .. My old zx14 ran low to mid 1.30s .. Even with the too tall gearing i still pulled off a 5.59 @ 127.51 1/8 mile pass with my slow 60 footers .. I have the air shifter problem fixed ( fingers crossed ) and have the bike regeared lower .. The gearing now matches my old zx14 gearing and i put the bike out from 64 inches to 66 and 1/2 inches ..
I still have no P/C or tune yet , i wanted to see what it would do without a P/C tune on pump gas .. I'm still running the stock air filter ( no BMC or K&N to fit it on the market yet ) I feel pretty sure it will go mid to high 5.40s once i get my 60 footers down into the mid to low 1.30s ..

IMG_0251.jpg

Video of my 5.59 pass .. In the video you can hear the bike bogging off the line leaving at 5500 .. Also you can hear the bike spinning at the top end of the track ..

smokinzx14 5.59 @ 127.51 1/8 mile pass - YouTube

IMG_0245-1.jpg

Once i get all the problems ironed out at the 1/8 mile track i'll make a trip the the 1/4 track and see what she will do ..

Dayday, sounds like Baybay`s kids. :laugh:, looking to hear more about the bike.

Hey 1300HB, I guess the surgery went well.

Congrats on getting your baby back together! :thumbsup:
Can hear it slipping at the end of the track.. Nice clean run though. 89 octane?

How did I end up on this zx-14 forum.... Nooooo. J/k I took one for a Test ride, was nice but not for me seems on high speed your body takes on more wind drag then on my busa. Pluse the rear set is way to big to my liking.

Back